New ES owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 05:22 PM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ES owner

Hi all,

just took home a new 2019 Es F sport. MSRP $51,500. I paid $39,200. I also purchased the wheel and tire protection. Anytime I’m buying something new I look over every detail constantly looking for flaws 🤦🏻‍♂️ I noticed some curb rash , albeit very minor it’s still there. Does wheel and tire protection cover this? I only bought this car a week ago and I know I didn’t hit any curbs. Should I even worry about something minor? Also have a small gouge on the trunk. Will post pic later.

Old 08-27-20, 10:01 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on the new ES. Wouldn't think you can still get a 2019 at this point. However, that was a great price. As for the wheel damage, the wheel and tire protection, assuming it is through Lexus Financial will not cover cosmetic damage. Only if the wheel is damaged to the point where it is unsafe.

You can touch that up with Toyota 1E3 paint. Extremely close match. But I would go back to the Lexus dealer and give them a hard time about that and the trunk gouge you mentioned.
Old 08-27-20, 10:47 AM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. I bought the car in Virginia and I live in Michigan so I can’t go back to that dealer, too long of a drive 😐

Originally Posted by acotugno
Congrats on the new ES. Wouldn't think you can still get a 2019 at this point. However, that was a great price. As for the wheel damage, the wheel and tire protection, assuming it is through Lexus Financial will not cover cosmetic damage. Only if the wheel is damaged to the point where it is unsafe.

You can touch that up with Toyota 1E3 paint. Extremely close match. But I would go back to the Lexus dealer and give them a hard time about that and the trunk gouge you mentioned.
Old 08-27-20, 01:32 PM
PeterA
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Touch up should be fine for a small area like that. I would just do the spots where the paint is gone and not try to paint the surface scratches. You'll have more scuffs in the future and can redo the wheel at that time.
Old 08-27-20, 03:23 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

That damage can be repaired by a skilled wheel repair person. I had scraped my wheel in a parking lot and searched around for repair services. One day while at my dealer I saw a man working on wheels like ours. I asked him if he could fix mine and he said he'd come to my home do it. He did mine and my son's wheels in the driveway and the repair cannot be seen.
So look around on local ads and on the internet and hopefully you'll get lucky. The repair would probably be around $100.00. They sand it smooth, buff it, primer it, put the wheel color on, then clear coat it. Looks like new...
Old 08-27-20, 03:26 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

The dealers all have someone that will do wheel repairs. They will even come right to your home. I believe it was $70 for our last ES, if we took it to the dealer on the day he was going to be there doing some other repair work. It was something like $30 more if we wanted him to come to our house. They did a great job and it looked perfect when they were done. So for me, I would want it to look perfect and there is no way I could get that with touch-up paint. I’m just not that good with those paints...

I guess my point is simply that it isn’t really that expensive if you want a professional repair, but if you are good with touch-up paints and the damage isn’t too major, then you may prefer giving that a try. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-28-20, 07:08 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno

There are four levels of coverage on the service agreement. When we bought wife's 19 300h we bought the Platinum Plus coverage which is titled "Tire and Wheel Protection with Cosmetic Coverage." It also covers Paintless Ding Repairs and Windshield Repairs. Cost was $700 for 5 yrs of coverage, and since wife has been known to scrape curbs, and with dent and windshield coverage she wanted to get it. Windshield coverage does not include replacement, just chip/crack repair. Re wheels, repairs such as OP has would be covered, and basic test for wheel replacement would be if rim bent so tire would not hold air.
Old 08-28-20, 08:40 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

There is Tire and Wheel Protection Platinum and Tire and Wheel Protection Platinum Plus. Never seen it titled as "Tire and Wheel Protection with Cosmetic Coverage" Hmm

The
Platinum Plus adds Paintless Dent removal and Windshield chip and crack repair. Does not add curb rash or any wheel damage unless it meets eligible road hazards and your wheel cannot maintain air due to the damage. If you got curb rash done, your dealer might have been doing you a special favor.

These are the details of the plans.....

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...rotection.html

I get this plan more for the tires because in South Florida with all the construction, nails and screws through the tires are so common and they seem to always penetrate at the edge which necessitates replacing the tire. Did use it once to replace a wheel on a previous Lexus I had when I struck a large piece of plywood on the FL turnpike and the rim of course was bent. Had a blowout and it covered wheel and tire. Didn't cover the replacement of my underwear after getting a left-front blowout at 70MPH.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (08-28-20)