ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Water streaks/condensation in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 08:01 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by july1988
What is the warranty terms on our ES, I have no idea?

I want to look at extended warranty options, too many electronic stuff, you can't DIYmuch any more, I feel like car might die all of the sudden and whatever the dealer tell you you have to take it...
Lexus platinum protection - https://www.lexusofannarbor.com/asse...-eBrochure.pdf
Old 11-15-21, 11:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

I want to look at extended warranty options, too many electronic stuff, you can't DIYmuch any more, I feel like car might die all of the sudden and whatever the dealer tell you you have to take it...
4/50 b2b, 6/70 power train.
Old 11-15-21, 01:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

There are numerous posts regarding the purchase of an extended warranty. The great majority of them negative. Most are in the $2500. to $3500.00 range. Exorbitant IMO and a waste of money... Seems the seller always figures out a way not to cover the issue. The best way to prepare for an unexpected situation with your car is to set aside an amount of money each time you get a check/paid. If nothing goes wrong after awhile, take a nice trip with your significant other and enjoy.
Old 01-20-23, 02:34 PM
FSportStar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water streak inside headlight

Originally Posted by Ire83
Hi all,

I bought a new 19 model ES 350 F Sport, even though it had 715 miles on it when I bought it. I discovered that the headlights had water streaks inside of the headlights, and immediately called Lexus. (this was 4 days after discovering it and I only had 900 miles on it) They told me to bring it into a dealership for further review. Fast forward almost two months later, they told me that it's only a cosmetic issue and they will not replace the headlights. The headlights look terrible with the water streaks inside both of them, and they aren't willing to do anything about it. They told me its up to the general managers discretion at the Lexus dealership I brought it to. Anybody have any experience with this and is there anything more I can do??
I have the same problem with my 2019 es350 Fsport. The best you can do is find a mechanic thats willing to seal it with silicone. Otherwise

youll have to buy a new one at the insane price. My mechanic did it for me and lasted a year. But Im an Uber driver so it may last a normal driving car alot longer. The car was sold to me pre certified with that issue at Lexus of Manhattan.
Old 01-20-23, 02:52 PM
chrisdabos
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Update. After a hand wash my passenger headlamp is having that issue. Tbh I plan on waiting for the driver side to act up to just file a claim under my comprehensive
Old 01-20-23, 03:09 PM
FSportStar
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish you luck

They'll say it's cosmetic. I hope they'll cover it.
the headlights are over $1600 each.
It just appears to be a design flaw by Lexus.
Old 01-21-23, 08:22 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportStar
They'll say it's cosmetic. I hope they'll cover it.
the headlights are over $1600 each.
It just appears to be a design flaw by Lexus.
I would say it is a flaw with plastic headlights. I cannot believe this is exclusive to Lexus, but since I don't follow other forums or have any specific information, that is just my humble opinion. The plastic headlights are multiple pieces of plastic bonded together. It is easy to see how that seal could fail at some point - especially with the rough roads some of us have to endure.

It may be worth reporting it to your dealer at the next visit. I had this problem on my 2004 RX. It was about 7 years old and only had something like 18K miles on it. The dealer has a procedure where they can request some sort of courtesy repair from Lexus corporate, even if the vehicle is past warranty. They did a variation of one of these repairs for me. If I remember correctly, they sold me the part at dealer cost and covered the labor. This seemed like a reasonable compromise to me - especially considering the age of the vehicle. To be fair, the dealer had room to argue that it shouldn't have occurred with such low mileage, so it may not always work, but it may be worth a shot? If
Old 01-22-23, 11:22 AM
bullnobull
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW Easy fix. I had a 1992 SC400 with the same problem in both lights. It was way out of warranty. I was able to use an electric tire pump with the Football adapter to dry it out. I drilled two small holes (top and anywhere else) in the plastic light cover away from the light itself. where hole was not exposed to view. Parked in sun to add heat. Inserted valve into light assembly and turned on. After about 2 hours it was dried up. Then I removed valve and covered holes with clear silicon. Lasted for 5 years until I sold it.