ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Has anyone installed a tow hitch on the 7th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 04:31 AM
Peddler
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed on 2022 Lexus RX350: CURT® 13272 - Class 3 Square Concealed Trailer Hitch with 2" Receiver Opening (4000/600 Weight Capacity)

Simple. Less than one hour. Remove 5 plastic plugs from frame drivers side. Remove 3 plastic plugs and 2 bolts holding tie-down bracket from passenger side.
Bolt hitch with 6 bolts and washers (provided) into factory weld nuts. Done.

Tip: You might have to use a putty knife or blade to remove the foam type caulk Lexus used to coat seams before the hitch will fit flat and snug. Check first. I didn't and had to remove to start over.

Now I am searching for a "hoppy" or other brand of quick connect wiring harness. But his Lexus did NOT have factory installed tow wiring. If anyone knows where to obtain, I would sure appreciate the tip. Otherwise it's cut-or-spice and Lexus wire colors don't exactly match the USA.

Last edited by Peddler; 04-05-22 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 04-05-22, 08:33 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Uh, you do know this is the ES forum, right?
Old 04-05-22, 09:17 AM
Peddler
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Uh, you do know this is the ES forum, right?
Oops. Sorry. Color me "gone".
Old 04-16-22, 06:12 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Who offers this not-so-hidden hitch of which you speak? I'm very interested. Both Curt and Draw-Tite's sites say there is nothing for our cars.
There are no hitches that are advertised to fit the 2019+ ES at this time. Hence why my Curt required slight trimming. The Curt hitch is very hidden. The other hitch that fits the current Camrys which I based my research on is the Draw-Tite. If you look at the installed pictures, the whole tow bar is below the bumper. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201963262
Old 04-17-22, 08:11 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by 600
There are no hitches that are advertised to fit the 2019+ ES at this time. Hence why my Curt required slight trimming. The Curt hitch is very hidden. The other hitch that fits the current Camrys which I based my research on is the Draw-Tite. If you look at the installed pictures, the whole tow bar is below the bumper. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201963262
Thanks. Watched the Camry instructional video on the lower left of the page. I'd love to hear from anyone who's poked around under the back of an ES 350 whether it looks the same under there as under the Camry.
Old 04-24-22, 01:36 PM
Tima8856
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dopamine99
600 Thank you so much for sharing your valuable information.
I just bought a 2019 Lexus ES 300H.
I traded my 2013 Lexus ES 300H that had the hitch. I used hitch for light towing of a Jet Ski and utility trailer. Used the utility trailer constantly for all kinds of projects.
Just ordered: From etrailer.com
Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" - C11576
Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector - C34FR also part #56417
Hitch Adapter 1-1/4" to 2" Trailer Hitch Receiver with 5" Rise -
HT5R "This is great if you want to use a Cargo Holder. There is a good one from Harbor Freight (Haul-Master 500 Lb. Capacity Aluminum Cargo Carrier)
Of course would not use more than 150 pounds if even that, never did in the past with my 2013 ES 300H.
Parts arriving 9/3/21 or possible 9/2/21.
I plan on towing a motorcycle just like you for track days or to that occasional Dragons Tail location in North Carolina etc. I have been to http://jenningsgp.com/ for the track.

"600 where do you live in Florida as I live here to, would be happy to pay you well to install my Htich Receiver etc.. Please let me know if possible my email address is attached to my user name.

I am hoping there is NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE from Normal 2019 ES 350 and 2019 ES 300H in the frame or blocking items where hitch needs to go?

Hey
Did you install the trailer Hitch successfully? I am considering a 2022 ES 30h but really have a bike rack that we use on the Acura RDX that Im trading in and I need to have it on the ES.
Thanks
Old 04-24-22, 10:57 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

To sell a vehicle with an optional tow hitch, the manufacturer or the third party aftermarket supplier must do safety crash testing to certify.
Because the manufacturer does not anticipate many customers purchasing the tow hitch option, the manufacturer has not provided formal crash testing for certification.

Hence we end up with examples where a vehicle comes optional with tow hitches in one country, but the exact same vehicle does not have optional tow hitches in another country.
Old 04-25-22, 06:40 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by peteharvey
To sell a vehicle with an optional tow hitch, the manufacturer or the third party aftermarket supplier must do safety crash testing to certify.
Because the manufacturer does not anticipate many customers purchasing the tow hitch option, the manufacturer has not provided formal crash testing for certification.

Hence we end up with examples where a vehicle comes optional with tow hitches in one country, but the exact same vehicle does not have optional tow hitches in another country.
Which makes perfect sense — it's almost exactly what Curt's rep told me over the phone (he was very helpful, actually).

And leads to the next question: Are there any countries outside the USA where there are tow hitches explicitly marketed for the ES?
Old 04-25-22, 05:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Which makes perfect sense — it's almost exactly what Curt's rep told me over the phone (he was very helpful, actually).

And leads to the next question: Are there any countries outside the USA where there are tow hitches explicitly marketed for the ES?
I don't know about the ES, but here is my US GS with an OEM European Lexus tow hitch; not available locally in USA.

I was against the locally available aftermarket Curts because they hang too low beneath the rear skirt, so are known to scrape the curbs.
If I'm not wrong, the Curts is a more heavy duty rated tow hitch than the European Lexus OEM tow hitch.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-25-22 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 06:32 PM
LexFinally
Racer

But that European GS hitch, as I guess one would expect from an OEM option, is a very sleek installation. Thanks for sharing it!
Old 11-12-22, 07:48 AM
Vist
3rd Gear

Default U-Haul Ultra Lux Hitch Install

My 2021 ES 350 Ultra Lux has the lateral stability damper and the kick sensor that may physically obstruct a hitch installation. I want to install a hitch for a bike rack and called U-Haul and they say they can install a Draw-Tite CQT36643 (Draw-Tite Class II Hitch: Part Number:36643) on the ES 350 Ultra Lux. Has anyone had U-Haul install a hitch on your 2019 to 2022 ES 350 Ultra Lux?
Old 11-17-22, 07:33 AM
birigoboom
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: towing

I’ve only had my 19 ES350 for a couple of months but I’ve noticed how incredibly soft the rear springs are. I wouldn’t be surprised if the low/zero tow rating has something to do with the soft springs. With less than 100lbs in the trunk forward of the rear wheels, the rear drops about 3/4”. Have anyone with a hitch installed notice this at all? Anyone aware of replacement springs for cargo/increased capacity for people hauling?
Old 11-18-22, 07:43 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Originally Posted by birigoboom
I’ve only had my 19 ES350 for a couple of months but I’ve noticed how incredibly soft the rear springs are. I wouldn’t be surprised if the low/zero tow rating has something to do with the soft springs. With less than 100lbs in the trunk forward of the rear wheels, the rear drops about 3/4”. Have anyone with a hitch installed notice this at all? Anyone aware of replacement springs for cargo/increased capacity for people hauling?
Interesting speculation.
Old 02-17-23, 12:28 PM
Pizzacato
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Vist
My 2021 ES 350 Ultra Lux has the lateral stability damper and the kick sensor that may physically obstruct a hitch installation. I want to install a hitch for a bike rack and called U-Haul and they say they can install a Draw-Tite CQT36643 (Draw-Tite Class II Hitch: Part Number:36643) on the ES 350 Ultra Lux. Has anyone had U-Haul install a hitch on your 2019 to 2022 ES 350 Ultra Lux?
Did you get U-Haul to install it successfully? I have the 19' Ultra Lux and looking to install a hitch-mounted bike rack.
Old 03-06-23, 07:57 PM
Dopamine99
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The awesome member on this forum "600" helped and did 90% of the work. The hitch works great and have been using it for many projects.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a tow hitch on the 7th gen?