ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 04:24 PM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by grp52
That is the wrong URL for the transmission TSB. (Your posted URL is for the Low Rear Sound Bias TSB for the ES base audio system.) See LEXUS TSB #L-TT-0288-20 REVLEXUS TSB #L-TT-0288-20 REV for the jerky transmission for the carcomplaints.com TSB summary or Vehicle Drivability Complaint Questionnaire for the full PDF document posted at the NHTSA web site.
Arrrgg! Sorry, I have my post fixed.
Old 09-28-20, 08:47 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

I have a 5th gen ES and looking to buy a new 2020, but this thread is giving me second thoughts. One thing posters should keep in mind regarding shifting is modern cars learn their driver's style and proclivities. Thus, if one is constantly changing settings, and experimenting with different driving techniques to minimize the jerking issue, it may affect the engine and tranny ECU's from being able to learn well or learn as quickly. I suggest that those having issues try driving in their normal style for a week or two and see if the car's brains can fine tune the throttle response and shift-points to an acceptable degree. If not, let me know, because I'm not buying a shifty new Lexus!
Old 09-29-20, 02:08 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You can't fix it by driving in one mode or another over time. It is always there to some degree. You just have to learn to anticipate the jerk shift and ease into the gas pedal with a one second delay at least. Or drive it like a stick shift and get it into a lower gear with the shifter. If you like to drive aggressively the EX 350 may not be the best choice. Do a test drive. Roll up to a stop sign but don't stop. Gun it quickly and then feel the jerk shift.
Old 09-29-20, 02:38 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
You can't fix it by driving in one mode or another over time. It is always there to some degree. You just have to learn to anticipate the jerk shift and ease into the gas pedal with a one second delay at least. Or drive it like a stick shift and get it into a lower gear with the shifter. If you like to drive aggressively the EX 350 may not be the best choice. Do a test drive. Roll up to a stop sign but don't stop. Gun it quickly and then feel the jerk shift.
i have come to the same conclusion. Overall, the Normal mode works best for me and I am learning how to modulate the throttle to minimize the jerk when accelerating from a rolling stop. It is still a conscious effort but much more natural as I get more experience with it. I have less than 400 miles on the car and expect I won’t even be thinking about this issue in a few months.
Old 09-29-20, 08:24 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I wanted no part of the potential replacement cost of the avs suspension so I specifically shopped for one sans the option.
This reminds me of my Dad!! He didn't like electric windows (or most other "gadgets") because "they're just something else to break". Then he bought a '63 Cadillac and never looked back. Still makes me smile! Thanks for reminding me!

I NEVER thought I would be satisfied driving in ECO mode, and it took months before I even tried it. Between the improvement with shifting and the fact that it will stay in ECO (as opposed to SPORT that needs to be put back every time you start the car, it's an acceptable solution to me. It doesn't fix the problem, just minimizes it. There is still an issue most noticeable when starting from a rolling stop (think about not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign). It was painful for me to use ECO when I started, but I got used to it in less than a week. It's all about throttle response, as the actual power/acceleration doesn't change that much (if at all). You just have to push the pedal a little further. Plus, then you have the added advantage of SPORT mode being even better when you use it! I love my ES! It does almost everything well except fun mountain driving. It's pretty much exactly what I expected in an ES. Every car has compromises, but I like most of the choices they made for this one. After years of changing cars every 2 or 3 years, I may be keeping this one a while.

Last edited by User 41924; 09-29-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-29-20, 10:14 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A lot of the jerkiness is going to depend on how you drive. If you have your foot into it like it's a sports car you will notice it. If you drive it like it's a luxury car you probably won't even notice it and you will get 35 miles to the gallon on the interstate.
The following 2 users liked this post by STLLEXUS:
dklanecky1 (09-30-20), kalel2127 (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 11:48 AM
tmoncmm
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I disagree with those who say "drive it like it's a luxury car" or something to that effect. You don't have to push it to notice the issues. Just drive pretty much any other car and you will immediately notice the sluggishness, hesitation from a rolling stop, hesitation while accelerating, delayed downshifting and uneven acceleration. My wife's 2017 highlander behaves infinitely better as well as an RX 350 and an NX 300 I got on loan from the dealer when they had to keep mine overnight. Also an IS 250 I test drove during my last service appointment. Oh... and the 2007 Camry I came from and my 2007 Corolla before that. You can't say "it takes time to learn your driving habits" either. I bought my 2020 ES 350 F Sport new in early June and now have a little over 11K (yes, you read that right 11,000) miles on it and still have the issues. I have tried ECO mode and it still has the problems I just listed. ECO just masks the problems by reducing the throttle responsiveness. Also just to remind everyone, someone posted a link to a TSB and survey from Lexus acknowledging these complaints. Lexus has noticed and is researching the issue so they're obviously not happy with it either. I just hope that they can figure out what's wrong and fix it so I can enjoy my otherwise awesome new car.
Old 09-29-20, 12:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by tmoncmm
I disagree with those who say "drive it like it's a luxury car" or something to that effect. You don't have to push it to notice the issues. Just drive pretty much any other car and you will immediately notice the sluggishness, hesitation from a rolling stop, hesitation while accelerating, delayed downshifting and uneven acceleration. My wife's 2017 highlander behaves infinitely better as well as an RX 350 and an NX 300 I got on loan from the dealer when they had to keep mine overnight. Also an IS 250 I test drove during my last service appointment. Oh... and the 2007 Camry I came from and my 2007 Corolla before that. You can't say "it takes time to learn your driving habits" either. I bought my 2020 ES 350 F Sport new in early June and now have a little over 11K (yes, you read that right 11,000) miles on it and still have the issues. I have tried ECO mode and it still has the problems I just listed. ECO just masks the problems by reducing the throttle responsiveness. Also just to remind everyone, someone posted a link to a TSB and survey from Lexus acknowledging these complaints. Lexus has noticed and is researching the issue so they're obviously not happy with it either. I just hope that they can figure out what's wrong and fix it so I can enjoy my otherwise awesome new car.
Our 2017 RX trans has its own quirks -different from the ES but any trans 8 speed and up will never be perfect. Too many darn gears.
Old 09-29-20, 01:00 PM
tmoncmm
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That I’ll agree with... 8 is too many gears for a car.
Old 09-29-20, 02:41 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Our 2017 RX trans has its own quirks -different from the ES but any trans 8 speed and up will never be perfect. Too many darn gears.
I understand everyone's frustration with, and aversion to, the 8-speed auto due to its quirks, but don't blame the number of gears. This is simply new technology that Toyota is still working out the bugs with. The core problem is likely a programming issue between the engine and tranny ECU's. I imagine Toyota is testing revised software as we speak, and they will be able to resolve it soon. If not, they'll lose customers, such as myself, who are in the market for a new ES.

It's beyond comprehension that Toyota released the revised ES with these problems. While it's the norm in the tech industry to get products to market first, and work the bugs out second, that certainly isn't the case with the automotive industry, or, shouldn't be. When I bought my new 5-speed manual, 1980 Corona, it had a problem with the clutch/drive-train. The car would jerk when releasing the clutch. I knew it wasn't me, because I had been driving manuals for 15 years, and my wife experienced the same jerkiness when she drove the car. I took it to the dealer to have them fix it under warranty. The Service Manager asked me to show him the problem, so we took a drive. I didn't even get out of the lot before shifting to second and producing the jerk. The SM said, "oh, well, you just don't know how to drive a stick." To which I didn't reply. I stopped, put it in reverse, and did a burn-out all the way back to the Service Department where I told him thanks for nothing, now get out of my car! Not what I would do now, but in my late twenties, the testosterone was doing the talking.
Old 10-04-20, 04:40 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone consider a buyback claim with corporate? The fact that the dealers are "taking in complaints from customers and ask them describe what's happening" seems like Lexus knows something up but hasn't hit the nail on the head just yet. How can drivers who experience this live with this for the duration of the lease or loan?
Old 10-05-20, 06:51 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don’t understand why some are having this issue and others are not, if it is programming.
Old 10-05-20, 09:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
I don’t understand why some are having this issue and others are not, if it is programming.
I suspect it's all. I have a 2020 loaner today and it's worse than my early 2019 FSport.
Old 10-05-20, 10:27 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Best approach for me so far is to use S gear when I am in slow stop/go situations. Manual shift gives me complete control and eliminates jerking. Seemed like extra work in the beginning but becomes natural quickly.

I believe jerking can be 100% eliminated by modifying software but not sure if Toyota can simultaneously eliminate jerking and meet CAFE standards.
Old 10-05-20, 11:06 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Manually shift a luxury vehicle... nope never going to happen!

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission