ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Need help deciding on a new ES or other

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 09:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
what is all this fuss about the bad quality Lexus es350 car audio? I hate throwing stuff in but my cousin is pushing me hard toward a SUV. He says I am way to overweight and getting older to be crawling out of a car. I need the space in the trunk for the loads I pick up every few weeks. Anything wrong with the RX350? I am hearing things about rattling tailpipe muffer or something. The MDX and RDX look like they are not good because of the hesitation issue and about to get sued over that. If I go after a SUV I have no idea what to go after if I do. I do like this new RAV 4 Prime Hybrid coming out but that isnt' out yet and it is pricey.
Many RX owners complain of a drone noise in the exhaust. We have a 17 purchased new and it's been trouble free for 45K miles so far. Is there a little drone noise? yes.
Old 07-08-20, 10:24 AM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I will be looking at 2020 ES vs 2020 Avalon.
1. Haven't driven Avalon, but sighting from the driver's seat through the windows I see a much smaller blind spot in the Avalon than the ES (which is, of course, the same car underneath - and built on the same production line in KY.) I prefer to see what is actually going on in the RH blind spot rather than depending on blinking lights.
2. ES's all seem to come with a beige upper interior - therefore a distracting beige panel in the RH rear corner. Avalon has a non-distracting RH rear corner panel due to gray upper interior.
Old 07-08-20, 10:48 AM
Darlingdb
Driver School Candidate

Default Dallas Lexus Dealer

Thanks for all te replies, I miss coming to the forum. I haven't been to this one or acura one since I got out of my GS300. I am going to go after the 2019 preowned ES350 (for the better value). I need to get the trim that has at least the blind spot monitor, and navigation. I really want the HID headlights, because I drive a lot in the dark. If anything goes wrong, I will go after a avalon if I want to be cheaper. There is an avalon XLE 2019 with 1,600 miles on it for $26,500 or around it here.

If anyone is in texas, where do you recommend for me to go? I am thinking Sewell Lexus in Dallas. There is also Park Place etc. How would you negotiate the price right now with all the things going on and low stock? Any ideas?

as for my car, there are 2 parts that acura said I needed and I need them on both sides. I have to get the part numbers again. I am glad I didn't have any repairs to do on it. The only downside is that I just got the timeing belt done at 120K. I just did 3 different services AC, break fluid, coolant? for $725 at 125K miles. New tires about 7K miles ago all the way around.

I thought about another RLX but $12K off of $62,500 still is out of my range I want to pay. The resell value on that thing is so bad. I am looking at 12,500 or so if I get that and I paid $42,000 or something after finance and out the door etc and I thought I got an absolute steal.

I test drove a 2020 avalon Hybrid Limited model that was sticker at $46,500 or so. They have one that has 820 miles on it and they have it at $42,995. They say that might take $1K more off of it if he fights for it but then it wouldn't be a new car and couldn't get the 0% on it. I called Dallas and they said they could get me into one of those at $38K but everyone I talk to tells me they are lying and want me just to get up there to bait and switch me or add other things to make the cost go up.
I purchased a new 2019 in October, Park Place in Plano was $2000 less than Sewell. I know all about the Sewell hype, we have a Sewell Cadillac,I am very pleased with all aspects of Park Place.
Old 07-08-20, 11:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus376
FWIW, I will be looking at 2020 ES vs 2020 Avalon.
1. Haven't driven Avalon, but sighting from the driver's seat through the windows I see a much smaller blind spot in the Avalon than the ES (which is, of course, the same car underneath - and built on the same production line in KY.) I prefer to see what is actually going on in the RH blind spot rather than depending on blinking lights.
2. ES's all seem to come with a beige upper interior - therefore a distracting beige panel in the RH rear corner. Avalon has a non-distracting RH rear corner panel due to gray upper interior.
ES FSport headliner is all black.
Old 07-08-20, 12:45 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't want engine noise enhancement and certain of the other features of FSport. (The engine noise is generated with a mechanical resonator and therefore cannot be disabled on the FSport ES. Engine noise is electronic and therefore can be disabled on some other Lexus FSport models.) Dealers seem to have lots of FSport ES's -- so they must not be selling. Why buy a car that is wonderfully quiet and then hot-rod the engine noise? <smile>
Old 07-08-20, 12:50 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I had one of the new Avalons for awhile.

It's not in the same league as the ES; not even close. I know that they're built on the same platform in the same plant, etc.

The overall quality, workmanship, sound deadening, and feel blow the Avalon away.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 02:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus376
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't want engine noise enhancement and certain of the other features of FSport. (The engine noise is generated with a mechanical resonator and therefore cannot be disabled on the FSport ES. Engine noise is electronic and therefore can be disabled on some other Lexus FSport models.) Dealers seem to have lots of FSport ES's -- so they must not be selling. Why buy a car that is wonderfully quiet and then hot-rod the engine noise? <smile>
Get the ES FSport sans avs suspension. No noise enhancement without that option.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
JRey350hou (07-09-20), Lexus376 (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 06:35 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, I don’t argue that the ES is a more luxurious car than the Avalon, just to me option per option, not $10k worth.

Red interiors are my favorite followed by saddle (= cognac) - love it every time I get into it. I won’t buy a black interior again, to me lackluster and uninspired, worse even than gray - just meh. If more bland interiors are your preference, you’re not wrong - that’s your prerogative. My opinion differs and may not be right for others - doesn’t make me wrong either. Won’t argue or insult others for different opinions. Nuff said.

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-08-20 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 09:51 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Guys, I don’t argue that the ES is a more luxurious car than the Avalon, just to me option per option, not $10k worth.

Red interiors are my favorite followed by saddle (= cognac) - love it every time I get into it. I won’t buy a black interior again, to me lackluster and uninspired, worse even than gray - just meh. If more bland interiors are your preference, you’re not wrong - that’s your prerogative. My opinion differs and may not be right for others - doesn’t make me wrong either. Won’t argue or insult others for different opinions. Nuff said.

Get whatever makes you happy! Nobody here really cares either way. NUFF SAID!
The following 3 users liked this post by carsareus:
dklanecky1 (07-10-20), mickbrown (07-10-20), mikemu30 (07-10-20)
Old 07-12-20, 12:51 AM
krava
Lead Lap

Test drove the 19 es350 lux version today. Maybe it was me but I wasn't too impressed with the dash. The car has alot more pickup then it used to have. I was definitely thinking about going to park place lexus and getting the one that is $34XXX quoted price for that 19 es350 CPO with 7K miles on it. The es is a tighter fit then the RLX. (I am like 310lbs and overweight). I was looking around online and said let me go try this genesis g80. I drive to longview sat in it and the hard plastic rubbed my left knee raw and I said not for me but I did test drive it. They had the V6 version and If I would have gone the g80 route I would have gotten the one in little rock with the 3.3TT. So I just went there to sit in the car see how much room I had and if the trunk was good enough. After test driving it I was going to leave tell him that it wasn't for me etc. Someone I looked at a good looking G70 and he showed me the sticker and it was around 47 and I said it was out of my price range. I was walking away as the guy said "let me tell you about this one up on the hill." He told me that they mispriced the car online and I could probably get it for that price if I asked but pretend that I didn't tell you about that. Then he went in got someone and I made him the offer infront of the guy with the offer he told me to repeat later on. IT was on a blue with grey interior 2019 Prestige 3.3TT G70 that was MSRP around $49*** and had a sticker after dealer add ons for $53****. So he told me it was $38971 which it is on cagurus when looking at longview. A long story short, I got the car for over $10K off MSRP and 13.5K off the total price. No dealer add on's and only $150 doc fee. Financed at 4.9% for 66. I haven't even drove it yet, my cousin with me and he drove it back and I had to drive the ford fiesta back. They told me they sold it for $4K under cost and they had to eat that much. I think I did pretty good considering the COVID19 deal. The car had 300 miles on it. It was listed as used because the dealership had to buy it since it didn't sell. I know this thing makes my 2006 GS300 look like nothing in terms of speed and handling.

The problem I had with the Lexus is that I do get the CPO but you have to maintain the car in order to get it. That can get expensive. I have no idea how much it is to maintain this thing no one will tell me.
Old 07-12-20, 05:26 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

This is my first Lexus. I came from a Genesis G80. With the new release of the 2021 Genesis. I will be going back. The Genesis is a far superior car in my opinion and ne new body style is beautiful

Old 07-12-20, 06:24 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

... (I am like 310lbs and overweight)...
As opposed to 310 pounders who are NOT overweight! 🤪
Old 07-12-20, 08:40 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Before I bought my 2020 Lexus I crossed shopped and narrowed it down to a Genesis or Lexus. I was (and still am) a user in the Genesis Owners forum. What killed the deal for me was the lack of actual Genesis dealerships and support for the brand. The brand isn't nearly as supported as the Lexus brand. Genesis has a LONG way to go with this and its a known and acknowledged problem even in their own forum. Something else that really turned me off was some members needing to wait several weeks for certain parts for their cars to be delivered from Korea. I like the Genesis brand and they have come a long ways. While they recently claimed the title of having the least amount of defects for a car, they aren't up to the reliability standards of the Lexus brand IMHO. Also resale value differences are huge between the brands. I think the redesigned G80 is a beautiful car and I wish them success.
Old 07-12-20, 01:30 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FTBoomer
This is my first Lexus. I came from a Genesis G80. With the new release of the 2021 Genesis. I will be going back. The Genesis is a far superior car in my opinion and ne new body style is beautiful

Nice car other than the horrendous steering wheel and initial depreciation with Hyundai products. Good luck with it. They do make nice cars but it ain't Lexus quality by a longshot.
Old 07-13-20, 09:45 AM
FTBoomer
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
They do make nice cars but it ain't Lexus quality by a longshot.
As an owner of both I would disagree. Which Genesis did you say that you owned?

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on a new ES or other