ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Shaking when braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 05:00 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Haddaway91
Final update (for now) car runs smooth again. Rotors were resurfaced. Pads were not replaced.
Good to hear but now you're guaranteed the rotors will need to be replaced when the pads wear down.
Old 10-08-20, 02:55 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Well I guess all balancing isn't alike as I learned. Dealer did "road force balance and matching" on all four wheels and man what a difference. Bye bye vibration. Thank you Prestige Lexus.
I'm not a fan of road force balancing for curing wheel/tire vibration issues. It works, but the next time you rotate your tires you will need another road force balance. In fact, even getting a flat repaired could result in bringing back your vibration if the tech doesn't get the tire clocked back on the wheel in the same place, or, doesn't get the wheel back on the hub in the same place. Marking the tire, wheel and hub to get everything back in the same orientation could avoid the issue to some degree, but typically, they re-balance after fixing a flat, so unless they road force balance it again, you may get your vibration back.

A better alternative is to have your tire/wheel shop figure out which tire or wheel is causing the problem, and then replacing or truing the wheel if it is the problem, or replacing the tire if it is the issue. When one has a wheel/tire vibration, it is usually caused by one of the four tires, or one of the four wheels.

I fear that road force balancing simply masks the root cause of vibration issues. I rotate my tires at every oil change, so road force balancing doesn't work for me. Too, I don't mind not spending the extra money for it vs conventional balancing.
Old 10-08-20, 03:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I'm not a fan of road force balancing for curing wheel/tire vibration issues. It works, but the next time you rotate your tires you will need another road force balance. In fact, even getting a flat repaired could result in bringing back your vibration if the tech doesn't get the tire clocked back on the wheel in the same place, or, doesn't get the wheel back on the hub in the same place. Marking the tire, wheel and hub to get everything back in the same orientation could avoid the issue to some degree, but typically, they re-balance after fixing a flat, so unless they road force balance it again, you may get your vibration back.

A better alternative is to have your tire/wheel shop figure out which tire or wheel is causing the problem, and then replacing or truing the wheel if it is the problem, or replacing the tire if it is the issue. When one has a wheel/tire vibration, it is usually caused by one of the four tires, or one of the four wheels.

I fear that road force balancing simply masks the root cause of vibration issues. I rotate my tires at every oil change, so road force balancing doesn't work for me. Too, I don't mind not spending the extra money for it vs conventional balancing.
Well lets see - $60 to road force balance all four wheels or perhaps $500 - $1,000 to replace the wheel if its that? I'll take my chances for $60😋 The low profile tires on the FSport are much more sensitive to road feel as you probably know. The ride is perfect now.
Old 10-08-20, 04:14 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Well lets see - $60 to road force balance all four wheels or perhaps $500 - $1,000 to replace the wheel if its that? I'll take my chances for $60😋 The low profile tires on the FSport are much more sensitive to road feel as you probably know. The ride is perfect now.
It's not that black and white...$60 vs $1,000. If a new tire is causing a vibration, the tire shop should replace it for free. If a new wheel has an issue, it should be replaced under warranty. Tire shops/dealers prefer to sell road force balancing as it gets you on the road and out of their hair. It isn't easy isolating a wheel/tire vibration issue, so they prefer not to.

Road force balancing can cure a wheel or tire issue, but it won't fix it. If you get to the bottom of the issue without masking it, you can avoid future problems when you get a flat, rotate your tires, or replace your tires. If you accept the road force fix, you may be kicking the can down the road when your new wheels or tires are out of warranty. Thus, you could actually save $ in the long run by not going the road force route.

If you are dealing with a new vibration on older, all ready out-of-warranty, wheels or tires, it may be due to a wheel being damaged by a pothole, curb, or such. In that case, I would have the wheel trued for reasonable fee.

I'm not telling you what you should and shouldn't do, I'm just sharing ideas for those who might care to consider them.
Old 10-10-20, 12:40 AM
Haddaway91
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear but now you're guaranteed the rotors will need to be replaced when the pads wear down.
Like you said- thank you Prestiege Lexus of Ramsey. Much better then tri-county.