ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Consumer Reports Attacks Lexus/Toyota Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 09:09 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
I have heard people returning their latest Gen ES and going back to their older ES. They would rather take the financial hit then live in agony with the new model.
Yeah, I heard the earth was flat, too.

I drove the 6th gen ES many times as a loaner and was not impressed at all. It was better than the 5th gen, but that was awful. The 7th gen is night and day better than the 6th. If some fool wants to go back to the 6th, and pay the cost to boot, good luck to them. I strongly doubt that there are more than a handful people in this category, if any.

Consumer Reports has been making the same complaint about all Lexus cars for the last decade. The infotainment system in the 6th gen is no better than the 7th and may even be worse.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (08-13-20)
Old 08-13-20, 10:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

"I have heard people returning their latest Gen ES and going back to their older ES. They would rather take the financial hit then live in agony with the new model."

"For owners who are ditching the latest gen ES and going back to their old ES, that tells you something."

Hmmm. These posts tell me something too....
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
TechNut (08-13-20), Tootsall (08-18-20)
Old 08-15-20, 02:36 AM
rigarba
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the mosts of the "reporters" out there repeat the very same mantra of previous ones. "Pretty good but have a CVT...", "Entertainment is bad, because is not as the one in BMW..).
After a year of daily use of my ES300h here at Spain, I'm perfectly confortable with the large screen and touchpad. And the riding, comfortability and MPG is impresive. Even the large car is not a problem in our streched streets. Yes, front sound is somewhat disapointing and sound strange when you come from a all doors speaker systems, but sound quality from driver seat is not bad at all, and in the pioneer this could be improved for sure, changing the rear doors speakers and the power amp. Is like listening a good stereo amp from your confortable coatch. Yes, image from rear camera is blurry, but is very usable too. And the menu systems could not be the best one, but you have a car to drive, not a computer.

On this year, I drove some other cars with "touch screen", and is really more dificult to operate when drive, and very much more dangerous. (Audi A6, Toyota RAV-4). You MUST stay seen the screen, and this one is not in the road vision line, and fingers go out screen buttons on every stone in road. Really very dangerous.

In germany, the Tesla Model S could be declared Illegal because the large touch screen does not comply with security rules (wipers on touch screen? Cool but Absurd!!.)
Old 08-15-20, 06:01 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by rigarba
After a year of daily use of my ES300h here at Spain...
I heard that in Spain, Lexus will upgrade the 2019 ES for Android Auto for free. In the US, Lexus does not offer that upgrade. Did you get that upgrade?
Old 08-16-20, 02:14 PM
rigarba
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidZ
I heard that in Spain, Lexus will upgrade the 2019 ES for Android Auto for free. In the US, Lexus does not offer that upgrade. Did you get that upgrade?
Yes, Lexus Spain (as in the whole Europe I think) will upgrade my system for free, but with the COVID-19 pandemia all is delayed. Last week I asked to my dealer, and they think the upgrade will be ready in September. My system is the Pioneer 10in + navigator. I believe that in the US exist a Pioneer without NAV, and may be this could not be upgraded (need the Navi CPU /conectivity?)

but on the other hand, I have asked about the upgrade for the rear speaker problem, and they don't know anything about this. I've given them the PDF with the Low Rear Sound Bias from Toyota USA, but without result. I will need to call Toyota /Lexus Spain directly and put a complaint.
Old 08-19-20, 10:56 AM
energy88
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Problems with the stock ES 350 stereo are legendary and have been so for going on 2 years now. Just search for the threads on here and most car discussion sites. Lexus' attitude has been to "get the upgraded stereo system" to avoid the problem and to give owners the run-around. Management failure to address such a widespread problem on a premium car was the principal reason I passed on Lexus in 2020. Lexus seems to be trying to rest on their laurels.
BennoB66 (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 08:37 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by energy88
Problems with the stock ES 350 stereo are legendary and have been so for going on 2 years now. Just search for the threads on here and most car discussion sites. Lexus' attitude has been to "get the upgraded stereo system" to avoid the problem and to give owners the run-around. Management failure to address such a widespread problem on a premium car was the principal reason I passed on Lexus in 2020. Lexus seems to be trying to rest on their laurels.

Most default stock stereos aren't that great. If a stereo is that big of a priority for someone that it would eliminate buying the car then why wouldn't they just buy the car with the upgraded ML stereo? I read some of these peoples complaints about the stereo but I already knew I wanted to get the upgraded stereo regardless. I really don't think Lexus is "rest on their laurels" as you suggest. Overall this is an amazing car. Try to find a car the checks ALL of the boxes and is perfect especially for this kind of money. You will NEVER find the perfect car!
Old 08-20-20, 10:53 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Problems with the stock ES 350 stereo are legendary.
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-22-20, 05:52 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

But even the upgraded ML isn't light years ahead of the stock system. The Nakamichi systems in the early 2000's sounded much better than the current ML system.
Old 08-22-20, 02:31 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Lexus upgraded the base model audio amplifier for 2020 and will provide the upgrade to all 2019 base model owners at no cost. How can you call that a "failure to address" the problem?
Old 08-22-20, 04:42 PM
energy88
Rookie

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Lexus upgraded the base model audio amplifier for 2020 and will provide the upgrade to all 2019 base model owners at no cost. How can you call that a "failure to address" the problem?
Sorry, I wasn't aware that management had finally corrected the problem. I crossed Lexus off my buy list last October when the 2020s were arriving out without correction and the problem was still not being addressed after 2 years and owners were still being given the run around. IMHO, denying a problem and taking 2 years to correct it is a serious management failure, especially on a car line that holds itself out to be a premium brand.

I'm glad to hear for the sake of the 2019 and 2020 ES 350 buyers that Lexus has finally done the right thing and corrected the problem. I know there was a lot of consumer frustration with Lexus over the issue and there were probably half a dozen threads here over it. This probably explains why the Consumer Reports owner reliability survey gave the ES a mediocre rating for 2019 models for In-Car Electronics.

Has the law suit against Lexus over the faulty stereo been dropped yet?
Old 08-23-20, 08:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't aware that management had finally corrected the problem. I crossed Lexus off my buy list last October when the 2020s were arriving out without correction and the problem was still not being addressed after 2 years and owners were still being given the run around. IMHO, denying a problem and taking 2 years to correct it is a serious management failure, especially on a car line that holds itself out to be a premium brand.

I'm glad to hear for the sake of the 2019 and 2020 ES 350 buyers that Lexus has finally done the right thing and corrected the problem. I know there was a lot of consumer frustration with Lexus over the issue and there were probably half a dozen threads here over it. This probably explains why the Consumer Reports owner reliability survey gave the ES a mediocre rating for 2019 models for In-Car Electronics.

Has the law suit against Lexus over the faulty stereo been dropped yet?
There will be zero issues with the brand you decide to put on your "buy list". No worries.
Old 08-23-20, 08:49 AM
energy88
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
There will be zero issues with the brand you decide to put on your "buy list". No worries.
The best policy to largely achieving that goal is to never buy the first year of a newly released car design. Yes, even Lexus can fail; however their attitude that the consumer is wrong for complaining is a big disappointment and starting to tarnish the brand.
bc6152 (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 11:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

The best policy to largely achieving that goal is to never buy the first year of a newly released car design. Yes, even Lexus can fail; however their attitude that the consumer is wrong for complaining is a big disappointment and starting to tarnish the brand.
Agreed on the first year redesigned model but in this case, I had no concerns purchasing the 19 when it was introduced. Read other forums - there not a single mfr/model that doesnt come with consumer complaints. NONE. At the end of the day, test drive and buy what you enjoy - later on when it needs repairs, it wont hurt as much if you're still enjoying it!
Old 08-24-20, 09:56 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Attacks Lexus/Toyota Again