ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 01:03 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

What things are starting to annoy you Mike?
Old 09-28-20, 02:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
What things are starting to annoy you Mike?
I think I'm beginning to notice more things as I read threads here. The jerky trans has become more noticeable to me even though it's been that way since day one. The front end vibration hopefully is only something minor but still quite annoying every day I drive. And now I begin to experience some shudder from hard braking which I suspect has to do with the front rotors. I can be totally satisfied with a Hyundai Elantra but I bought this after loving it at first sight and knowing my wife's RX has been trouble free for nearly 50k miles. So after spending nearly $50k, I guess I'm a bit bummed I'm running into these unpleasantries before the car's second anniversary. Oh well, lets see what the dealer says on Saturday🤔
Old 09-28-20, 03:57 PM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

On top of the brake issue, I have also noticed other items that are a bit of a fuss:
  • excessive wind noise from the driver side window (above 65mph)
  • noise from the dashboard (above the gauge cluster)
  • flimsy visor when extended
  • front and rear suspension noise
  • windshield wipers only lasted 3 months
  • material used on passenger side dashboard
  • Sound of closing doors (I fixed by adding sound-deadening material)
  • and transmission as Mike mentioned
That's just off the top of my head
Old 09-28-20, 05:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalel2127
On top of the brake issue, I have also noticed other items that are a bit of a fuss:
The question is what is a reliable comparative alernative to the ES given so few sedan choices these days. I know you mentioned the new TLX and I agree that car is sharp inside and out but Acura reliability??
Old 09-28-20, 07:17 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Having similar issues. I had my driver door fixed. SA stated there were no clips holding the panel together in certain areas..

I'm about to get a lawyer and lemon law this car. I wonder how far I would get?
Old 09-28-20, 07:20 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Brake squeal is an easy fix. The mechanic needs to clean the pads/shims and re-grease the shims.

For front end shake while braking, the rotors need to be turned or replaced.
Old 09-28-20, 07:26 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Brake squeal is an easy fix. The mechanic needs to clean the pads/shims and re-grease the shims.

Squeal is the least of issues here. Jerky transmission is very annoying. I wonder how a 13 month old car with 12,000 miles on it needs rotors resurfaced.
Old 09-28-20, 08:27 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Squeal is the least of issues here. Jerky transmission is very annoying. I wonder how a 13 month old car with 12,000 miles on it needs rotors resurfaced.
OK, I was simply responding to your initial thread. Sounds like you have a worse problem...buyer's remorse! I understand your frustration, but don't be too quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Work with your dealer, one problem at a time. If the dealer gives up on a particular problem, run it up the flag pole. You are correct, a 13 month old Lexus shouldn't be having these problems.

My wife's 5th gen ES is going on 10 years with zero problems. We are considering upgrading to a new 2020 ES, and that's why I'm perusing the 7th gen forum. Generally on Club Lexus, I'm seeing a lot of angst about the direction Lexus has been heading lately, and their quality reputation seems to be slipping. I'll definitely be cross shopping the Genisis G80, and posts like yours may influence me toward not buying a new ES.
Old 09-28-20, 08:47 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

OK, I was simply responding to your initial thread. Sounds like you have a worse problem...buyer's remorse! I understand your frustration, but don't be too quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Work with your dealer, one problem at a time. If the dealer gives up on a particular problem, run it up the flag pole. You are correct, a 13 month old Lexus shouldn't be having these problems.

My wife's 5th gen ES is going on 10 years with zero problems. We are considering upgrading to a new 2020 ES, and that's why I'm perusing the 7th gen forum. Generally on Club Lexus, I'm seeing a lot of angst about the direction Lexus has been heading lately, and their quality reputation seems to be slipping. I'll definitely be cross shopping the Genisis G80, and posts like yours may influence me toward not buying a new ES.
Excuse my tone, I'm just frustrated. From what I read it's not only me (which is nice). I have a 2012 is250c. It has no issues other than replacing worn out parts like wipers, brakes, oil, etc. car runs better then my ES.

I would wait a bit. To many people here have the same common problems.
Old 09-29-20, 02:51 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
One thing for sure, whatever caused you rotor issue is not a fundamental design problem which will cause a long term issue. Could be driving habit, stuck caliper pin, bad rotor, etc. Should be a very easy fix...DIY stuff. Certainly not a reason to ditch the car. Some of the other problems mentioned in this thread are also minor superficial stuff. Believe me, it you bought a VW, BMW, MB C-class, Acura or Hyundai/Genesis, your complaint list would be much longer and much more serious. Lexus quality ain’t what it used to be but it is still the best game in town. I am much more focused on the quality of the V6, especially timing chain reliability and fuel injection design, transmission, paint, etc. If you can not stand the shift point programming required to meet ridiculous CAFE requirements, get yourself a CVT and see how you like it. Or get yourself a nice little 4 banger turbo DI model but don’t be surprised when you shell out $700 for your first carbon removal service at 40k miles.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 08:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

No way rotors should go bad this quickly. I drive easy and very little stop and go.
Old 09-29-20, 09:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
No way rotors should go bad this quickly. I drive easy and very little stop and go.
Rotors on modern Honda, Toyota and Subaru vehicles have become a weak point. Had to replace front rotors on niece’s TSX, friend’s Outback and wife’s MDX way earlier than expected. Worst thing you can do is resurface rotors which makes them thinner and they will fail sooner than originals. Quality aftermarket rotors are dirt cheap. I like Centric Premiums. Put them on and no more rotor issues. Make sure pad ears and slide pins are properly lubed. Again, premature rotor issues can be corrected easily and permanently. Just because the schmuck technicians at the dealership can not or will not fix the problem is not a reflection on the car.
Old 09-29-20, 11:31 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The question is what is a reliable comparative alernative to the ES given so few sedan choices these days. I know you mentioned the new TLX and I agree that car is sharp inside and out but Acura reliability??

Reliability is not high on my list since I only lease my vehicles between 2-3 years.

The ES F-sport is the only one that stood out from the number of vehicles I was debating on purchasing. My neighborhood is largely compiled of BMW, Benz, Audi, and Tesla owners. Then take into account the fact that I'm not a big fan of SUV's or crossovers and need a sedan since I take my kids to school. After deciding not to purchase a German or a Tesla vehicle the remaining options were few. In the end, as I have said before I don't regret my purchase and I know it will be difficult to let her go in 2022.
Old 09-29-20, 02:56 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Rotors on modern Honda, Toyota and Subaru vehicles have become a weak point. Had to replace front rotors on niece’s TSX, friend’s Outback and wife’s MDX way earlier than expected.
Agreed! There seems to be an epidemic of warped rotors out there. Maybe the engineers are specifying less-beefy rotors to reduce both un-sprung weight, for handling improvements, and general weight for improved mileage.
Worst thing you can do is resurface rotors which makes them thinner and they will fail sooner than originals.
I wouldn't resurface stock rotors that are warped, I would replace them with aftermarket. However, generally, resurfacing non-warped rotors during any brake job is a "best-practice" to ensure proper bedding of the new pads. Not resurfacing can lead to uneven bedding, which can lead to...warped rotors.
Old 09-29-20, 07:28 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Update: car went in. The service manager came to speak to me about the document I brought in (some pdf I found on this forum about transmission issue). He wasn't happy to say the least. Says this is how the car was designed but some feel differently. He's going to live with the car for a few days and see. Aka nothings going to change.

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking