ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Water streaks/condensation in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 12:02 PM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
These will only get worse and eventually cease to illuminate. They need to be replaced and they're slinging BS at you and hoping it will stick... I'm not sure if this can be incorporated into a lemon law violation due to safety i.e. insufficient light at night, but I'd investigate all options including notifying NHTSA if possible. What a bunch of crap. Shame on Lexus...
Cosmetic issue my a$$...
Thanks for the info. I will notify NHTSA.
Old 09-25-20, 12:03 PM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ionian2k
Is there a paint protection film on the headlight??
yes there is.
Old 09-25-20, 12:14 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

hard to tell from the pic but are the stains above the film or underneath it? Looks bad in the pic.
Old 09-25-20, 12:24 PM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

hard to tell from the pic but are the stains above the film or underneath it? Looks bad in the pic.
it’s underneath 100%. Initially I contacted the guy who did my clear bra and he told me it was underneath so then I called Lexus and went to the dealer and they confirmed that it was inside of the headlight.
Old 09-26-20, 09:21 AM
tike71
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Water intrusion in both headlights? That sounds very unlikely. BTW underneath the film could mean that the water spots are between the film and the headlight surface. Have you personally verified?
Old 09-26-20, 05:57 PM
ionian
Instructor

My thought exactly. Maybe a bad pic but it looks the installer did a bad job. Hopefully you didn't paid top dollars.
Old 09-26-20, 06:08 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

I wonder if the front end was previously damaged and repaired... Where did the 700 miles come from if the car was brand new?
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 05:34 PM
mikeraj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have PPF over my headlights and do see some slight water streaks and particles as well. I am pretty sure that in my case, the streaks and particles are trapped between the PPF and the headlight.
Old 09-30-20, 06:21 PM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikeraj
I have PPF over my headlights and do see some slight water streaks and particles as well. I am pretty sure that in my case, the streaks and particles are trapped between the PPF and the headlight.
CAn you show some pics?
Old 09-30-20, 09:53 PM
mikeraj
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ire83
CAn you show some pics?
Hi Ire83, looks like I have to take back what I said earlier. I used a macro lens with manual focus and I do see some flow marks on the inner surface of the head lamps. It is definitely not at the interface between the PPF and the lamps. However, I had to use a bright external light source to shine on the lamp at almost perpendicular angle to the lamp surface before the flow marks could be seen. Under normal outdoor lighting, it is pretty vague. I am not sure if it is some kind of coating (anti-fogging?) on the inner surface of the head, and perhaps the coating was running during application in production. In the photos, the tiny specks of particles are from the PPF interface, but the flow marks are definitely from the inner surface of the lamp. I'll probably send a note to my local Lexus for comments.
BTW, you can use your mobile phone light to observe the flow marks, but its hard to take a photo because of the autofocus.

lamps.

Last edited by mikeraj; 10-01-20 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-01-20, 05:25 AM
ionian
Instructor

Is your car made in Japan or Kentucky?
Old 10-01-20, 05:45 AM
mikeraj
Rookie

Is your car made in Japan or Kentucky?
Mine came from Japan. It is possible that all the headlamp assemblies come from Japan, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-03-20, 04:43 AM
mikeraj
Rookie

Just a quick update. I went to the Lexus distributor today and it is confirmed that the same "flow marks" are also present in the headlights of other Lexus ESs in the showroom. It is interesting that the headlights of the UX, NX and RX did not have these flow marks. The claims departments will come back to me in a couple weeks time. Even if they can claim the headlights, I would probably not change them because it is really very vague and not visible under normal conditions. Besides, having to dismantle the whole bumper to change the lights, and later reassemble again might result in some misalignment. Only concern if the flow marks would worsen with time. So, let's see. Could always change them out just before the end of the warranty period, before selling or trade-in, to get the 8th gen ES ;-)

BTW, the headlights are manufactured by Koito, Japan, where all the Lexus headlight technology come from.
Old 10-04-20, 07:09 AM
Ire83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikeraj
Just a quick update. I went to the Lexus distributor today and it is confirmed that the same "flow marks" are also present in the headlights of other Lexus ESs in the showroom. It is interesting that the headlights of the UX, NX and RX did not have these flow marks. The claims departments will come back to me in a couple weeks time. Even if they can claim the headlights, I would probably not change them because it is really very vague and not visible under normal conditions. Besides, having to dismantle the whole bumper to change the lights, and later reassemble again might result in some misalignment. Only concern if the flow marks would worsen with time. So, let's see. Could always change them out just before the end of the warranty period, before selling or trade-in, to get the 8th gen ES ;-)

BTW, the headlights are manufactured by Koito, Japan, where all the Lexus headlight technology come from.
Thanks for the update! I’ll probably just leave the issue along if it’s a common thing. I’m just curious to see if they’re willing to replace yours though.
Old 10-04-20, 07:19 AM
mikeraj
Rookie

I'll let you know. I am curious to find out what type of coating this is, but could not find any info from Koito's website.

Quick Reply: Water streaks/condensation in headlights