ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Has anyone installed a tow hitch on the 7th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21 | 03:51 PM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 600
Legal jargon to shed liability? “Didn’t come factory so we can’t endorse it, but a GX please!”

Similarly, Toyota USA provides no literature on tow capacity for the Prius, but Toyota EU says you can pull 725kg, go figure.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why you CAN do it with the factory's blessing on the two sister vehicles.

Also, "Lexus does not recommend" leaves carefully vague whether they'd try to void the warranty over it.

Last edited by LexFinally; 08-18-21 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-20-21 | 01:55 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
I found a copy of the Canadian Lexus ES owner's manual for 2021. It says this:

"Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers."

Obviously based on OP's experience, the car is nearly identical to Avalon and Camry for the purpose and does the job just fine. I wonder why Lexus is taking this stance?
Because it's factually true that despite the shared architecture, the ES is not designed, approved, or certified for towing. There's probably a lot involved beyond the comprehension and understanding of the average layman that drives their vehicles. There's validation, testing, etc. that goes into the smallest part of a car, particularly if it comes with literature that goes into an owners manual.

Doesn't mean you can't do a mod successfully, you'll just have to do your own research and take your own risks. it's not Lexus's job to explore every potential mod that can be done and spend the money and time to put it in the owners manual. They're a business and need to protect themselves. Towing is one of those things that can go really wrong if done wrong and cause harm to people and things.
The following users liked this post:
ATL350 (03-27-22)
Old 08-31-21 | 07:00 AM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

Default Ordered Hitch Receiver, Wiring Harness

600 Thank you so much for sharing your valuable information.
I just bought a 2019 Lexus ES 300H.
I traded my 2013 Lexus ES 300H that had the hitch. I used hitch for light towing of a Jet Ski and utility trailer. Used the utility trailer constantly for all kinds of projects.
Just ordered: From etrailer.com
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" - C11576
Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector - C34FR also part #56417
Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver with 5" Rise -
HT5R "This is great if you want to use a Cargo Holder. There is a good one from Harbor Freight (Haul-Master 500 Lb. Capacity Aluminum Cargo Carrier)
Of course would not use more than 150 pounds if even that, never did in the past with my 2013 ES 300H.
Parts arriving 9/3/21 or possible 9/2/21.
I plan on towing a motorcycle just like you for track days or to that occasional Dragons Tail location in North Carolina etc. I have been to http://jenningsgp.com/ for the track.

"600 where do you live in Florida as I live here to, would be happy to pay you well to install my Htich Receiver etc.. Please let me know if possible my email address is attached to my user name.

I am hoping there is NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE from Normal 2019 ES 350 and 2019 ES 300H in the frame or blocking items where hitch needs to go?

Old 08-31-21 | 07:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Doubt there's any difference. I've studied the body diagrams in detail. The main differences structure wise is below the rear seat in terms of the steel stampings to accommodate the battery. that's about it. I don't know 100% for sure but i don't see any reason to be much different. wouldn't be wise from a business standpoint.
Old 08-31-21 | 08:44 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dopamine99
600 Thank you so much for sharing your valuable information.
I just bought a 2019 Lexus ES 300H.
I traded my 2013 Lexus ES 300H that had the hitch. I used hitch for light towing of a Jet Ski and utility trailer. Used the utility trailer constantly for all kinds of projects.
Just ordered: From etrailer.com
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" - C11576
Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector - C34FR also part #56417
Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver with 5" Rise -
HT5R "This is great if you want to use a Cargo Holder. There is a good one from Harbor Freight (Haul-Master 500 Lb. Capacity Aluminum Cargo Carrier)
Of course would not use more than 150 pounds if even that, never did in the past with my 2013 ES 300H.
Parts arriving 9/3/21 or possible 9/2/21.
I plan on towing a motorcycle just like you for track days or to that occasional Dragons Tail location in North Carolina etc. I have been to http://jenningsgp.com/ for the track.

"600 where do you live in Florida as I live here to, would be happy to pay you well to install my Htich Receiver etc.. Please let me know if possible my email address is attached to my user name.

I am hoping there is NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE from Normal 2019 ES 350 and 2019 ES 300H in the frame or blocking items where hitch needs to go?

Ah nice, looks like we ride similar stuff! I didn't find an email on your profile but would be interested in installing. Shoot me a PM w/ your contact info!
Originally Posted by E46CT
Doubt there's any difference. I've studied the body diagrams in detail. The main differences structure wise is below the rear seat in terms of the steel stampings to accommodate the battery. that's about it. I don't know 100% for sure but i don't see any reason to be much different. wouldn't be wise from a business standpoint.
Nice. The only other thing I could think of was if the tail light layout was different like on the 6-6.5 Gen Camry and Camry Hybrids. They don't appear to be between the 350 and 300H.
Old 08-31-21 | 09:28 AM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

It may be because I am a new member but it wont allow me to PM.
Here is a temporary email to use chrisdirector4 @ gmail.com
Old 09-22-21 | 01:16 AM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

Default Thank you 600

Just wanted to thank 600 for all of his help and installation.
The parts worked perfect.
On the "lighting kit" pins did need to be switched to make it compatible as 600 did to his kit on his installation.
I have the ultra luxury package so there was a special "vibration shock absorber" that needed to be removed to allow hitch placement.
Also the "Tow Quick Sensor" needed to be modified/trimmed to allow hitch placement.
Bumper needed to be trimmed with two slots about a quarter of an inch to allow for hitch placement.
Pictures were taken on 600's phone if possible he may be able to post them.

Hitch itself is hidden only the small receiver portion shows.

Old 09-22-21 | 10:55 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

I have the ultra luxury package so there was a special "vibration shock absorber" that needed to be removed to allow hitch placement.
That "vibration shock absorber" is the Performance Damper.

Was it possible to reinstall the damper after the hitch was in place, or are you doing without it now? Because that's a substantial upgrade to ride quality, one of the Ultra Luxury (also F Sport) features you paid extra for.
Old 09-24-21 | 04:27 AM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
That "vibration shock absorber" is the Performance Damper.

Was it possible to reinstall the damper after the hitch was in place, or are you doing without it now? Because that's a substantial upgrade to ride quality, one of the Ultra Luxury (also F Sport) features you paid extra for.
The hitch took the physical place/location of the Performance Damper. I believe the Substantial Mass of the hitch has soaked up/removed whatever Vibration the Performance Damper was nullifying. I did not realize how expensive they can be as I see on ebay some listed from One Thousand to Thirteen Hundred.

I will visit the dealership and take a test ride in a 2019 ES300H and try and created said vibration then go over the same route with my car and see if there is a difference.
If there is then I believe there would be a way to create a new area to bolt it back on. If there is no difference then I will sell the part. Thanks for asking the question.

Old 09-24-21 | 05:21 AM
LexFinally
Pole Position

Thanks for your answer, and thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.
Old 09-24-21 | 03:55 PM
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to thank 600 for all of his help and installation.
The parts worked perfect.
On the "lighting kit" pins did need to be switched to make it compatible as 600 did to his kit on his installation.
Also the "Tow Quick Sensor" needed to be modified/trimmed to allow hitch placement.
Bumper needed to be trimmed with two slots about a quarter of an inch to allow for hitch placement.
Pictures were taken on 600's phone if possible he may be able to post them.

Couple miscellaneous pics taken during the install:

Dopamine’s ES is a J-VIN, therefore it came with a tow hook used for securing during transport. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the hybrids are all Japan built. Hitch instructions accounted for it and we reinstalled it with longer included hardware.

Vibration dampener found on Ultra Lux and F-Sport models. Something very peculiar about it was that it was bolted to the same piece of sheet metal on the same continuous plane. Imagine a shock absorber with both ends bolted to a continuous wall. When we removed it from the car, there was no stroke in the shock either. In other words, you could not compress it.. not sure how that system works. But! Provisions to mount this shock absorber are present on all ES models. The mounting studs were present on my base model which didn’t come with one.

Hybrid models are very easy to wire up since the 12v battery is in the trunk. No crawling/routing underneath the car needed.

Enlarged frame hole with carrier bolt in place

LexFinally (09-24-21)
Old 10-17-21 | 11:57 AM
Ohmzx
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for sharing this guys!!! exactly what I'm looking for .

The only problem I have is how will it make my F-sport look ha.
Old 12-27-21 | 06:32 PM
Driver School Candidate

Dirtbike duty this weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by 600:
E46CT (12-28-21), LexFinally (12-27-21)
Old 12-28-21 | 10:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I find that image kind of funny (in a good way). You have your suit and tie, classy gentleman ES, then your ***** to the wall Redbull dirt bike on the back. LOL.
Dopamine99 (09-01-23)
Old 01-03-22 | 04:19 PM
DHachey
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I have the 2013 ES300H and can't find a true hiding hitch like your 2019.

Do you know if your 2013 had a hidden hitch? I found some however they have the bar across the bottom which I would love to eliminate if all possible.

Denis Hachey

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a tow hitch on the 7th gen?