ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Loud Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 01:05 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Loud Radiator Fan

The 2020 I test drove had a loud growling cooling fan. Sounded like a bad bearing, unbalanced blade or maybe an interference. I did not lift the hood for a close inspection so I am assuming it was the fan since it was coming from the grill. Noise was louder at higher engine rpm’s. AC was on. Have not had a chance to hear other ES cars so don’t know if this is normal but it certainly does not sound normal to me. Are the ES cooling fans inherently noisy? Thanks.
Old 07-31-20, 05:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
The 2020 I test drove had a loud growling cooling fan. Sounded like a bad bearing, unbalanced blade or maybe an interference. I did not lift the hood for a close inspection so I am assuming it was the fan since it was coming from the grill. Noise was louder at higher engine rpm’s. AC was on. Have not had a chance to hear other ES cars so don’t know if this is normal but it certainly does not sound normal to me. Are the ES cooling fans inherently noisy? Thanks.
I've never listened closely with the hood open but inside the car, not a sound.
Old 07-31-20, 07:02 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've never listened closely with the hood open but inside the car, not a sound.
I was standing directly in front of car with hood closed. Pretty sure it would have been much worse with hood open. May be something simple like a missing fastener but more likely a defective fan motor. Were your fans running? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-31-20, 07:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I was standing directly in front of car with hood closed. Pretty sure it would have been much worse with hood open. May be something simple like a missing fastener but more likely a defective fan motor. Were your fans running? Thanks for the feedback.
I often sit in line at the bank drive through window in blistering heat with the window open and don't notice a thing. I have to presume the fan is running in those conditions.
Old 07-31-20, 12:54 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Noise was louder at higher engine rpm’s
Highly unlikely the sound is coming from the cooling fan. The fan is electric so a fan based sound wouldn't directly vary by engine RPM.

For the source of a sound that varies by engine RPM you need to look at something directly driven by engine revolutions - e.g., AC compressor, alternator, belts and pulleys.

That said a loud growling RPM varying sound like you're describing isn't normal. Something isn't right with the specific car you test drove.
Old 08-01-20, 04:14 AM
artbuc
Instructor

grp52, I agree with your comment about the fans but I could not think of any other source in that area unless it was a noisy cam shaft or maybe even timing chain itself. Definitely not an accessory belt or alternator bearing. Again, I did not raise the hood. Not buying that car so do not really care but I suspect it will be a major problem for some poor unsuspecting buyer.
Old 08-01-20, 12:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

grp52, I agree with your comment about the fans but I could not think of any other source in that area unless it was a noisy cam shaft or maybe even timing chain itself. Definitely not an accessory belt or alternator bearing. Again, I did not raise the hood. Not buying that car so do not really care but I suspect it will be a major problem for some poor unsuspecting buyer.
It will be covered under warranty so the poor unsuspecting buyer will drive a loaner while Lexus repairs it.
Old 08-01-20, 06:09 PM
artbuc
Instructor

It will be covered under warranty so the poor unsuspecting buyer will drive a loaner while Lexus repairs it.
I have had several Lexus repairs done under warranty by two separate dealers. Every time it was a complete disaster. Both dealers were incompetent and dishonest. One even tried to bribe me with free tank of gas and complete detail job if I would lie on the quality survey. Warranty repairs at a Lexus dealership are a major PITA, just like at any other dealership, or more appropriately named stealership.
Old 08-01-20, 06:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

We have two Lexus vehicles but luckily no repairs so far. Dealer service however is stellar. Loaner every time and impeccable treatment.
Old 08-02-20, 01:38 AM
artbuc
Instructor

We have two Lexus vehicles but luckily no repairs so far. Dealer service however is stellar. Loaner every time and impeccable treatment.
Glad to hear that but the real test will come if/when you need something fixed. Can’t say anything about Thompson’s service department yet but their sales department could not be better. If I gave you the details about what happened to me at Koons and Wilke you would not believe it. Caught them both multiple times in lies and took multiple trips on each issue to get problem fixed. I felt like I was part of a Candid Camera (anyone old enough to remember?) show with the Three Stooges doing the repairs.
Old 08-07-20, 08:08 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I can tell you first-hand the fans in the ES are noisy I have a 2019 that's the first thing I notice in that car is noisy fan not bad noise but they spin up very loud and it's very noisy in my opinion and they all do that everybody who's commenting on here they don't hear it cuz there not listening to it
​​​​
Old 08-25-20, 11:43 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

If I gave you the details about what happened to me at Koons and Wilke you would not believe it. Caught them both multiple times in lies and took multiple trips on each issue to get problem fixed.
I would be interesting to hear if you can share a story as incidentally I just came back from Koons Lexus of Wilmington for my 10k complimentary service. Seems to be okay and no complaint so far.
Old 08-25-20, 11:48 AM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
I can tell you first-hand the fans in the ES are noisy I have a 2019 that's the first thing I notice in that car is noisy fan not bad noise but they spin up very loud and it's very noisy in my opinion and they all do that everybody who's commenting on here they don't hear it cuz there not listening to it
​​​​
I can confirm this. I just got a used 2019 ES300H last week. On a very hot and humid day while car is idling I can hear the fan while standing outside. It is noisy but it is nothing compare to my neighbor's old Mercedes. That fan on that thing makes mine down right quiet.
Old 08-26-20, 01:59 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by ionian2k
I would be interesting to hear if you can share a story as incidentally I just came back from Koons Lexus of Wilmington for my 10k complimentary service. Seems to be okay and no complaint so far.
Several incidents involving brand new 99RX300 and 95LS400, both purchased at Koon’s (before they were Koon’s). I will only share with you in private Because it wouldn’t be fair or appropriate to slam them for things that happened so long ago. Having said that, I will say that our recent shopping experience there was horrible. My wife who does not curse or normally have anything bad to say about anyone walked out of there and said “that place is a total clusterfxxk!” I was shocked but totally agreed with her. We took delivery of our new 2020 ES today from Thompson in Doylestown. A very long drive but so worth it. A beautiful spacious (they actually have a real parking lot) dealership with pleasant professional people who are organized and efficient. Everyone at Koon’s is running around like chickens with with heads cut off. Kinda feels like a used car operation squeezed into a tiny corner lot. I called Koon’s several times. A couple times no one answered and another time I got disconnected. Every time I call Thompson someone answers immediately and they are always pleasant and helpful.