ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Need help deciding on a new ES or other

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 07:43 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on a new ES or other

My current car is about to be totalled due to hail and I have to make a quick decision. I currently drive a 2014 acura RLX advance(Back in 2015 the lexus GS 350 was #1 on my list and the acura was #2 but I got my acura at almost 1/2 of MSRP with only 6K miles and exactly 1 year old.) My car before that was a 2006 GS 300 AWD that had the engine build up issue, and then before that was another 2001 GS 400. Times are tough right now and I am looking to be around no more then 38K before tax. I put 127,000K more miles on the RLX in just 5 years of having it. I use the car to drive to work and go to texas (200 miles 1 way) to pick up 3-4 mail totes full of laptops etc. The most important thing in a car to me is comfort when sitting in it for long periods of time. Also I am sick of having to use premium gas. I drive a lot and gas prices are crazy when considering it.

This is what I narrowed it down to:
2019 Lexus ES350
2019-2020 Toyota Avalon Limited (maybe even hybrid)
2019 Acura TLX (if it doesn't have to have premium)
2019/20 Toyota Camry
2019 Honda CRV/ 1 size bigger

I have test driven the Avalon and it was good I just wasn't too thrilled with the interior. I still like my RLX. I want a car that has 300+ HP and 30 MPG combined if anyone knows that let me know what it is. That could be a RLX sport hybrid. I am also looking not to be any $$ in any repairs for as long as possible. RIght now my RLX needs lower control arms and they are $2,000.
So if I could ask questions:
What benefits would I get out of the lexus es350 over the Avalon? The last ES I owed was a 1995 back in 2003 with a 120K miles on it and it was slow and the transmission went out on me while using it. I don't remember the mileage when that happened. I think 180-220K. I am trying to make this car as cheap as possilble to get. I am going to put probably 12K down and my credit is close to 750 with no negative hits. I can't prove my income though. I am taking any advice I can. Also I need something that isn't a lot to insure. The RLX cost more to insure then the lexus which is crazy.
Old 07-04-20, 08:15 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

A whole lot, did I say lot going on!, in the initial post.
No guarantees with any vehicle-- new or used. That being said you are on a Lexus forum and from someone who has only had Lexus or Toyota (Sequoia) in the garage since the 2003, I would pick Lexus 10 times over an Acura. I'm sure the Acura drivers will pick the Acura if you put the exact post on their forum. In the end it comes down to a personal choice and what are the things that are must haves in veh of choice. Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (07-05-20)
Old 07-05-20, 03:49 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

Consumer Reports ranks Lexus #1 in reliability and Acura #28 out of 31. J D Power ranks Acura 17th in dependability out of 31 and Lexus #2. Over the last ten years Lexus has been #1 eight times and #2 twice. Came from Acura owning over the years eight of them. Came over to Lexus six years ago. Acura is not the Acura of old. This includes Honda too. My early models were bulletproof like Lexus. Something has happen to Honda Motor Corp about 6 years ago. They use to always be in the top 5. In 2014, Acura was #4 in dependability.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
bc6152 (07-05-20), SteveC666 (07-06-20)
Old 07-05-20, 08:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

The ES will give you roughly 300 horses and 30mpg in pure high speed driving and all the comfort you will need. The Avalon interior is awful but you'll save thousands if you don't care about that. Honda - uuuggghhhhh. TLX is nice in the ASpec trim but feels smaller inside ( my coworker had one and dumped it after a year since it was in the shop constantly). Test drive and good luck with your decision.
Old 07-05-20, 08:26 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The ES will give you roughly 300 horses and 30mpg in pure high speed driving and all the comfort you will need. The Avalon interior is awful but you'll save thousands if you don't care about that. Honda - uuuggghhhhh. TLX is nice in the ASpec trim but feels smaller inside ( my coworker had one and dumped it after a year since it was in the shop constantly). Test drive and good luck with your decision.

It won't give him a combined 30 MPG unless he gets the Hybrid. Also can you even get a base ES-350 for his goal of $38K.
Old 07-05-20, 08:39 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carsareus
It won't give him a combined 30 MPG unless he gets the Hybrid. Also can you even get a base ES-350 for his goal of $38K.
Def not combined but he does long highway runs. He won't want the hybrid if he's looking for horses.
Old 07-05-20, 08:52 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a TLX for awhile. The ride was very harsh (i.e., "sporty"), even when I changed to a softer tire. The ES's comfort is in a totally different league.
Old 07-05-20, 09:16 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
My current car is about to be totalled due to hail and I have to make a quick decision. I currently drive a 2014 acura RLX advance(Back in 2015 the lexus GS 350 was #1 on my list and the acura was #2 but I got my acura at almost 1/2 of MSRP with only 6K miles and exactly 1 year old.) My car before that was a 2006 GS 300 AWD that had the engine build up issue, and then before that was another 2001 GS 400. Times are tough right now and I am looking to be around no more then 38K before tax. I put 127,000K more miles on the RLX in just 5 years of having it. I use the car to drive to work and go to texas (200 miles 1 way) to pick up 3-4 mail totes full of laptops etc. The most important thing in a car to me is comfort when sitting in it for long periods of time. Also I am sick of having to use premium gas. I drive a lot and gas prices are crazy when considering it.

2019 Lexus ES350
2019/20 Toyota Camry

I have test driven the Avalon and it was good I just wasn't too thrilled with the interior. I still like my RLX. I want a car that has 300+ HP and 30 MPG combined if anyone knows that let me know what it is. That could be a RLX sport hybrid. I am also looking not to be any $$ in any repairs for as long as possible. RIght now my RLX needs lower control arms and they are $2,000.
What benefits would I get out of the lexus es350 over the Avalon? The last ES I owed was a 1995 back in 2003 with a 120K miles on it and it was slow and the transmission went out on me while using it. I don't remember the mileage when that happened. I think 180-220K. I am trying to make this car as cheap as possilble to get. I am going to put probably 12K down and my credit is close to 750 with no negative hits. I can't prove my income though. I am taking any advice I can. Also I need something that isn't a lot to insure. The RLX cost more to insure then the lexus which is crazy.
I have a 2020 GS350 F Sport now. I had a 2016 GS350 CPO Base before (had issues here and there, wasted time with it). I also had a 2016 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring (sold due to bad accident). 2014 Acura TL (Tech) which was a very good vehicle until 94K miles when it started having issues with the 2 catalytic converters, major service was expensive and transmission weren't all that strong on the V6 ones. I also wonder what if I kept the TL also. It may have survived to 200K miles with repairs. I had a 1996 Honda Accord EX also before and it lasted 160K miles (no issues at all). A dream when I needed money before when Honda as reliable)

Personally, I think Lexus quality and reliability are way better than Acura. Acura usually has more technology and is geared towards sportiness nowadays.

These are just my opinions (Others views may differ):

2019 Lexus ES350:
Very nice and reliable vehicle. Expect low maintenance cost, it also can use regular gas. No premium gas needed. It's more of a softer ride if that's what you looking for also. GS350s tend to be more sportier ride and handling but trunk is smaller and it's more expensive but materials and fit/finish have better material. I have both ES350 CPO for wifey.

2019-2020 Toyota Avalon Limited (maybe even hybrid):
We actually looked at this vehicle compared it to the ES350 for wifey. The material is better on the ES350. It's around the same price if you can negotiate the price down the ES pricing. Lexus also has better service and material than Avalon. Avalon has a better value for the dollar with almost Lexus quality. The Lexus warranty is better but you pay for it in the price. We had a hard time locating a Avalon given most were from rental fleets as used. There's aren't that many Avalons available in the marketplace on our area. Not sure on the pricing on Avalons but you can't go wrong with it also.

2019 Acura TLX (if it doesn't have to have premium):
I drove the TLX as a service loaner when I had the TL. It's not a bad vehicle. You can score some great deals given a new redesigned 2021 model is coming next year. The V6 has a weak transmission. I felt Acura/Honda soften the ride compared to the TL. Reliability hasn't been Acura's focus nowadays, it's been focusing on performance and value. The 4 cylinder model isn't bad but interior isn't as good as the Lexus level though. Very good value if you can look for slightly used or 2019 as you stated. Just get a mechanic to check it out, some have the paws for 2WD model, makes vibration noises.

2019/20 Toyota Camry:
Very nice value and loaded with great technology along with newer safety features. Can't really go wrong with a Camry but it's material isn't as good as a Lexus. If you can go that direction it would save you $$$. Unless you get the SE, it's ride is on the softer side. ES has more legroom on the 2nd row than the Camry.

2019 Honda CRV/ 1 size bigger:
My brother loves this one but there was an engine oil fuel dilution issue in the past has put the brakes on his purchase. Honda claims it's fixed. Also, Turbo engines tend to have problems and require more service than naturally aspirated ones. This is probably true over 90K or miles.

My I suggest the 2019/2020 Toyota Rav4?
I actually test drive the Hybrid and non-hybrid model. The like the Hybrid model but like a sedan more than a SUV since it's easier to drive for me. The Rav4 should be reliable, lower cost and drives well. There's plenty of space, easy to drive and reliability isn't an issue. They Hybrid has better fuel economy and has lower end torque compared to the gasoline only model.

Personally, along with my other friend's opinion. Once you drive a luxury vehicle or higher end vehicle, it's harder to downgrade. It's totally possible but you have to happy and satisfied with the move.

I learned that myself. Good Luck.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-05-20 at 11:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by websurfer:
Hifiman1 (07-06-20), krava (07-05-20), Lexus376 (07-08-20)
Old 07-05-20, 11:09 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

(DISCLAIMER: the following is my opinion, as are the prior posts, based on my ownership and supporting facts and not meant to insult or inflame the Lexus ES or their owners.)

Au contrare, the leather interior I have on my ‘19 Avalon Hybrid Limited is better than the cheap looking leather in Lexus ES Ultra, and for $8-10k less. For that savings you will get a one less year, and corresponding less mileage, warranty and less perks with servicing in comparison with the Lexus. However, you will get free oil changes and service for two years with the Toyota and no obnoxious, highly criticized touch pad and ML audio you get with the Lexus. The premium audio system in the Avalon is actually better: a JBL® w/Clari-Fi®73audiosystem with 1200 watts, 14 speakers, 7.1-channel surround sound. JBL and ML are both made by Harmon-Kardon.
dklanecky1 (07-05-20)
Old 07-05-20, 12:44 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

This is why I spent the $10k more. The Avalon interior is just plain inferior.

The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
mickbrown (07-05-20), SteveC666 (07-06-20)
Old 07-05-20, 12:51 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Close your door and get the kids out of the back seat.

Old 07-05-20, 01:33 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Close your door and get the kids out of the back seat.

Autotrader photo😁
Old 07-05-20, 03:02 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Base model Avalon XLE V6 has everything you are looking for except the fancy looking interior and is only $31-33,000 after a $5,000 discount. No need for a down payment or income verification with your credit score if financed through Toyota Financial Services.
Hifiman1 (07-06-20)
Old 07-05-20, 04:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by krava

2019 Lexus ES350
2019/20 Toyota Camry

So is your current car an RLX or something else thats being totaled due to hail? And where did you get such a high quote on RLX control arms? I`d double check those through an indy and rockauto for parts before considering replacing a vehicle over failed control arms.

Anyways:

2019 Lexus ES350
Great vehicle, but what trim level and pricing are you getting?

Great Toyota, shares the same platform. Tech in function is the same as the ES. You will notice some NVH differences and quality of materials depending on how you spec this thing. If your getting a limited (i assume is the top trim) its in the spitting distance of a Base ES. Good thing, here tho is pricing is amazingly good (leftover even better) as long as your not dabbling in TRD versions. I`d say if you seriously considering a base ES, or a used ES, drive a higher end Avalon back to back. Your gonna get free maintenance for 2 years as well. Just a good overall value vehicle for money.

Its a premium product, but its last gen premium. Lots of inferior materials, transmission is not the strongest, the engine is great. Tech is on part to industry standards and comparable to LSS v2.0. The saving grace is to look at some 2020s as they have some strong farewell incentives (MY21 was press launched).

2019/20 Toyota Camry
Same story as Avalon, but less premium since its a Camry. Your probably not gonna find too many V6s

Good basic tranport, just make sure it doesnt have the Turbo Motor.

BTW since you own an RLX, have you thought of avail of the Massive clearance sale on the RLX (theyre closing up production for good on these). Last I checked $12k off sticker before dealer discounts

Old 07-05-20, 05:54 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all te replies, I miss coming to the forum. I haven't been to this one or acura one since I got out of my GS300. I am going to go after the 2019 preowned ES350 (for the better value). I need to get the trim that has at least the blind spot monitor, and navigation. I really want the HID headlights, because I drive a lot in the dark. If anything goes wrong, I will go after a avalon if I want to be cheaper. There is an avalon XLE 2019 with 1,600 miles on it for $26,500 or around it here.

If anyone is in texas, where do you recommend for me to go? I am thinking Sewell Lexus in Dallas. There is also Park Place etc. How would you negotiate the price right now with all the things going on and low stock? Any ideas?

as for my car, there are 2 parts that acura said I needed and I need them on both sides. I have to get the part numbers again. I am glad I didn't have any repairs to do on it. The only downside is that I just got the timeing belt done at 120K. I just did 3 different services AC, break fluid, coolant? for $725 at 125K miles. New tires about 7K miles ago all the way around.

I thought about another RLX but $12K off of $62,500 still is out of my range I want to pay. The resell value on that thing is so bad. I am looking at 12,500 or so if I get that and I paid $42,000 or something after finance and out the door etc and I thought I got an absolute steal.

I test drove a 2020 avalon Hybrid Limited model that was sticker at $46,500 or so. They have one that has 820 miles on it and they have it at $42,995. They say that might take $1K more off of it if he fights for it but then it wouldn't be a new car and couldn't get the 0% on it. I called Dallas and they said they could get me into one of those at $38K but everyone I talk to tells me they are lying and want me just to get up there to bait and switch me or add other things to make the cost go up.

Last edited by krava; 07-05-20 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on a new ES or other