ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES350 Battery Drain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 09:48 PM
KDiggity
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started my lease on my 2020 ES 300h UL (not ES350, hopefully that's OK) in Feb 2020, before everything got locked down. Since then, I've only driven 3000 miles. Tuesday night, 12/8, I go to run some errands and the car wouldn't respond to the key. At first, I thought the fob battery was dead, but when I used the mechanical key to gain entry, no lights came on, nothing. My 12V battery was completely flat. It had been less than 48 hours since my last drive. The part that worries me about that so much is that the car gave absolutely zero advance warning that the battery was on the way out. No hard starting, nothing. I used my wife's car to jump start it and drove it around for 40 min. A few days later I took it in to the dealer and they ran a battery diagnostic. With no faulty cells found, they suggested I wasn't driving the car enough and that led to the flat battery. They actually suggested keeping it on a tender between drives. Not sure where these numbers come from but they also recommended driving at least 25 miles every other day. I keep the car garaged, car doors locked, and key fob in the house away from the car.
Old 12-15-20, 12:54 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by KDiggity
My 12V battery was completely flat. It had been less than 48 hours since my last drive. The part that worries me about that so much is that the car gave absolutely zero advance warning that the battery was on the way out. No hard starting, nothing. I used my wife's car to jump start it and drove it around for 40 min.
That sucks to hear. Back in late august I bought a gently used 2019 ES300H and service record history shows there was an issue with the battery. I don't know what was the service department did since I bought car from out of state. Knock on wood I haven't experience battery issue since I bought the car. From what I gathered online modern battery doesn't give general warnings like old days so they can start one day and next day falling off a cliff. Also it is ill advise to use another car to jump a modern vehicle with all the high tech gizmos as it can potentially fried the sensitive electronics. It is safer to use a portable jumper.

Last edited by ionian; 12-15-20 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 08:22 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

A few days later I took it in to the dealer and they ran a battery diagnostic. With no faulty cells found, they suggested I wasn't driving the car enough and that led to the flat battery. They actually suggested keeping it on a tender between drives. Not sure where these numbers come from but they also recommended driving at least 25 miles every other day. I keep the car garaged, car doors locked, and key fob in the house away from the car.
My opinion: I think this is pure BS simply because the dealership cannot identify a specific issue at the time you brought it in so they chose to speculate. My 2019 ES300h will sit for sometimes 6 to 8 weeks at a time as vacation schedules and use of the other vehicle sometimes leave it sitting in our garage for extended periods. It has been driven 2800 miles over the past 18 months since we purchased it due mostly to covid isolation (and a recent retirement ). It has never been on a battery tender and battery failure has never been an issue. I understand what they are saying, and I understand the argument of a battery tender, especially on a standard 350 model), but I have never had an issue. It is my understanding that power from the drive battery starts the gas engine in Toyota's hybrid system, so the 12V battery really just activates a relay to start the car and runs the electronics, so it never comes under a heavy demand when starting the car like a conventional power train.

The one difference between your car and my own is the fact that I keep it in a locked garage so I do not bother locking the car. I cannot help but wonder if locking the car turns on the receiver(s) in the car to listen for the proximity of the keyfob. Since that receiver doesn't need to be activated in an unlocked car, perhaps it doesn't draw as much energy? This is just a theory of my own and not founded in any inside knowledge. Perhaps someone on here knows whether there is anything to that theory?

Last edited by TechNut; 12-15-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 08:37 AM
ionian
Instructor

Originally Posted by TechNut
The one difference between your car and my own is the fact that I keep it in a locked garage so I do not bother locking the car. I cannot help but wonder if locking the car turns on the receiver(s) in the car to listen for the proximity of the keyfob. Since that receive doesn't need to be activated in an unlocked car, perhaps it doesn't draw as much energy? This is just a theory of my own and not founded in any inside knowledge. Perhaps someone on here knows whether there is anything to that theory?
Interesting theory. I think you are in a good position to help us test that theory
Old 12-15-20, 04:02 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the dead battery issue once, but never since. I have done two things that may have helped, though I don't know for sure. First, I keep the key fobs in the room farthest away from the garage where the car is parked, and I don't lock the car in the garage. I do believe that the car "connects" to the fobs if they are too close, which could drain the battery. I have also had the software update (the Enform update), and the dealer told me that update should also solve the battery drain issue. Not too sure about that one. Now if the dealer told me to keep a battery tender hooked up to the car battery all the time, I'd tell him I want my money back. That is ridiculous!
Old 12-19-20, 09:19 AM
KDiggity
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechNut
The one difference between your car and my own is the fact that I keep it in a locked garage so I do not bother locking the car. I cannot help but wonder if locking the car turns on the receiver(s) in the car to listen for the proximity of the keyfob. Since that receiver doesn't need to be activated in an unlocked car, perhaps it doesn't draw as much energy? This is just a theory of my own and not founded in any inside knowledge. Perhaps someone on here knows whether there is anything to that theory?
Such an interesting theory. The reason I originally mentioned keeping the car locked in the garage was based on experience with a circa 2011 Jaguar XJL. Those cars had a very well described battery drain issue that was specifically tied to leaving the car unlocked in the garage, for example. Apparently as long as the doors remain unlocked, the car never entered the most powered-down state which would drain the battery fairly quickly. Seems like a possibility that the reverse could be happening here if your theory is correct.
Old 12-19-20, 10:19 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Such an interesting theory. The reason I originally mentioned keeping the car locked in the garage was based on experience with a circa 2011 Jaguar XJL. Those cars had a very well described battery drain issue that was specifically tied to leaving the car unlocked in the garage, for example. Apparently as long as the doors remain unlocked, the car never entered the most powered-down state which would drain the battery fairly quickly. Seems like a possibility that the reverse could be happening here if your theory is correct.
Keep in mind, it is JUST a theory. I don't know how to confirm it one way or another. Just my observation of that one difference and our cars are not the same year...
Old 12-19-20, 11:00 AM
KDiggity
Driver School Candidate

Duly caveated...
Old 03-01-21, 04:51 PM
bvshearz
Rookie

Default Closing Thread ??

Originally Posted by swfla
Moderators.. I've noticed that the postings are getting off topic. Maybe we've gotten all the input on this narrow subject we can. As the thread starter, I'd like to close this thread. Thank you.
I sure would NOT have appreciated you closing this thread...since I bought my car( (2020 ES 350 F Sport) a week ago 2/23/21... and currently as of TODAY ..we have a dead battery.
Searching "dead battery" certainly helped me...which is WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR... at least NOW I have something to go on when I call the stealership tomorrow!!
Old 04-14-21, 12:49 PM
calidriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
More than a few people have posted about the 2020 model having a dead battery after a few weeks of sitting. The thought is that this model has some sort of issue that's drawing the battery down. Not an issue with previous years. Please post if you've experienced this and if your dealer found a fix and what that fix is.
Chiming in to say that I have a 2014 ES 350 with the same battery issue. I believe it is due to parasitic drain, and it is a very common problem. I haven't yet found anyone that has actually had a dealer find a problem and fix it, but this problem is all over this forum. I've gone through 4 battery replacements in 60K miles.
Old 04-15-21, 11:28 AM
bvshearz
Rookie

Default Fixed the problem

We took our car to the dealer on 3/2/21 and they already knew about the issue with the dead batteries in the 2020s... service writer said there is a TSB specifically about the issue... and it involves a simple software update.... had our car back to us in 2 hours... and we have not had the problem since... hopefully.... we will not have it anymore
Old 04-27-21, 04:46 AM
MixedBreed
Driver School Candidate

New guy here.....went searching various forums when our 2020 ES350 exhibited the dead battery issue the day before yesterday. Had roadside assistance (AAA) tow my car to the dealership yesterday (we jumped it in the garage and drove it up the flatbed). By the time we got to the dealership, we had to jump it again to get it off.
I explained that this might be a known issue on these cars to the rep, who claimed not have heard of this problem before. He mentioned to the tech as he handed over the paperwork to go ahead and swap out the battery, as the car is so new (I figured "good"). They called me a a half hour later saying they would need to attempt a charge first, which is what they were doing. After returning to the dealership, I was told the it is charged, but that there is a software updated needed and the car would need to stay overnight (it was late in the day). I asked how the software update might have affected the battery, and was not given a straight answer. I am going to dig some more today when I pick up the car. Anyway, it kind of ties in to some of the previous posts.
Old 04-27-21, 06:45 AM
ionian
Instructor

Take a look at the below video. This guy is a master tech specializing in Toyota. Skip to around 12:51. He is talking about common complaints with battery dying prematurely. Our Lexus vehicle works on same tech:

Last edited by ionian; 04-27-21 at 06:46 AM. Reason: ...
The following users liked this post:
LexFinally (07-31-21)
Old 07-27-21, 02:37 PM
Slen
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery dead

Car wouldn’t start Monday - last used Friday. AAA came Tuesday and charged the battery. Said battery was fully drained. Brought to Lexus service.

So the problem isn’t the battery. It is a software issue. There is an “evap” check done via the computer every day and the software issue is this automatic check gets stuck and keeps going which then drains the battery. Just need to have the software updates!
Old 07-29-21, 04:41 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
It’s probably due to poor QC of American batteries. The OEM Panasonic Japan batteries can last up to 10 years.
I got twelve years out of my Tundra battery!