ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Jerky Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20, 11:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Yes no thanks on manual shifting. I'll borrow my son in law's M4 if I want to play with a stick.
Old 10-05-20, 12:09 PM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I suspect it's all. I have a 2020 loaner today and it's worse than my early 2019 FSport.
You could have a good point,mine is a early/mid 2019 and is very smooth for a 8 speed newer technology car.
Old 10-06-20, 01:59 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by STLLEXUS
I don’t understand why some are having this issue and others are not, if it is programming.
The reason is that if you drive it really gently like an old lady going to church on Sunday and do everything in slow motion, there is no problem at all. Totally Smooth. Sometimes my Brother drives my car, and he drives like this, just totally gentle on the gas pedal. My jerky transmission becomes smooth as glass. It is all about the drivers style.
Old 10-06-20, 02:08 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
The reason is that if you drive it really gently like an old lady going to church on Sunday and do everything in slow motion, there is no problem at all. Totally Smooth. Sometimes my Brother drives my car, and he drives like this, just totally gentle on the gas pedal. My jerky transmission becomes smooth as glass. It is all about the drivers style.
I believe this is 100% true. I understand how a couple of you feel about using S gear but for me, using S gear in slow stop/go situations is much less annoying than babying the throttle. I live in a 55+ community and have to drive slowly through 4 stop signs to get to main road. No one, including me, ever comes to complete stops so I keep her in S2-S4 until I get on main road. Much better for me. I bought this car outright with cash. Very sorry I didn’t lease it. My wife’s MDX is 10 years old...getting new rubber today. Will drive the X another 4 or 5 years then plan to ditch both cars (X and ES). I was planning to drive the ES until I take my dirt bath but I ain’t putting up with that effing jerking for the rest of my life.

Last edited by artbuc; 10-06-20 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-07-20, 04:21 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer had the car 8 days. Couldn't replicate the issue. Reset the "learning computer". As expected car runs a bit better. I guess that ends this threads for now... has anyone else brought this to there local dealers attention?
Old 10-07-20, 04:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Dealer had the car 8 days. Couldn't replicate the issue. Reset the "learning computer". As expected car runs a bit better. I guess that ends this threads for now... has anyone else brought this to there local dealers attention?
I wouldn't bother because I would merely expect the diagnosis to say "performing as designed". Annoying if you do lots of stop and go but really no issue crusing on highway.
Old 10-07-20, 06:03 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother because I would merely expect the diagnosis to say "performing as designed". Annoying if you do lots of stop and go but really no issue crusing on highway.
Couldn't agree more. Highway is fine
Old 10-10-20, 03:22 AM
rmak
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Do not expect a fix anytime soon. This is why I am still driving a 6 speed 2016. Toyota has been working on this since the 8 speed was introduced in the new Camry/ES350 etc. IMHO the jerking comes from the torque band that the engine operates in combined with the number of gears. The sluggish feel (lack of power/torque) is a product of the engine and rpm output combined with the transmission gear ratio.. Go take a drive in a Mustang GT or Camaro SS with a 10 speed. The power delivery and gear ratio make a huge difference.

Even the GS 350 has had an 8 speed trans for many years and nowhere near the reported issues.

If Toyota would change the gear ratios and add more lower rpm torque things may change. You should see the complaints on the Camry site.

Complaints and service calls will get attention, but normally corporate will do nothing until sales drop.

The Toyota Tundra with the famous Camshaft tower oil leak (basically all Toyota 5.7 engines) is a perfect example of corporate not addressing a huge design flaw. 82 pages since 2018. Leaks have been reported as far back as 2008 (Land Cruiser) https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-...se-read.20102/

I love Toyota/Lexus, but I did not buy a 2019 Tundra (still driving my 05 Z71) and I did not buy a 2019 ES350 Fsport (bought a 2016) due to these reasons.

Hoping to get a new ES 350 soon. I know they have the capability to make this transmission shift better.
Old 10-12-20, 08:29 AM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly glad I stopped by to read up on the newer models. My 2010 has just over 100,000 miles on it and runs just as well as ever. With wait on a newer one til the transmission problem is fixed.
Old 10-12-20, 09:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimmy2x
Certainly glad I stopped by to read up on the newer models. My 2010 has just over 100,000 miles on it and runs just as well as ever. With wait on a newer one til the transmission problem is fixed.
Unlikely there's anything to fix. The eight, nine and ten speed trannys all have many more gears to move through. Keep your 2010 as it will last a long time and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one
Old 10-12-20, 01:04 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Unlikely there's anything to fix. The eight, nine and ten speed trannys all have many more gears to move through. Keep your 2010 as it will last a long time and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one
Like Jimmy2x, I'm in the same boat wanting to replace my wife's 2011 ES. I'm anxious to get a hold of all the new safety tech and better gas mileage in the current gen ES.

I still have faith Toyota can fix the 8 speed auto, and if not, redesign it for any upcoming refresh. In the mean time, Toyota needs to put on their big-boy pants, step to the plate, and take care of their loyal customers who purchased the not-ready-for-prime-time tranny!

It's reported the problem occurs when de-accelerating to a few miles per hour, then stepping on the gas to accelerate again. This is not caused by the number of gears, as the lowest gear ratio is the same in both the 6-speed and 8-speed autos. It is more likely due to the redesign of the lock-up clutch function (designed for "direct response driving"), or, the high performance compact torque converter (designed for improved mileage). Either of these, or the combination of the two, may be responsible for the jerking.

The issue may possibly be addressed by altering the ECU drive-by-wire throttle programming or the TCU programming to fine tune the operation of the solenoids which control the operation of the transmission. It's also possible programming could compensate for any issues the redesigned lock-up clutch or torque converter are causing.

If Toyota cannot resolve their shifting issues in the 8-speed, they will need to go back to the drawing board and start over. I'm afraid they have soiled their reputation again because of this, and are losing customers as we speak. Hopefully they'll learn a lesson from this and do better in the long run when unleashing new technology.
Old 10-14-20, 05:27 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find that my 2020 ES is not jerky in Eco mode but is in normal and sport mode.
Old 10-14-20, 05:53 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Any fans of the Jerky Boys? 😎
Old 10-15-20, 02:38 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Quick update. I have tried every possible combo. Each time I thought the change cured the problem but quickly discovered it did not. Finally I went back to Normal mode driving in D as Lexus intended for most drivers. Slowly but surely I adjusted my driving style (more specifically how I modulated accelerator). It took a lot of concentration and was a real PITA but slowly, almost imperceptibly, it required less conscious effort. Yesterday, for the first time, I realized I was enjoying the way the car drove and wasn’t even thinking about my accelerator control. I have read several posts over on ToyotaNation where people said the ECU adapts to individual driving styles. I am not sure about that. I think it is more likely that people adapt to the car.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 05:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
Quick update. I have tried every possible combo. Each time I thought the change cured the problem but quickly discovered it did not. Finally I went back to Normal mode driving in D as Lexus intended for most drivers. Slowly but surely I adjusted my driving style (more specifically how I modulated accelerator). It took a lot of concentration and was a real PITA but slowly, almost imperceptibly, it required less conscious effort. Yesterday, for the first time, I realized I was enjoying the way the car drove and wasn’t even thinking about my accelerator control. I have read several posts over on ToyotaNation where people said the ECU adapts to individual driving styles. I am not sure about that. I think it is more likely that people adapt to the car.
The Jerky Boys had suggested this approach might work. Well done I'm staying in SPORT mode regardless.

Quick Reply: Jerky Transmission