ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Need help deciding on a new ES or other

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 07:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
Thanks for all te replies, I miss coming to the forum. I haven't been to this one or acura one since I got out of my GS300. I am going to go after the 2019 preowned ES350 (for the better value). I need to get the trim that has at least the blind spot monitor, and navigation. I really want the HID headlights, because I drive a lot in the dark. If anything goes wrong, I will go after a avalon if I want to be cheaper. There is an avalon XLE 2019 with 1,600 miles on it for $26,500 or around it here.

If anyone is in texas, where do you recommend for me to go? I am thinking Sewell Lexus in Dallas. There is also Park Place etc. How would you negotiate the price right now with all the things going on and low stock? Any ideas?

as for my car, there are 2 parts that acura said I needed and I need them on both sides. I have to get the part numbers again. I am glad I didn't have any repairs to do on it. The only downside is that I just got the timeing belt done at 120K. I just did 3 different services AC, break fluid, coolant? for $725 at 125K miles. New tires about 7K miles ago all the way around.

I thought about another RLX but $12K off of $62,500 still is out of my range I want to pay. The resell value on that thing is so bad. I am looking at 12,500 or so if I get that and I paid $42,000 or something after finance and out the door etc and I thought I got an absolute steal.

I test drove a 2020 avalon Hybrid Limited model that was sticker at $46,500 or so. They have one that has 820 miles on it and they have it at $42,995. They say that might take $1K more off of it if he fights for it but then it wouldn't be a new car and couldn't get the 0% on it. I called Dallas and they said they could get me into one of those at $38K but everyone I talk to tells me they are lying and want me just to get up there to bait and switch me or add other things to make the cost go up.
1) Yikes why are you going to the Acura Dealer for simple services? Find an Indy who you can trust. Order parts from Acura (OE) or Rockauto (Find the OEM)
2) Go to each mfg website and find their most current offers and terms and conditions. Note down specifics, like Can you combine Mfg to customer cash with Mfg special aprs (most of the time you cant but still)
3)Stop going to a dealership to negotiate. Simply go for test drives and leave. Email each dealer in your search area on like vehicles (So hybrid/limited to hybrid limited or limited with X accessories to Limited with X accessories and so fourth). Ask for a detailed quote with all applicable fees and taxes to your address. Clarify that you would like that do not include any mfg to customer incentives in their dealer only discounts.
4) Find the lowest price, and let the other dealers compete to beat it.

That $12k is just mfg to dealer cash. The mfg to customer cash is additional so the deal should get sweeter. My 2 cents, is first find the price new, and then decide if used is still worth it. A lot of times folks just dont do their due diligence and end up paying more for a 1 year old vehicle, when some new units are priced the same or lower.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (07-08-20)
Old 07-06-20, 06:52 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This is why I spent the $10k more. The Avalon interior is just plain inferior.
That's one of the reasons I went with an ES this time. I had a '14 then a '16 Avalon Limited which I really liked. When they did the re-design in '19 they made the Avalon dash/center console atrocious, IMHO. They also got rid of many features on the Limited such as rain delay wipers and the extended thigh support (although Avalon's do have heated rear seats where ES's don't, which is weird). The one thing I dislike about my ES is the 8-speed transmission. But, there's no getting away from that unfortunately.
Old 07-06-20, 07:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltvscout
That's one of the reasons I went with an ES this time. I had a '14 then a '16 Avalon Limited which I really liked. When they did the re-design in '19 they made the Avalon dash/center console atrocious, IMHO. They also got rid of many features on the Limited such as rain delay wipers and the extended thigh support (although Avalon's do have heated rear seats where ES's don't, which is weird). The one thing I dislike about my ES is the 8-speed transmission. But, there's no getting away from that unfortunately.
interesting on the tranny - the 8 speed in my ES is buttery smooth. Same trans on my wife's 2017 RX not quite as smooth.
Old 07-06-20, 02:04 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I spent the $10k more. The Avalon interior is just plain inferior.

Sure, show a red Lexus interior compared to a lackluster gray Avalon interior. You must be a politician, lol.
Hifiman1 (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 02:09 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course the Toyota should be less luxury than the Lexus for $10k. How about this interior, like mine, with nicer seats, and wish you could hear my audio.

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-06-20 at 02:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Canesguy:
dklanecky1 (07-08-20), Hifiman1 (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 03:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Sure, show a red Lexus interior compared to a lackluster gray Avalon interior. You must be a politician, lol.
Honestly I'm not even a fan of the red-my FSport has the black interior.

Old 07-06-20, 03:21 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Of course the Toyota should be less luxury than the Lexus for $10k. How about this interior, like mine, with nicer seats, and wish you could hear my audio.

In that color🤔🤔
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dklanecky1 (07-08-20), Hifiman1 (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 08:46 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

(DISCLAIMER: the following is my opinion, as are the prior posts, based on my ownership and supporting facts and not meant to insult or inflame the Lexus ES or their owners.)

Au contrare, the leather interior I have on my ‘19 Avalon Hybrid Limited is better than the cheap looking leather in Lexus ES Ultra, and for $8-10k less. For that savings you will get a one less year, and corresponding less mileage, warranty and less perks with servicing in comparison with the Lexus. However, you will get free oil changes and service for two years with the Toyota and no obnoxious, highly criticized touch pad and ML audio you get with the Lexus. The premium audio system in the Avalon is actually better: a JBL® w/Clari-Fi®73audiosystem with 1200 watts, 14 speakers, 7.1-channel surround sound. JBL and ML are both made by Harmon-Kardon.
I looked at various Avalon models when I was cross shopping before I bought my 2020 ES 350 UL and I disagree with some of your comments. In NO WAY were the Avalon seats and Leather a better quality than the semi-aniline leather seats on the car I purchased. Car Leather and seats are important to me and that one thing I look at very closely since I've had leather seats in almost every car I've owned in the last 30 years. The seats in the ES are definitely a step up from the Avalon. I just couldn't get over the interior of the Avalon and that's one reason I never bought one. I knew about some of the complaints with the touchpad and I honestly don't see it although I agree it takes a while to master. Many people love the ML sound system but I can definitely understand why some people would have a preference between one system or another. If you ask Toyota/Lexus I guarantee they will say the ML is superior to the Toyota JBL system. What really matters is what one you like. While the Avalon is a nice car its not up to the level of a fully loaded UL ES350 but then again it shouldn't be since the Lexus is substantially more money
Old 07-06-20, 10:32 PM
Hifiman1
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

The 2017+ RLX is a quieter and better riding car than the 19 ES Ultra luxury.

Thanks to front and rear acoustic glass and double wishbone suspension. Noise canceling also helps. Krell audio is on par or better than Mark Levinson in measurements.

Downfall with the Rlx is the interior design and infotainment. Fake wood is my pet peeve. Front suspension design flaw resulting in clunking, rear steering Paws issues, and direct injection oil dilution.

If all you want is ride comfort, quiet, and audio. The Rlx beats the 19 ES. Plus its as cheap or cheaper than a Avalon.

I myself have been flip flopping what MY next car will be. These are the contenders:

19 ES 350 UL, 2013-2017 GS Ultra luxury, Acura Rlx Advanced, and Lincoln MKZ Black label hybrid. Honorable mention: Kia Cadenza.

​​​​​19+ ES Not as quiet as I hoped and steep entry cost.

2013+ GS was 3db quieter than my Toyota 20k econobox

16+ RLX was quieter than the GS and rode miles better than the GS. Slightly better than ES.

17-18 Mkz black label had better material quality than all the cars on the dash, doors, headliner, and seats. Quieter than ES and had the best sound system.

2021 Cadenza: Korean Buick. Rides more floaty than ES, quieter, and has better technology. Avalon price for Lexus options.
​​​​

Last edited by Hifiman1; 07-06-20 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 05:16 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CPO 19 is attracitive because of the Unlimited mileage. I will have like 150K miles on it before the warranty goes out. I wouldn't mind another RLX but they are hard to fine.
Old 07-07-20, 06:24 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

interesting on the tranny - the 8 speed in my ES is buttery smooth. Same trans on my wife's 2017 RX not quite as smooth.
The 8-speed transmissions are not the same:

17 RX FWD: U881E
'17 RX AWD: U881F
'19/'20 ES: UA80E

You're right -- the ES is buttery smooth; the RX, not so much.
Old 07-07-20, 06:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
The 8-speed transmissions are not the same:

17 RX FWD: U881E
'17 RX AWD: U881F
'19/'20 ES: UA80E

You're right -- the ES is buttery smooth; the RX, not so much.
That explains it!
Old 07-07-20, 09:26 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
The 2017+ RLX is a quieter and better riding car than the 19 ES Ultra luxury.

Thanks to front and rear acoustic glass and double wishbone suspension. Noise canceling also helps. Krell audio is on par or better than Mark Levinson in measurements.

Downfall with the Rlx is the interior design and infotainment. Fake wood is my pet peeve. Front suspension design flaw resulting in clunking, rear steering Paws issues, and direct injection oil dilution.

If all you want is ride comfort, quiet, and audio. The Rlx beats the 19 ES. Plus its as cheap or cheaper than a Avalon.

I myself have been flip flopping what MY next car will be. These are the contenders:

19 ES 350 UL, 2013-2017 GS Ultra luxury, Acura Rlx Advanced, and Lincoln MKZ Black label hybrid. Honorable mention: Kia Cadenza.

​​​​​19+ ES Not as quiet as I hoped and steep entry cost.

2013+ GS was 3db quieter than my Toyota 20k econobox

16+ RLX was quieter than the GS and rode miles better than the GS. Slightly better than ES.

17-18 Mkz black label had better material quality than all the cars on the dash, doors, headliner, and seats. Quieter than ES and had the best sound system.

2021 Cadenza: Korean Buick. Rides more floaty than ES, quieter, and has better technology. Avalon price for Lexus options.
​​​​

You are recommending a 2017 model and he is looking at getting a 2019 model or newer.
Hifiman1 (07-07-20)
Old 07-07-20, 10:21 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
The CPO 19 is attracitive because of the Unlimited mileage. I will have like 150K miles on it before the warranty goes out. I wouldn't mind another RLX but they are hard to fine.
I think it's saying after the basic 4yr warranty expires, it will cover 2 more years as unlimited mileage.

More details:

https://www.lexus.com/lcertified/certification-warranty

Lexus confidently stands behind these exceptional vehicles with the L/Certified Limited Warranty,* when combined with the new-vehicle Basic Warranty, can provide up to six years of vehicle warranty coverage. Mileage is unlimited. The L/Certified Limited Warranty offers many of the coverage benefits and privileges new-car buyers receive. For models purchased after January 6, 2016, please download the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide for details. For other models, see your Lexus dealer.

UNDER WARRANTY
The L/Certified Limited Warranty* includes coverage for a complimentary loaner car,* Roadside Assistance* and Trip Interruption Service.* Warranty is valid for a minimum of two years/unlimited mileage after the expiration of 4-year/50,000 mile new-vehicle Basic Warranty, or two years from your L/Certified purchase or lease date, whichever occurs later. Mileage is unlimited. There is no deductible: Repairs made under this warranty will be made at no cost to you. Except for excluded components (see below), this warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship, such as: engine, transmission, steering, brakes (excluding rotors and pads), fuel system, cooling, A/C and heating systems, electrical, and restraint systems.

EXCLUDED COMPONENTS
The following component groups are excluded from coverage under the L/Certified Limited Warranty: standard upkeep items, wear and tear items, some parts of body and interior, accessories, and some other components. Please see the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide or your Lexus dealer for details.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-07-20 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 10:57 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is all this fuss about the bad quality Lexus es350 car audio? I hate throwing stuff in but my cousin is pushing me hard toward a SUV. He says I am way to overweight and getting older to be crawling out of a car. I need the space in the trunk for the loads I pick up every few weeks. Anything wrong with the RX350? I am hearing things about rattling tailpipe muffer or something. The MDX and RDX look like they are not good because of the hesitation issue and about to get sued over that. If I go after a SUV I have no idea what to go after if I do. I do like this new RAV 4 Prime Hybrid coming out but that isnt' out yet and it is pricey.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on a new ES or other