ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20 | 05:54 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Some of the manufacturers are already there.

And, on internet boards, you will find complaints similar to the ones in this thread for other cars with transmissions having 8 or more speeds. While I'm sure that there are relatively minor potential improvements in fuel economy with more transmission speeds, there are also definite drawbacks.
Lexus has a ten speed in the LS and LC I believe.
Old 09-15-20 | 07:21 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Think my problem is resolved. For kicks and giggles I tried the Eco Mode. Wow, a major improvement. I never considered Eco because read so many places that Sports Mode is the solution and it is better. I can not give a technical explanation but Eco gives a much smoother acceleration from a rolling stop. Maybe just my style of driving but I now look forward to driving my new ES instead of dreading it. Also, the stock stereo sounds great!
The following users liked this post:
ESh (09-26-20)
Old 09-15-20 | 07:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by artbuc
Think my problem is resolved. For kicks and giggles I tried the Eco Mode. Wow, a major improvement. I never considered Eco because read so many places that Sports Mode is the solution and it is better. I can not give a technical explanation but Eco gives a much smoother acceleration from a rolling stop. Maybe just my style of driving but I now look forward to driving my new ES instead of dreading it. Also, the stock stereo sounds great!
A happy ending for you. Life is good...
Old 09-15-20 | 08:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Did you really DREAD driving in SPORT mode? I've tried ECO and it's not for me but I've read where others prefer it so happy for you now.
Old 09-15-20 | 08:35 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Did you really DREAD driving in SPORT mode? I've tried ECO and it's not for me but I've read where others prefer it so happy for you now.
No, Sports Mode made a big improvement. I dreaded Normal Mode which gave me whiplash if I accelerated from a rolling stop. Eco, for me, is a major improvement over Sports Mode. Sports Mode mitigated whiplash but I did not like the sports car growl and holding lower gears longer. I liked that in 1974 with my brand new TR6 but those days are long gone. I enjoy a quiet, smooth powerful acceleration. I bought a brand new LS400 in 1995. That car defined my idea of a smooth quiet powerful acceleration.
Old 09-15-20 | 09:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
No, Sports Mode made a big improvement. I dreaded Normal Mode which gave me whiplash if I accelerated from a rolling stop. Eco, for me, is a major improvement over Sports Mode. Sports Mode mitigated whiplash but I did not like the sports car growl and holding lower gears longer. I liked that in 1974 with my brand new TR6 but those days are long gone. I enjoy a quiet, smooth powerful acceleration. I bought a brand new LS400 in 1995. That car defined my idea of a smooth quiet powerful acceleration.
Got it - wishing you a speedy recovery from the whiplash Cars today are definitely different from 1974.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20 | 01:33 PM
tmoncmm
Rookie

I too have the same complaints about the trans. I spoke to my SA about it and took one of the techs on a drive with me. He said he felt it and I wasn’t the first to complain about that. He said they had similar issues with the RX and Lexus had three software updates to correct it. That gives us some hope I suppose. Maybe they’ll do something similar for the ES.

I can’t do ECO mode. I find it far too muted and sluggish.

For the person that said they didn’t want the increased engine noise in sport mode, you could set the engine/trans to performance mode in custom if you have an F sport. It proves the same responsiveness as sport without the increased engine noise. Custom allows you to customize engine/trans, suspension and climate control. I have mine set to performance for engine/trans and suspension and normal for climate so it’s like sport+ without the reduce AC or engine noise.

Incidentally, there are very similar complaints about the new 8 speeds in the Avalons and Camrys in the Toyota forums.
Old 09-15-20 | 02:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmoncmm
I too have the same complaints about the trans. I spoke to my SA about it and took one of the techs on a drive with me. He said he felt it and I wasn’t the first to complain about that. He said they had similar issues with the RX and Lexus had three software updates to correct it. That gives us some hope I suppose. Maybe they’ll do something similar for the ES.

I can’t do ECO mode. I find it far too muted and sluggish.

For the person that said they didn’t want the increased engine noise in sport mode, you could set the engine/trans to performance mode in custom if you have an F sport. It proves the same responsiveness as sport without the increased engine noise. Custom allows you to customize engine/trans, suspension and climate control. I have mine set to performance for engine/trans and suspension and normal for climate so it’s like sport+ without the reduce AC or engine noise.

Incidentally, there are very similar complaints about the new 8 speeds in the Avalons and Camrys in the Toyota forums.
I believe it's only SportPlus that adds the fake engine noise. Not the case with Sport which is what I drive in routinely and I don't even have the Plus option since I opted to go without AVS.
Old 09-15-20 | 02:32 PM
tmoncmm
Rookie

Mine has the noise in sport and sport+ But not in custom even with the engine/trans in performance mode.

i will say that I had the opportunity recently to drive an ES without AVS and boy is it different. Not nearly as smooth or responsive as AVS and the ability to tighten it up when you want the tighter handling is great.
Old 09-15-20 | 02:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Mine has the noise in sport and sport+ But not in custom even with the engine/trans in performance mode.

i will say that I had the opportunity recently to drive an ES without AVS and boy is it different. Not nearly as smooth or responsive as AVS and the ability to tighten it up when you want the tighter handling is great.
I wanted no part of the potential replacement cost of the avs suspension so I specifically shopped for one sans the option.
Old 09-15-20 | 03:36 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Mike what is AVS?
Old 09-15-20 | 03:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Mike what is AVS?
Adaptive variable suspension.
Old 09-15-20 | 04:36 PM
tmoncmm
Rookie

Replacement cost is a valid concern for sure. I wonder if it’s a maintinance part like regular suspension.
Old 09-15-20 | 05:15 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Replacement cost is a valid concern for sure. I wonder if it’s a maintinance part like regular suspension.
Shocks/struts so if you keep the car long enough (I own mine - no leases for me), eventually you may be faced with it.
Old 09-15-20 | 08:30 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Cool

Originally Posted by bc6152
Join the club. I had a 2013 with a 6 speed and it was smooth as butter. The 8 speed is always searching for a gear and is indeed "jerky"... What you describe is accurate. I found if you ease the accelerator the jerking is moderated somewhat. It is what it is at this point...
Agreed. I have a 2014 ES and finally something broke (oil pan leak and cruise control stalk) after six years--my first "repair". [Side note, I use the cruise control 99% of the time, so I guess I wore out the contacts.]

Anyway, I had a free 2020 ES rental for three days. I did not like the transmission. I agree it seemed like it was searching for gears. My six-speed on my 2014 ES works great. I drove the 2020 for three days and tried to be "honest" about being a "new" car and having to get used to it. But I think it just doesn't cut it. I came back to mine and I could speed up, slow down, etc., much smoother. I use the manu-matic a lot and don't like having to switch eight gears up and down either.

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission