ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Android Auto Update For 2019 ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 12:38 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusJoey
I agree. That's why I wanted to know the specs on this specific device (AA CarPlay). There are so many out there and ALL of them will do as advertised. However, some of them are sluggish.
I don't think device specs alone will give you enough insight as to real world performance. For that I think you'll need a deep dive review with detailed evaluations of specific application usage scenarios covering the usage cases of your anticipated usage (e.g., map navigation, video playing, game playing, etc..).

For example for the CarlinKit T-Box there's also a CarlinKit T-Box Mini. If you compare the specs of the Qualcomm SOC (System on a Chip) used in each Qualcomm SDM450 Snapdragon 450 vs Qualcomm QCM2290 you should see that the execution characteristics of your predominate software usage cases will greatly determine which SOC will perform better. Although the full T-Box SDM450 based system has more RAM, eMMC flash, CPU cores, and software multithread support, the T-Box mini QCM2290 based system with the SOC's vastly greater performance GPU and builtin hardware support for H.264 video encoding for driving the Apple CarPlay H.264 video feed on the surface appears to be the better SOC for the general usage case. (You really need performance testing with the hardware and software to know for sure which will be the better system.)
Old 12-21-22, 01:12 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Looking on another site with FAQ and see that it has to have touch screen so no go for my 2020.
Some of the systems have optional Bluetooth pointer device/"mouse" support to overcome/supplement the Lexus touchpad user input mismatch with the touchscreen expected user input.

For example, the T-Box Mini - Carlinkit Android 11.0 AI Box has this usage tip:
You will get the best experience if your screen supports the touch screen function. For cars that are not touch screens, it will be better if you buy an extra Bluetooth mouse for connection, or its compatibility is not as high as that of touch screen cars.
Although that particular system doesn't have an order option to add on a compatible Bluetooth mouse to a T-Box Mini order, I have seen some similar systems have a bundle order option where a compatible user input Bluetooth remote device/mouse is shipped along with the basic system box. (At the moment I can't readily find the thread posting but I seem to recall in a similar Android box thread someone posted about the user input Bluetooth remote device they got with their system eliminated most if not all the touchpad mismatch difficulties with the touchscreen centric Android box's system.)
Old 12-22-22, 06:14 AM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
I don't think device specs alone will give you enough insight as to real world performance. For that I think you'll need a deep dive review with detailed evaluations of specific application usage scenarios covering the usage cases of your anticipated usage (e.g., map navigation, video playing, game playing, etc..).

For example for the CarlinKit T-Box there's also a CarlinKit T-Box Mini. If you compare the specs of the Qualcomm SOC (System on a Chip) used in each Qualcomm SDM450 Snapdragon 450 vs Qualcomm QCM2290 you should see that the execution characteristics of your predominate software usage cases will greatly determine which SOC will perform better. Although the full T-Box SDM450 based system has more RAM, eMMC flash, CPU cores, and software multithread support, the T-Box mini QCM2290 based system with the SOC's vastly greater performance GPU and builtin hardware support for H.264 video encoding for driving the Apple CarPlay H.264 video feed on the surface appears to be the better SOC for the general usage case. (You really need performance testing with the hardware and software to know for sure which will be the better system.)
You pretty much proved my point. Performance or even performance comparison you need to start with some type of baseline.
I was asking for the specs on AA CarPlay in order to compare to similar devices. Not having any specs doesn't help. For all I know, my iphone 3GS is faster.

Last edited by LexusJoey; 12-27-22 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-21-23, 06:38 PM
TakeshiJin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to revive this thread to see if there's any easy head unit swaps or after market wired/ wireless solutions?
Old 08-24-23, 05:02 AM
whoa123
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeshiJin
I want to revive this thread to see if there's any easy head unit swaps or after market wired/ wireless solutions?
I bought the "OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro" based on a recommendation from someone in another thread. This device gets about 75% of the Android Auto functionality in the 2019 ES350.

Navigation with the touchpad is a bit tricky, at some points, the only way to navigate with the touchpad is up and down.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by whoa123; 08-25-23 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 08-30-23, 01:30 PM
TakeshiJin
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whoa123
I bought the "OTTOCAST Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter U2-X Pro" based on a recommendation from someone in another thread. This device gets about 75% of the Android Auto functionality in the 2019 ES350.

Navigation with the touchpad is a bit tricky, at some points, the only way to navigate with the touchpad is up and down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJPKY32N
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it does not work fully for me I get in one time it works then another time please "retry by unplugging and replugging adapter" and it's also too slow to boot for me . On a side note at least from my Car with ML I can tell a Big difference in Audio quality it seems your not getting full HD codec via the bluetooth / wifi onboard chip processing of this unit.
Old 08-30-23, 04:33 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeshiJin
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it does not work fully for me I get in one time it works then another time please "retry by unplugging and replugging adapter" and it's also too slow to boot for me . On a side note at least from my Car with ML I can tell a Big difference in Audio quality it seems your not getting full HD codec via the bluetooth / wifi onboard chip processing of this unit.
This product has an unusually high return rate signaling issues that made me avoid it.
The following users liked this post:
TakeshiJin (08-31-23)