ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Has anyone taken off the front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 07:58 AM
Davidc21a
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone taken off the front bumper?

Hi guys, I found a gap under my headlight where my bumper became un-clipped. Took it to a few body shops and they all wanted to replace my front bumper even though it has no damages on it. Does anyone have any experience or has taken off the front bumper on the currents ES model? I want to attempt to see if I can fix it myself. All I could find was tutorials for previous models. I posted a picture has this happened to anyone else also?

Old 08-05-20, 08:14 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Why not take it to a Lexus dealer and have them fix it under warranty?
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 10:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Unless he caused the damage.
Old 08-05-20, 01:14 PM
Davidc21a
7th Gear

Yes exactly, my wife accidentally hit a trash can no damage to the bumper only this issue with the headlight
Old 08-05-20, 02:59 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Shouldn’t that still be a warranty item? A collision so minor it does not leave a mark on the bumper but a cheesy clip breaks. Come on Lexus!
Old 08-05-20, 05:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Shouldn’t that still be a warranty item? A collision so minor it does not leave a mark on the bumper but a cheesy clip breaks. Come on Lexus!
Ha good luck with that one.
Old 08-05-20, 05:35 PM
Davidc21a
7th Gear

I was honest with the service guy and told him about bumping into a plastic trash can in the street. He stated that this was not covered under warranty....my mistake lol. I just can’t believe all these body shops are recommending a whole new bumper instead of trying to take it off and readjust. I guess I can live with the gap but wanted to see if anyone has tackled the job of taking off the bumper.
Old 08-05-20, 06:25 PM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Bumpers are supposed to take a small direct collision without damage, about 5 mph. There's regulation about that. It's surprising that it would get damaged from hitting a plastic garbage can.
Old 08-06-20, 06:43 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I would try to squeeze under the bumper somehow and see if there are any plastic clips or plastic fastener(s) or push pins that might have snapped. Compare to the exact other side behind the bumper by the headlight and see if there are fasteners there that are missing on the side that have the gap. When the garbage can incident first occurred and if you noticed the gap immediately, that would have been a good time to look in the driveway or street or where ever it happened for a fastener on the ground. Just for reference purposes.

I cannot see how the weight of a garbage can will damage a bumper or the supporting structure behind it to the point it needs to be replaced. Don't even see a cosmetic damage to the paint. Has to be a fastener or push pin of some kind.
dklanecky1 (08-06-20)
Old 08-06-20, 08:16 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidc21a
I was honest with the service guy and told him about bumping into a plastic trash can in the street. He stated that this was not covered under warranty....my mistake lol. I just can’t believe all these body shops are recommending a whole new bumper instead of trying to take it off and readjust. I guess I can live with the gap but wanted to see if anyone has tackled the job of taking off the bumper.
I applaud your honesty. I like to live by the golden rule and treat others the way I would be treated - with honesty and respect. Anyway, I agree with what others have said, it is likely just a dislodged clip and the entire bumper cover shouldn't need to be replaced. I would try to appeal to a body shop and ask them to remove it and reinstall it - unless they find damage underneath in which case you can have a candid discussion about the right corrective action. I am too OCD and would never be able to simply live with the loose cover. It might also flap/vibrate at highway speeds and eventually come loose from adjacent clips or cause further damage.
Old 08-06-20, 09:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I just can’t believe all these body shops are recommending a whole new bumper instead of trying to take it off and readjust. I guess I can live with the gap but wanted to see if anyone has tackled the job of taking off the bumper.
Depending on what is broken/dislodged, the repair could be either minor or more expensive.

If there is just a broken bumper clip, the cost of the replacement clip should be around $30. If you have a shop do the replacement, uninstalling and re-installing the bumper could add between 1 and 2 hours of labor charges.

On the other hand, the bumper cover is connected to a bumper clip, which, in turn, is connected to a bumper bracket that is attached to the unibody/frame. If the break/damage occurred at the point where the bumper clip attaches to the bumper cover and if the damage is to the bumper cover, itself, and not just a broken bumper clip, doing a proper repair could require replacing the entire bumper cover because the attachment point for the bumper clip is actually molded into the bumper cover, and, if it breaks off, the only proper repair option is to replace the bumper cover. The only way to know for sure what is broken is to uninstall the bumper.

Originally Posted by PeterA
Bumpers are supposed to take a small direct collision without damage, about 5 mph. There's regulation about that. It's surprising that it would get damaged from hitting a plastic garbage can.
Modern bumpers are designed to minimize the damage caused by a low speed impact, not to eliminate all damage. In the case of the OP's car, the best case would be just a broken bumper clip. The bumper clip is designed to break easily with minimal impact, and, if that happens, it prevents more severe damage to the bumper, bumper shock absorber, and the sheet metal beyond the bumper. The design doesn't eliminate damage, but it makes it more likely that the repair will cost hundreds of dollars and not several thousand dollars.
Old 08-08-20, 01:00 PM
TBarrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to a regular bodyshop and get their quote. The dealer is always going to be more. I had a similar issue on my Avalon and it was fixed for under $200. no paint.
Old 08-09-20, 12:16 AM
rov12280
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to just push it in unless there is damage inside the bumper support.

Removing the bumper is pretty straight forward. If you need help, you can PM me.
kalel2127 (08-10-20)
Old 08-14-20, 03:24 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 356 Posts

I guess I can live with the gap but wanted to see if anyone has tackled the job of taking off the bumper.
If you haven't done so yet, take a look at the FSPORT conversion thread. In that thread rov12280 has pctures showing removing and installing the front bumper in the F Sport conversion process. rov12280 also states:

Originally Posted by rov12280
As for instructions, LEXUS/Toyota have a website where they provide actual step by step that the technicians at the dealerships use. Basically all I needed instructions on how to remove the number and to disassemble the actual bumper components. The website is paid membership but I only spend $20.00 for a two day subscription. I pretty much downloaded all the schematics and instructions for the ES350. From engine tear down to dash reassembly. The website is techinfo.toyota.com.
so it might be pretty productive to directly contact rov12280 for advice and/or instructions on a possible solution for dealing with your issue.