ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

possible dead battery in NEW 2020 ES 350??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 03:49 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FranCM
I am having the same problem! Brand new 2020 Es purchased in November 2020. This has happen 3 times always on a Monday morning, dead battery when the car hasn't been driven since Friday evening. 1st time I figured I may have left something on. 2nd time exactly a week later again on Monday morning. This time I insisted Lexus come change the battery, they did. All was well for about 1 month then yesterday good ole Monday again, dead battery! The service manager of course asking if I left a light on, fey fob too close to car. None of the above. Still waiting for follow up. It is a little unsettling to spend this much money on a car having these issues and feeling like they are not taking this seriously.
Check the overhead "emergency call Lexus" button (I can't remember it's official name right now). You should see a green light when the ignition is on after starting the engine (it might take a minute or two). If it's red, it is not functioning, and my dealer said that could have created a drain on the battery. I believe there is a TSB from Lexus on this problem. My dealer updated the software and I haven't had a battery problem since. Ask your service rep to check on it. If that isn't the issue, get the dealer to keep the car for a weekend and then they can check the battery on a Monday morning for a drainage problem. Good luck.
Old 02-05-21, 07:24 AM
MKssper57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues

Same issues , car sits over the weekend and didn’t start this past weekend. Took it in to dealer , they said battery was fine . Funny thing , when purchased the car it sat for in the garage for two weeks and it started just fine . I think that it is just a bunch of crap . Never had any issues with any other make of vehicles ( Ford, Dodge , Acura) . Hate to be returning car to dealership or going back to Acura . Do like the car !
Old 02-05-21, 08:05 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MKssper57
Same issues , car sits over the weekend and didn’t start this past weekend. Took it in to dealer , they said battery was fine . Funny thing , when purchased the car it sat for in the garage for two weeks and it started just fine . I think that it is just a bunch of crap . Never had any issues with any other make of vehicles ( Ford, Dodge , Acura) . Hate to be returning car to dealership or going back to Acura . Do like the car !
It is my understanding that once a conventional lead-acid battery (unlike an AGM) has run down it is never quite the same and so I would replace these earlier even if starting appears to be fine. These aren't designed for deep discharge. It is also good practice to use a trickle charger/maintainer unless the cars are being used frequently. And for peace of mind, I carry a lithium battery jump starter in my car since even newer batteries appear to sometimes give starting problems. These jump starters are so much more convenient to use than battery cables.
Old 02-06-21, 06:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I've never had an issue with any of my previous cars, mostly Toyota's, Honda's and Lexus with batteries. The earliest i replaced one was 7 years.
Had issues with couple of Chevys having to replace battery one a year.

Now, none of them had the continuous communications through cell phone connection and on-board communication device where a computer is regularly communicating with the server. I wonder how much this system is contributing to this battery issue.
Old 02-06-21, 04:02 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always been suspicious of those cars that were on the showroom floor. People get in and out of them all day long, move the seats back and forth and operate what ever they can. Sure, the dealer puts them on a battery tender every night and removes it every morning - sure they do. Truth is they just run the battery dead and leave it. Then someone buys the car, they charge it up, the battery works for a while, but after a few months when you don't use the car and rely on the reserve you find it isn't there. I have got to believe a lot of these battery issues are created on showroom floors.
Old 02-09-21, 03:58 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Even new batteries can "sulfate" when abused. The most common abuse is being left in a discharged state for a period of time. As someone mentioned above, this is not uncommon with new vehicles that sit a lot between the time the battery goes in, and the time the vehicle is put into service.

Covid stat-at-home orders have exacerbated battery issues as vehicles are sitting way more than usual.
Old 03-01-21, 03:40 PM
bvshearz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead battery also ??

Originally Posted by tomli777
so it turns out the battery was dead, but not from anything I did. The dealership told me the ES had a software update they had to do, because what was happening to new ES was that when you turned off the car, it still wouldn't completely shut down (I believe the EC?) and that would drain the battery. they said they had four cases of that just this week.
As glad as I am that this is hopefully fixed, it made me feel unsettled that this happened to a brand new Lexus. I called Lexus customer service (I think it's called vehicle experience or something) and the lady was extremely unhelpful and pretty rude. Her exact words were "well...you would have found out about the need about the software update if someone contacted you or in this case...if you car won't start. that's on the customer to figure out" I was shocked at this and asked for a case manager to talk to. hopefully they reach out next week and I have better luck.
So..I see your post was from October of last year... did the new battery and the software update take care of your problem?? Any problems since??
I am asking because ....today we had the same issue. We've only owned the car for a week..It's a 2020 ES 350 F Sport..12 thousand miles....so...naturally ..my wife is furious, and now afraid to drive the car and getting stranded. I suppose we will have to go to the dealer and have it out with them in the next day or so...Pretty disappointed
The following users liked this post:
jeff81505 (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 05:53 AM
jeff81505
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomli777
First time Lexus owner here...I bought my new 2020 ES 350 about two and a half months ago and have been driving it moderately since then (2000 miles) and there have been no issues. Today I went to start it and the first time the screens were flickering and lights came on but engine would not start. Tried several more times and each time the engine would not start but occasionally there would be a fast clicking sound.

Is it possible that the battery died already?? I have never had this issue with any of my past cars and really astounded that this would happen in a new ES. Doing some searches online I've also not seen anything like this. No extreme weather, car was not left on, there is no possible reason I can think would remotely even cause this.

I called the dealer but unfortunately they were already closed....hopefully they can send someone from service to my house tomorrow morning.
I have a 2020 ES 350, had to change the battery at 25,000 miles due to bad cell. Free of charge at Lexus
Old 08-04-22, 08:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by bvshearz
So..I see your post was from October of last year... did the new battery and the software update take care of your problem?? Any problems since??
I am asking because ....today we had the same issue. We've only owned the car for a week..It's a 2020 ES 350 F Sport..12 thousand miles....so...naturally ..my wife is furious, and now afraid to drive the car and getting stranded. I suppose we will have to go to the dealer and have it out with them in the next day or so...Pretty disappointed
Your car is nearly three years old. Batteries can go bad in that time especially barely being driven like yours was.
Old 08-04-22, 08:42 AM
jeff81505
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bvshearz
I had my battery changed out May 2022, and yes it did fix the problem. No problems since battery got changed, except for BSM driver side comes on for no reason on the freeway at times
Old 08-04-22, 08:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Many people don't realize this too but batteries under the hood tend to not last as long because of the engine heat. So 3 years is certainly not out of the question.

I love when the batteries are in the trunk. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just standardize this trunk placement for the 12V for the ES350. It would help the batteries last longer and help cut down on manufacturing/part variation. And give the ES350 slightly better weight distribution!
Old 08-04-22, 10:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Many people don't realize this too but batteries under the hood tend to not last as long because of the engine heat. So 3 years is certainly not out of the question.

I love when the batteries are in the trunk. I don't know why Lexus doesn't just standardize this trunk placement for the 12V for the ES350. It would help the batteries last longer and help cut down on manufacturing/part variation. And give the ES350 slightly better weight distribution!
These days I replace at four years old even if no sign of weakness. Pre-emptive strike if you know what I mean. So I'll be doing my ES battery right before the upcoming winter. But today, it's hard to think of winter with temps in the mid 90s here in northern NJ
Old 08-04-22, 02:26 PM
bvshearz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had same issue

As I posted this issue awhile back..3/01/21 .... Same thing happened to my wife's car 2 days after we bought. Dead battery... I used jumper cables started fine ,drove it to the dealer, fixed it the same day Apparently there is some kind of software issue with the car that causes it. Requires an update from the Dealer... They knew about the issue right away .. .apparently a KNOWN problem that they should have fixed before they sold me the car. Anyway. .good news is ..it solved the problem and hasn't had any issues since.

QUOTE=tomli777;10920498]First time Lexus owner here...I bought my new 2020 ES 350 about two and a half months ago and have been driving it moderately since then (2000 miles) and there have been no issues. Today I went to start it and the first time the screens were flickering and lights came on but engine would not start. Tried several more times and each time the engine would not start but occasionally there would be a fast clicking sound.

Is it possible that the battery died already?? I have never had this issue with any of my past cars and really astounded that this would happen in a new ES. Doing some searches online I've also not seen anything like this. No extreme weather, car was not left on, there is no possible reason I can think would remotely even cause this.

I called the dealer but unfortunately they were already closed....hopefully they can send someone from service to my house tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-04-22, 02:40 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
These days I replace at four years old even if no sign of weakness. Pre-emptive strike if you know what I mean. So I'll be doing my ES battery right before the upcoming winter. But today, it's hard to think of winter with temps in the mid 90s here in northern NJ
I did the same hardcore on all the BMWs. I got lots of heat from the "if it aint broke don't fix it" crowd on the forum.
Old 08-04-22, 05:15 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 355 Posts

My 2019 ES350 Lux was built in Jan. 19' and I purchased it at the very end of Dec. of 2019. Of course this was back when dealers were flush with vehicles and amazing deals could be earned. Two things I noticed starting with the first issue was the tires exhibited symptoms of flat-spotting. This was one thing I was looking for considering the car sat on the lot for such a long period of time. Long periods between test drives were the likely culprit. The second issue was when I came back to test drive again and ultimately purchase the vehicle, it was discovered that the battery was dead. They had to jump start but I requested a new battery, which they happily did. They weren't going to lose a sale due to a battery situation. Flat spots on tires can be a common things for cars that sit for long periods and I made sure before signing the contract that if the tires didn't even out that they would be replaced. I had this written into the contract. Again, I wasn't concerned but they wanted me to feel confident in the purchase. As for the battery, I chalked it up to it having sat for so long or any number of things.

HOW LONG DO LEXUS BATTERIES LAST?

Lexus batteries usually last between 3-5 years, but this is variable depending on the type of battery, driving habits, weather conditions, and more. You can prolong the life of your battery by:
  • Proactively testing your battery
  • Keeping your vehicle stored indoors away from extreme swings in temperature or climate
  • Keeping the battery tightly fastened - did you know the vibrations of your car can loosen the connections and rattle your battery's components?
  • Cleaning the terminals and posts of corrosion with the contractual cleaning interpretation & a wire brush.
  • Starting your Lexus mostly is essential. Don't let your battery go unused for long periods of time.

HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU REPLACE YOUR LEXUS BATTERY?

Every 3 to 5 years, but you should have your battery tested frequently for drops in voltage to make sure it's operating at a high level. Car batteries typically carry 12 to 13 volts unless you have a high-performance battery. Anything higher than 13 volts may indicate a faulty battery.

Quick Reply: possible dead battery in NEW 2020 ES 350??