ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 02:24 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tmoncmm
.....I can’t do ECO mode. I find it far too muted and sluggish....Incidentally, there are very similar complaints about the new 8 speeds in the Avalons and Camrys in the Toyota forums.
Sluggish is exactly what I thought Eco would be which is why I took so long to even try it. For me, lots of power in Eco if you give her some throttle and easy to kick into passing gear if you need it. Don’t mind the downshift when I call for it and expect it. Right, Avalon and Camry have same trans and engine so have same jerky response. I first learned about the issue on ToyotaNation myself.
Old 09-16-20, 06:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Sluggish is exactly what I thought Eco would be which is why I took so long to even try it. For me, lots of power in Eco if you give her some throttle and easy to kick into passing gear if you need it. Don’t mind the downshift when I call for it and expect it. Right, Avalon and Camry have same trans and engine so have same jerky response. I first learned about the issue on ToyotaNation myself.
Just out of curiosity, I tried ECO this morning when approaching a full stop and experienced the same little hesitation as you feel in the other modes. Throttle response in ECO is dreadful.
Old 09-16-20, 09:12 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Just out of curiosity, I tried ECO this morning when approaching a full stop and experienced the same little hesitation as you feel in the other modes. Throttle response in ECO is dreadful.
I’ll have to experiment more...maybe I will come to same conclusion.
Old 09-16-20, 09:33 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Think my problem is resolved. For kicks and giggles I tried the Eco Mode. Wow, a major improvement. I never considered Eco because read so many places that Sports Mode is the solution and it is better. I can not give a technical explanation but Eco gives a much smoother acceleration from a rolling stop. Maybe just my style of driving but I now look forward to driving my new ES instead of dreading it. Also, the stock stereo sounds great!
I made the same discovery!

I had the same problem in a 2016 NX, and absolutely hated driving it. After several trips to see if they could fix it, I finally discovered what caused my issue and how to recreate it. Right before I traded it in on my ES. I believe that Lexus does not expect ANYTHING resembling aggressive driving in an ES, and the throttle and transmission mapping simply can't handle it. Downshifts especially are slow and clunky, and upshifts are slow but very smooth. If you back off a little, it works much better. On the ES, I tried Sport mode and it was better, but I don't like having to change to Sport every time I start the car. Then read on this forum (because I NEVER would have tried it on my own!) that it Stays in Eco even after you turn it off. So I tried it, and my issue was almost completely resolved! Manual downshifting helps too, even in Eco, assuming you remember to do it before it's needed. Plus!!! When you move it to Sport mode after getting used to Eco, it makes your car feel MUCH faster!

Old 09-16-20, 09:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I made the same discovery!

I had the same problem in a 2016 NX, and absolutely hated driving it. After several trips to see if they could fix it, I finally discovered what caused my issue and how to recreate it. Right before I traded it in on my ES. I believe that Lexus does not expect ANYTHING resembling aggressive driving in an ES, and the throttle and transmission mapping simply can't handle it. Downshifts especially are slow and clunky, and upshifts are slow but very smooth. If you back off a little, it works much better. On the ES, I tried Sport mode and it was better, but I don't like having to change to Sport every time I start the car. Then read on this forum (because I NEVER would have tried it on my own!) that it Stays in Eco even after you turn it off. So I tried it, and my issue was almost completely resolved! Manual downshifting helps too, even in Eco, assuming you remember to do it before it's needed. Plus!!! When you move it to Sport mode after getting used to Eco, it makes your car feel MUCH faster!
So are you saying when you manually select ECO then shut down the engine and upon restart, it will indeed still be in ECO because the CAFE police allow that (as opposed to SPORT which they don't allow), the ride somehow changes??
Old 09-16-20, 10:08 AM
User 41924
Instructor

So are you saying when you manually select ECO then shut down the engine and upon restart, it will indeed still be in ECO because the CAFE police allow that (as opposed to SPORT which they don't allow), the ride somehow changes??
Yes, Sir!!! It was life-changing for me! OK. That might be an overstatement, but I was able to enjoy driving without the constant annoyance of terrible shifting, and I can put it in Normal or Sport mode as I choose. As long as I remember to put it back.

ECO changes the throttle mapping, transmission shiftpoints, steering, and even some of the HVAC when put into ECO mode. My car doesn't change the suspension with ECO. I may be wrong, but I think that's only FSport (and/or some non-US cars). All of these changes are supposed to result in better mileage. It actually works on a long drive! I would guess 2 to 3 MPG in my style of driving. My guess is that the CAFE standards think it's OK because of the increased mileage. They don't seem to care about ride or handling.
Old 09-16-20, 10:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, Sir!!! It was life-changing for me! OK. That might be an overstatement, but I was able to enjoy driving without the constant annoyance of terrible shifting, and I can put it in Normal or Sport mode as I choose. As long as I remember to put it back.

ECO changes the throttle mapping, transmission shiftpoints, steering, and even some of the HVAC when put into ECO mode. My car doesn't change the suspension with ECO. I may be wrong, but I think that's only FSport (and/or some non-US cars). All of these changes are supposed to result in better mileage. It actually works on a long drive! I would guess 2 to 3 MPG in my style of driving. My guess is that the CAFE standards think it's OK because of the increased mileage. They don't seem to care about ride or handling.
I just don't understand why the change is only evident after BOTH a selection of ECO and then a shut down and restart. Merely curiosity as i will NEVER drive in ECO.
Old 09-16-20, 10:40 AM
User 41924
Instructor

I just don't understand why the change is only evident after BOTH a selection of ECO and then a shut down and restart. Merely curiosity as i will NEVER drive in ECO.
If I gave that impression, it was an error. You don't have to restart. I was only saying that the car will stay in ECO even after a restart, as opposed to reverting to Normal as Sport mode does.

You get used to ECO, and adapt. At least I did, but it was hard for me at first. I have made the same comment in the past, but it's worth it for the improved shifting in my opinion. I rarely even measure my mileage.
Old 09-16-20, 10:48 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

If I gave that impression, it was an error. You don't have to restart. I was only saying that the car will stay in ECO even after a restart, as opposed to reverting to Normal as Sport mode does.

You get used to ECO, and adapt. At least I did, but it was hard for me at first. I have made the same comment in the past, but it's worth it for the improved shifting in my opinion. I rarely even measure my mileage.
Got it but as I said earlier, I tried ECO this morning as I approached a full stop and still experienced that little hesitation as it downshifts to 1 as you're about to feed the throttle. End of the day, use the mode you enjoy most - for me, that's SPORT.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 09:58 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd like to drive in sport mode but the handle is very tightened
Old 09-17-20, 06:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UPWA
I'd like to drive in sport mode but the handle is very tightened
SPORT + - I don't think SPORT changes handling - just throttle response.
Old 09-18-20, 03:43 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Seems like Sport mode increases RPM's to the max at Wide open Throttle? Also Sport mode does help with the whiplash shift. Still have to anticipate it and baby the gas pedal or manually shift way down to lower gears.
Old 09-19-20, 07:11 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have not experienced as much jerking as everyone described in this thread but have felt some. But for the most part it's pretty smooth for me.
Old 09-21-20, 08:39 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Here's a TSB I found regarding the drivability issue many of us are experiencing. They kept my car for over a week back in the spring collecting data off of it. They didn't offer me the questionnaire found in this TSB though. This isn't a TSB with a fix, rather it shows that Lexus knows of the problem and they are collecting data on it.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Lexus/...8-20-rev.shtml

Last edited by Ltvscout; 09-21-20 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
Old 09-21-20, 12:44 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 536 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Here's a TSB I found regarding the drivability issue many of us are experiencing. They kept my car for over a week back in the spring collecting data off of it. They didn't offer me the questionnaire found in this TSB though. This isn't a TSB with a fix, rather it shows that Lexus knows of the problem and they are collecting data on it.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Lexus/...-0020-20.shtml
That is the wrong URL for the transmission TSB. (Your posted URL is for the Low Rear Sound Bias TSB for the ES base audio system.) See LEXUS TSB #L-TT-0288-20 REVLEXUS TSB #L-TT-0288-20 REV for the jerky transmission for the carcomplaints.com TSB summary or Vehicle Drivability Complaint Questionnaire for the full PDF document posted at the NHTSA web site.

Last edited by grp52; 09-21-20 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Fixed incorrect you're usage with your

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission