ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Stop (issue with brakes?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20 | 09:51 AM
Mrslady
Pit Crew

Default Stop (issue with brakes?)

Brakes on 2020 ES350 with less than 2K miles. From day 1 of driving this Car the brakes feels as if I'm having to really press hard to get her to STOP. didn't think much of it at first. Thinking it's just me coming from a much smaller vehicle (HONDA CIVIC) only own since March and don't really drive it much. So is this something that will improve with me driving it more or should i bring this up @ 6 month service ?

Old 07-27-20 | 10:05 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

You might make this a more urgent matter and return to the dealer sooner than your routine visit. I drive fast and the car has very capable and easily engaged braking.
Old 07-28-20 | 10:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Pretty sure that's just going to come down to getting used to a different car.
Old 07-29-20 | 07:29 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

According to Car and Driver Testing (links below) there is a pretty significant difference (191ft versus 179 ft, 70mph to 0mph) between the ES and a Civic sedan (from 5 years ago).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...m-test-review/

Quite a bit of difference in weight of the vehicles.
Old 07-29-20 | 08:32 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
According to Car and Driver Testing (links below) there is a pretty significant difference (191ft versus 179 ft, 70mph to 0mph) between the ES and a Civic sedan (from 5 years ago).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...m-test-review/

Quite a bit of difference in weight of the vehicles.
I knew the brakes were bad but I had no idea it was that bad.
Old 07-29-20 | 12:56 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

MotorTrend tells a different story:

2019 Lexus ES 350

Although the test team noted front-end dive, the brakes bite down smoothly on demand, and the cars stopped straight. It took the Luxury model 119 feet, and just 114 feet for the F Sport. The stopping distances are on par with the Acura at 118 feet, and better than the Cadenza at 121 feet. Sadly, it took the hybrid Lexus 140 feet to come to a full stop.
Old 07-29-20 | 01:19 PM
Mrslady
Pit Crew

There are times it feels as if the car isn't braking at all. but as i press it does stop. so it should be a good ideal to have them looked over at 6 months service?
Old 07-29-20 | 01:37 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kalel2127
MotorTrend tells a different story:

2019 Lexus ES 350

Although the test team noted front-end dive, the brakes bite down smoothly on demand, and the cars stopped straight. It took the Luxury model 119 feet, and just 114 feet for the F Sport. The stopping distances are on par with the Acura at 118 feet, and better than the Cadenza at 121 feet. Sadly, it took the hybrid Lexus 140 feet to come to a full stop.
It actually is a completely different story, since MotorTrend is reporting the stopping distance from 60 to 0.

I specifically found a 5 year old Civic review (and both vehicles tested by the same source) for comparison since the OP mentioned that was what she was coming from to her Lexus now.
Old 07-29-20 | 03:03 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrslady
There are times it feels as if the car isn't braking at all. but as i press it does stop. so it should be a good ideal to have them looked over at 6 months service?
I think I may know what you're talking about.

It's not a matter of the general braking ability of the ES. The issue is that it takes some extra effort to bring the car to a complete stop and to keep it still at a stop light. Is that what you're experiencing?

I brought this issue up a few months ago. One way to address it is to use the HOLD button right below the gear shift.
Old 07-30-20 | 04:48 AM
Mrslady
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I think I may know what you're talking about.

It's not a matter of the general braking ability of the ES. The issue is that it takes some extra effort to bring the car to a complete stop and to keep it still at a stop light. Is that what you're experiencing?

I brought this issue up a few months ago. One way to address it is to use the HOLD button right below the gear shift.
Some what the case. not real sure of how to put in words. BRAKES feels hard but like a booster issue. Again it could be me but I will ask the shop to take a look.Just didn't want to look like a nut saying the BRAKES are bad on this car LOL.
Old 07-30-20 | 08:45 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Some what the case. not real sure of how to put in words. BRAKES feels hard but like a booster issue. Again it could be me but I will ask the shop to take a look.Just didn't want to look like a nut saying the BRAKES are bad on this car LOL.
More than likely it's just something you need to get used to but I would suggest mentioning it when you have it serviced. I'm sure you won't be the first nut to bring it up... LOL.
Old 07-30-20 | 12:44 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

FWIW, it doesn't seem nearly as bad to me now that I've had the car for about a year. It may get better as the car breaks in. Or I may have gotten used to it. Or some of both.
Old 07-31-20 | 03:05 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

The Car and Driver article states:
75 mph highway driving 39 mpg, and range of 620 miles

Never, ever gonna happen.

I don't think the HOLD feature has anything to do with the op's concern. I have noticed on the ES, activating the HOLD requires a slight push of the brake pedal as opposed to the NX where you need a lead-foot press to engage.

Old 09-11-20 | 09:59 AM
Mrslady
Pit Crew

Brakes on 2020 ES350 with less than 2K miles. From day 1 of driving this Car the brakes feels as if I'm having to really press hard to get her to STOP. didn't think much of it at first. Thinking it's just me coming from a much smaller vehicle (HONDA CIVIC) only own since March and don't really drive it much. So is this something that will improve with me driving it more or should i bring this up @ 6 month service ?

6 month service result. tech feels the reason for hard stop is due to me installing larger after market wheels and recommend reinstalling OEM wheels and tires. (but this issues was before the wheel exchange)
have to say after about another 8-900 miles Brakes feels better. just wanted to make sure everything was ok.
Old 09-11-20 | 10:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You give them an opening once you install after market parts.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (09-11-20)

Quick Reply: Stop (issue with brakes?)