Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Attacks Lexus/Toyota Again

https://www.consumerreports.org/info...nment-systems/

https://www.consumerreports.org/info...811_nsltr_cars
Old 08-11-20, 10:25 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Who cares. We can go back to AM only radios and then there will be nothing to complain about. The more an infotainment system is expected to do, the more clunky it's going to be. I spent roughly 20 minutes two weeks ago pairing my new Galaxy S20. The maze of sub menus was enough to make me scream At the end of the day, it worked and all is well.
Old 08-11-20, 01:38 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with most of the report. Though I haven't seen or used other car maker's systems except Honda and Hyundai, IMO there is a lot of improvement necessary and that includes Lexus. Wife's top of the line Honda is worse than my Lexus... Son just bought a new Mazda CX30 in January and that system looks promising but a very small screen. Still working at it...

Old 08-12-20, 03:48 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"Although many Lexus vehicles are at the top of CR’s reliability and owner satisfaction ratings, their distracting infotainment systems can be deal breakers for some buyers."
And this is so true. You can operate the latest gen ES fine as long as the car is parked. I am keeping my 2017 ES and won't even consider getting the latest gen ES. Lexus really f****d up here with the latest Gen ES. One should not have a vehicle that is so frustrating to operate. I have heard people returning their latest Gen ES and going back to their older ES. They would rather take the financial hit then live in agony with the new model.
Old 08-12-20, 06:09 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it is truly "agonizing" living with this model
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bootman (08-12-20), Lexuss07 (08-12-20), patnic517 (08-13-20)
Old 08-12-20, 07:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I don't think that anyone driving a new Lexus Executive Sedan is experiencing anything close to agony, maybe a little annoyance here and there.
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (08-12-20)
Old 08-12-20, 07:56 AM
TDMR
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Who cares. We can go back to AM only radios and then there will be nothing to complain about. The more an infotainment system is expected to do, the more clunky it's going to be. I spent roughly 20 minutes two weeks ago pairing my new Galaxy S20. The maze of sub menus was enough to make me scream At the end of the day, it worked and all is well.
Wait? There are other phones besides an iPhone??
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (08-13-20)
Old 08-12-20, 09:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TDMR
Wait? There are other phones besides an iPhone??
No Crapple for me other than the shares I own soon to be 4X
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dklanecky1 (08-13-20), patnic517 (08-13-20)
Old 08-12-20, 09:40 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Who cares. We can go back to AM only radios and then there will be nothing to complain about....
Well, not exactly. Back when out RX was new (2013), my wife was complaining about the AM reception, saying it was noticeably worse than our 2010. I took it in, thinking that an antenna connection may have been bad. They didn't even look for an issue! I mentioned that none (at the time this was our 4th Lexus) of the others are nearly as bad! I was TOTALLY dismissed by the service writer, who told me that AM reception is always bad and the radio is "performing as expected". I really dislike that phrase that I seem to hear every time I have a warranty issue with Lexus, and complained about it on this forum. I was roundly criticized and repeatedly told that I shouldn't be listening to AM anyway. Apparently, "no one listens to AM", so it doesn't matter.

BTW - I generally agree with the article. The Lexus Nav system is painful to use, and the awful voice response is no help for me at all. After learning how to use ACP effectively (it took a little effort to adjust to a few quirks), I now use it exclusively. It's not perfect either, but way better than the Lexus system. I even bought the wireless ACP adapter so it connects automatically.

Last edited by User 41924; 08-12-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 12:18 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Well, not exactly. Back when out RX was new (2013), my wife was complaining about the AM reception, saying it was noticeably worse than our 2010. I took it in, thinking that an antenna connection may have been bad. They didn't even look for an issue! I mentioned that none (at the time this was our 4th Lexus) of the others are nearly as bad! I was TOTALLY dismissed by the service writer, who told me that AM reception is always bad and the radio is "performing as expected". I really dislike that phrase that I seem to hear every time I have a warranty issue with Lexus, and complained about it on this forum. I was roundly criticized and repeatedly told that I shouldn't be listening to AM anyway. Apparently, "no one listens to AM", so it doesn't matter.

BTW - I generally agree with the article. The Lexus Nav system is painful to use, and the awful voice response is no help for me at all. After learning how to use ACP effectively (it took a little effort to adjust to a few quirks), I now use it exclusively. It's not perfect either, but way better than the Lexus system. I even bought the wireless ACP adapter so it connects automatically.
Many AM stations broadcast on FM HD if you really want to listen without the static.
Old 08-12-20, 03:54 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuss07
"Although many Lexus vehicles are at the top of CR’s reliability and owner satisfaction ratings, their distracting infotainment systems can be deal breakers for some buyers."
And this is so true. You can operate the latest gen ES fine as long as the car is parked. I am keeping my 2017 ES and won't even consider getting the latest gen ES. Lexus really f****d up here with the latest Gen ES. One should not have a vehicle that is so frustrating to operate. I have heard people returning their latest Gen ES and going back to their older ES. They would rather take the financial hit then live in agony with the new model.

I read some of these complaints before I bought my 2020 ES350 UL and it wasn't even close to a deal breaker for me. You can easily access almost all of the functions of the infotainment system through VOICE Command, buttons on the Steering Wheel and buttons on the dash. Honestly how often would you even need to use this through the pad when you were driving? You will NEVER find the perfect car and I guarantee you this Generation car is a step above your 2017 in almost every category! I'm sure its EXTREMELY rare people returning this car and returning to their old car as you are implying. Have you ever even drove one yet?
Old 08-12-20, 04:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carsareus
I read some of these complaints before I bought my 2020 ES350 UL and it wasn't even close to a deal breaker for me. You can easily access almost all of the functions of the infotainment system through VOICE Command, buttons on the Steering Wheel and buttons on the dash. Honestly how often would you even need to use this through the pad when you were driving? You will NEVER find the perfect car and I guarantee you this Generation car is a step above your 2017 in almost every category! I'm sure its EXTREMELY rare people returning this car and returning to their old car as you are implying. Have you ever even drove one yet?
The thrill of victory and the AGONY of driving a new ES😁
Old 08-12-20, 05:10 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Consumer Reports is far from alone with this complaint. When I was shopping for my 2019 last year, I saw 3 or 4 major reviews with the essentially the same title -- "Lexus gets everything right except one thing" Of course the one thing is the infotainment system and the trackpad in particular.

That said, I don't mind it. You get used to stuff over time. OTOH, this was my first new car in 15 years, so I haven't used other infotainment systems to compare. Also, I use CarPlay almost exclusively, so I don't deal with the infotainment system much anymore, just the trackpad.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
energy88 (08-19-20), Lexuss07 (08-13-20)
Old 08-13-20, 03:26 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

#1 in reliability along with customer loyalty and lowest depreciation and lowest maintenance cost in the luxury division over seven years. I am okay with an average infotainment system. Do I wish it was better and Lexus had Android Auto in 2017 models absolutely.
Old 08-13-20, 07:20 AM
Lexuss07
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

For owners who are ditching the latest gen ES and going back to their old ES, that tells you something.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Attacks Lexus/Toyota Again