ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 05:24 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 770 Likes on 664 Posts

You can warp rotors from too much heat from hard driving and then hitting a water filled pothole, or washing the car right after driving it. The hot and cold changes distorts the metal rotors. Ever wash your car and see steam coming off the brake rotors? Thats actually a bad thing for them.

Sometimes after hard braking they fix themselves after time, but if its to the point that it annoys you can have them just resurfaced, no need to replace the pads.
Old 09-30-20, 12:14 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You can warp rotors from too much heat from hard driving and then hitting a water filled pothole, or washing the car right after driving it. The hot and cold changes distorts the metal rotors. Ever wash your car and see steam coming off the brake rotors? Thats actually a bad thing for them.

Sometimes after hard braking they fix themselves after time, but if its to the point that it annoys you can have them just resurfaced, no need to replace the pads.
An article on mechanics.com explaining the warped rotor phenomenon, doesn't lend credence to your perspective:

https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/sol...d-brake-rotors

Personally, I would not replace or resurface rotors without replacing the pads, but that's just me. The initial bedding of the pads to the rotors after a brake job is critical to the long-term performance and reliability of the brakes.
Old 10-01-20, 11:26 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: no update from dealer. Praying december to remember is a good one this year. I'm In a 2020 rx and is not jerking at all As compared to my car.
Old 10-02-20, 02:45 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
An article on mechanics.com explaining the warped rotor phenomenon, doesn't lend credence to your perspective:

https://www.mechanic.com.au/news/sol...d-brake-rotors

Personally, I would not replace or resurface rotors without replacing the pads, but that's just me. The initial bedding of the pads to the rotors after a brake job is critical to the long-term performance and reliability of the brakes.
Lost track of how many brake jobs I have done over the decades. All combinations - new pads with old rotors, new rotors with old pads, new pads and rotors, bedding per Stoptech procedures and no bedding. Never made a spit of difference. Cleaning/lubing slide pins and backing plate ears does make a huge difference. Only use silicone based lube on the slide pins. No Permatex garbage which dries out and freezes the slide pins. Resurfacing rotors is a total waste of money if you are DIY capable. Buy new quality aftermarket rotors instead.
Old 10-02-20, 09:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Lost track of how many brake jobs I have done over the decades. All combinations - new pads with old rotors, new rotors with old pads, new pads and rotors, bedding per Stoptech procedures and no bedding. Never made a spit of difference. Cleaning/lubing slide pins and backing plate ears does make a huge difference. Only use silicone based lube on the slide pins. No Permatex garbage which dries out and freezes the slide pins. Resurfacing rotors is a total waste of money if you are DIY capable. Buy new quality aftermarket rotors instead.
I'll give you a ring next time I need brakes
Old 10-02-20, 12:01 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Resurfacing rotors is a total waste of money if you are DIY capable. Buy new quality aftermarket rotors instead.
If one is resurfacing NON-warped rotors for $15/ea vs buying quality new for $40/ea, how is this a waste of money? Again, I would not resurface warped rotors--would only replace.

Are you saying you would not resurface rotors that aren't warped, when the pads need replacing? Sure, this will work, but it's not a best-practice for a top-notch brake job. One can save money by economizing on any maintenance job, but for brakes, I don't recommend it.
Old 10-02-20, 04:01 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Dealer is still "looking into jerking transmission". Brakes were "fixed" no explanation as to what was done.
Old 10-03-20, 06:13 AM
artbuc
Instructor

If one is resurfacing NON-warped rotors for $15/ea vs buying quality new for $40/ea, how is this a waste of money? Again, I would not resurface warped rotors--would only replace.

Are you saying you would not resurface rotors that aren't warped, when the pads need replacing? Sure, this will work, but it's not a best-practice for a top-notch brake job. One can save money by economizing on any maintenance job, but for brakes, I don't recommend it.
Making the rotors thinner can dramatically shorten their life, ie when they warp. Modern rotors have no meat to spare. Resurfacing is simply not necessary to remove pad deposits or true the surface. The new pads will quickly confirm to the unresurfaced rotor. Resurfacing rotors is a dealership cash cow similar to engine and transmission flushes. But hey, if you think it helps, go for it...not my money.
Old 10-04-20, 04:38 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Making the rotors thinner can dramatically shorten their life, ie when they warp. Modern rotors have no meat to spare. Resurfacing is simply not necessary to remove pad deposits or true the surface. The new pads will quickly confirm to the unresurfaced rotor. Resurfacing rotors is a dealership cash cow similar to engine and transmission flushes. But hey, if you think it helps, go for it...not my money.
Work done under warranty. Not sure what the outcome was have to see. I highly doubt they changed the rotors completely.
Old 10-05-20, 11:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Work done under warranty. Not sure what the outcome was have to see. I highly doubt they changed the rotors completely.
They resurfaced them no doubt.
Old 10-05-20, 12:34 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

We will have to agree to disagree on all of your points except one. I agree the new pads will quickly conform to un-resurfaced rotors, and I have done brake jobs this way in my youth in order to save money. However, it's not a best-practice, and having the pads conform to the new rotors is not a good thing, and exactly what should be avoided. Ideally, the pads and resurfaced rotors bed together, without either conforming to the other. But hey, if you think it doesn't help...not my life.

I don't agree with everything dealerships and indy shops do, but one shouldn't categorically distrust all of their best-practices, just because they are in business to turn a profit. In this case, they might even make less money on brake jobs in the long run, if they are performing them in a manner that extends the life of the brakes.

I particularly disagree with your contention that resurfacing rotors dramatically shortens their lives. If the rotors are thick enough to be within spec for allowing resurfacing, then resurfacing can actually extend their lives. When new pads are properly bedded to resurfaced or new rotors, the rotors are less likely to warp. As detailed in the link I provided earlier, there are many reasons for rotors warping, but resurfacing wasn't one of them.
Old 10-05-20, 06:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Im having some front end vibration issues as well - at high speed and also when braking from high speed. Appt next week at the dealer. Already had all four wheels balanced but no change.
Well I guess all balancing isn't alike as I learned. Dealer did "road force balance and matching" on all four wheels and man what a difference. Bye bye vibration. Thank you Prestige Lexus.
Old 10-06-20, 03:18 AM
artbuc
Instructor

... If the rotors are thick enough to be within spec for allowing resurfacing, then resurfacing can actually extend their lives.
That is the rub. My experience is limited to Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and Subaru. Modern rotors are thinned close to minimum to reduce weight. Their expected life is matched closely to the pads. You can reasonably expect to get 50-70k out of each component. When the pads wear out, you are certainly close to the end of the rotor. Yes, having a fresh perfectly flat rotor surface is ideal. But, after 50-70k miles, you will be close to or below minimum thickness and/or likely to have cracks, rust or hard spots which will reappear shortly after resurfacing. Of course, finding a shop or dealership which will remove a bare minimum of material is another story all together. Not sure where you found a shop today that resurfaces for $20...that sounds like a price from 1970. Chances of the resurfaced rotors lasting the life of your new pads is slim to none.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 09:56 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Not sure where you found a shop today that resurfaces for $20...that sounds like a price from 1970. Chances of the resurfaced rotors lasting the life of your new pads is slim to none.
It's all about mathematics. If rotors are thick enough to resurface, do so. If not, buy quality aftermarket. I resurfaced my Tundra rotors at 60k and they are still going strong at 117K. The independent shop who turned them for me charge $15 each. I don't remember the year I did the work (approx 2010). They can't charge much more than $20 these days, or everyone would just buy new. When you pull the rotors and bring them in for resurfacing, it only takes a shop 5-10 minutes per rotor. So, they can easily make money providing this service. Maybe California is easier on rotors than most states, as I haven't seen anything more than surface rust here. If my rotors showed any signs of degradation from "hard spots" or cracking, I wouldn't hesitate to replace them. I doubt this would only show after turning.

I'm glad we can voice our differences of opinions without angst. That isn't always the case in these forums.
Old 10-07-20, 04:19 PM
Haddaway91
Driver

Final update (for now) car runs smooth again. Rotors were resurfaced. Pads were not replaced.

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking