ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Android Auto Update For 2019 ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 10:57 AM
tkhan84
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI this link was posted in the NX300 AA thread, a Spanish site has the update files and instructions for 2019 Toyota RAV4 and Corolla. Hopefully the Lexus ones will become available too.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...rs-148013.html

Old 09-10-20, 11:43 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by tkhan84
FYI this link was posted in the NX300 AA thread, a Spanish site has the update files and instructions for 2019 Toyota RAV4 and Corolla. Hopefully the Lexus ones will become available too.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...rs-148013.html
This link was posted previously by another member. It is from Romania. For me, if I wanted it, I wouldn't mess with the system myself and risk bricking the electronics. If Lexus wants to offer it in America they will and if not then you're screwed...
Old 09-12-20, 10:54 AM
BennoB66
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Australia our ES has different software for the infotainment. We don't have nearly as much functionality as you guys in the USA have so I think it would be unwise to install the Australian software on your ES. I wish we here in Australia did have all your functionality but different markets have different features.
Old 09-12-20, 11:55 AM
tkhan84
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BennoB66
Here in Australia our ES has different software for the infotainment. We don't have nearly as much functionality as you guys in the USA have so I think it would be unwise to install the Australian software on your ES. I wish we here in Australia did have all your functionality but different markets have different features.
That's what i figured, localization is what prevents using another region's update package.
Old 09-12-20, 12:17 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you elaborate? What features do the Americans have that Australians don't?
Old 09-12-20, 12:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I have a mate in Melbourne that was going to try and get it for me on a flash drive. Unsuccessful to date but now I'm not so sure it would be wise...
As far as features, you guys have some that we'd like to have and I know there are some here that you wish were on your cars. I stopped into a Lexus dealer when I was in Melbourne to see what was different other than the steering wheel being on the wrong side...

Last edited by bc6152; 09-12-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 11:33 AM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

So I stumbled upon this article dated today that looks like Toyota is going to be updating certain models to support Android Auto. Maybe this is a good sign that they will do the same for Lexus.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...ls-148780.html
The following 2 users liked this post by jimv1983:
AngelSugar (09-21-20), tkhan84 (09-16-20)
Old 09-27-20, 04:17 PM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The Australian Lexus website has been updated saying to contact your dealer for the update on July 4th 2018 forward ES builds (did 2019's get built that early?): https://www.lexus.com.au/apple-carpl...oid-auto/about
Old 12-27-20, 08:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Nothing new to report on the 2019's getting updated with Android Auto. The ES cars in Europe and Asia have had it since last summer, some free and some have been charged for it.
Looks like Lexus will not be providing the update for us at this point. Shame on Toyota...
Old 12-27-20, 11:54 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bc6152
Nothing new to report on the 2019's getting updated with Android Auto. The ES cars in Europe and Asia have had it since last summer, some free and some have been charged for it.
Looks like Lexus will not be providing the update for us at this point. Shame on Toyota...
Thanks for the update, I was also looking forward to Lexus doing the right thing, but they have let me down once again. All I can say is when my wife gets a new vehicle next year, I won't be getting another Lexus.
Old 12-27-20, 12:14 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clqw
Thanks for the update, I was also looking forward to Lexus doing the right thing, but they have let me down once again. All I can say is when my wife gets a new vehicle next year, I won't be getting another Lexus.
Can't say as I blame you. Seems like Lexus is starting to slowly fall behind... I just read a glowing report in Car and Driver magazine about the Genesis GV80 which was compared with Lexus. I know, I know, it's a Hyundai. I had the chance to ride in and drive one in California in February and it was really nice. Not a good idea for NE U.S. as it's RWD... There are several others to choose from...
The following users liked this post:
jpavlick11 (07-03-23)
Old 12-27-20, 01:22 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Can't say as I blame you. Seems like Lexus is starting to slowly fall behind... I just read a glowing report in Car and Driver magazine about the Genesis GV80 which was compared with Lexus. I know, I know, it's a Hyundai. I had the chance to ride in and drive one in California in February and it was really nice. Not a good idea for NE U.S. as it's RWD... There are several others to choose from...
Hyundais recent lineup seems to be copying design cues from various places, including the multimedia dash of lexus 7th Gen ES lineup as well as Mercedes dual panel dash. We are thinking of GLC300.
Old 12-30-20, 11:50 AM
aygriffith
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Considering my 2016 Genesis sedan was updated 2 months after purchase (in my driveway by me) to include Android Auto, I'll also probably be making a return to Genesis.

I have been eagerly awaiting the new Genesis eG80. I'm ready to make the move to an all electric platform but I have no desire to own a Tesla ($90k Model S without vented seats?). It should be ready by the time I turn in the 2019 ESh in May 2022.

In the meantime Toyota could do the right thing and offer the update, even charge me a bit for it, but as normally they err on the side of unreasonable caution. I may be back to pickup a used LX SUV though.
Old 12-30-20, 12:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I just feel like Lexus (read Toyota) couldn't care less for those customers that have plunked their money down on a new car and have issues. Some small issues, some large issues but most unresolved by Lexus corporate. From audio problems, Android Auto, infotainment system, to materials used. I often wonder how other manufacturers handle complaints and valid suggestions for improvement. Seems like Toyota turns a deaf ear and very little changes. Can't say that I'm totally disappointed with my 2019 but there is definitely room for improvement and changes when compared with other vehicles.
Old 12-30-20, 12:40 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by aygriffith
. I'm ready to make the move to an all electric platform but I have no desire to own a Tesla ($90k Model S without vented seats?).
My friend owns a Tesla Model S and he simply turns on the AC a few minutes before entering the vehicle. He states that even on hot summer days the seats are cool to the touch after a few minutes. That's probably why Tesla only added seat warmers other than the obvious cost-saving reason. Many more EV's will be available in 2022 as most manufacturers enter the EV race. Benz alone plans to release six new EV models in 2022. The days of ICE (internal combustion engines) are numbered.

EVs set to hit the road in 2021

Quick Reply: Android Auto Update For 2019 ES