ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Audio system law firm call

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21 | 05:41 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDiddy
thanks to this forum and reading this thread yesterday i decided to swing by ourisman lexus of rockville, md to go and get this fix. i bought a 2019 lexus es350 f sport from this dealership and didn’t notice the rear sound quality was poor when fading all the way back. i called the dealer, to talk about the service bulletin posted here, and they told me to come on in. i pulled into the service bay at the dealership and asked me what was going on. i explained the tsb but they claimed they couldn’t find it. service manager told me he will look in system, and if he cannot, he will call me in to talk about the bulletin i had. So eventually he had his mechanic look and mechanic said he couldn’t find anything wrong with the car. they called me over to look at it and i moved all the sound to rear speakers to show them the poor fading. they still didn’t believe me and said it sounded fine, and i explained to them i’m an audiophile and y’all must be crazy. anyway, we then walked over to another lexus es350, the luxury version 2020 and reproduced the same rear speaker fade. thankfully, that sounded way better and finally only then the service manager agreed to sign off and cover this under warranty. magically they were able to find the very same tsb referenced in this thread. took a little complaining and comparing to another es for them to finally cover the amplifier change free of charge under the warranty, but it wasn’t as smooth as i anticipated. i definitively had to lobby and advocate for myself. haha they were impressed i found the tsb, they said lexus never puts it out there so they were shocked i got it. ah well. sounds much much better now after they replaced the amplifier thanks to this tsb. thanks club lexus forum! y’all helped me out with this one!!!
If you had printed out the TSB and handed it to them, you could have saved both you and them a lot of time and effort.
Old 02-23-21 | 07:34 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DavidZ
If you had printed out the TSB and handed it to them, you could have saved both you and them a lot of time and effort.
Yeah, service managers love it when you stick something in their face like a TSB.
Old 02-24-21 | 05:35 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SDiddy
thanks to this forum and reading this thread yesterday i decided to swing by ourisman lexus of rockville, md to go and get this fix. i bought a 2019 lexus es350 f sport from this dealership and didn’t notice the rear sound quality was poor when fading all the way back. i called the dealer, to talk about the service bulletin posted here, and they told me to come on in. i pulled into the service bay at the dealership and asked me what was going on. i explained the tsb but they claimed they couldn’t find it. service manager told me he will look in system, and if he cannot, he will call me in to talk about the bulletin i had. So eventually he had his mechanic look and mechanic said he couldn’t find anything wrong with the car. they called me over to look at it and i moved all the sound to rear speakers to show them the poor fading. they still didn’t believe me and said it sounded fine, and i explained to them i’m an audiophile and y’all must be crazy. anyway, we then walked over to another lexus es350, the luxury version 2020 and reproduced the same rear speaker fade. thankfully, that sounded way better and finally only then the service manager agreed to sign off and cover this under warranty. magically they were able to find the very same tsb referenced in this thread. took a little complaining and comparing to another es for them to finally cover the amplifier change free of charge under the warranty, but it wasn’t as smooth as i anticipated. i definitively had to lobby and advocate for myself. haha they were impressed i found the tsb, they said lexus never puts it out there so they were shocked i got it. ah well. sounds much much better now after they replaced the amplifier thanks to this tsb. thanks club lexus forum! y’all helped me out with this one!!!
Is your VIN within the range of the VINs on the TSB?
Old 02-24-21 | 12:22 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yeah, service managers love it when you stick something in their face like a TSB.
Your comment makes no sense. The service folks should appreciate doing the research for them.
Old 02-24-21 | 01:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Your comment makes no sense. The service folks should appreciate doing the research for them.
Do you like being told how to do your job?
Old 02-24-21 | 01:49 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Do you like being told how to do your job?
Again, you're not making any sense. I guess it all depends on how you go about it.
Old 02-24-21 | 02:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Again, you're not making any sense. I guess it all depends on how you go about it.
I'm sorry that you're not understanding. I don't think I'm mistyping.

Please explain how you would 'go about it'. You said you would walk in and hand the TSB to them. That's not how it works.
Old 02-24-21 | 02:26 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

I'm sorry that you're not understanding. I don't think I'm mistyping.

Please explain how you would 'go about it'. You said you would walk in and hand the TSB to them. That's not how it works.
I'm sorry that you're not understanding. You simply tell them you have a copy of it if they want to see it. If anyone takes offense at it, that's their problem, not yours.

So, you would rather spend a couple of hours listening to the audio on other ESs on their lot and listening to them say that they don't hear any difference or can't find any record of the TSB? All because you're afraid to hurt their feelings? Is that it??
Old 02-24-21 | 03:00 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I'm sorry that you're not understanding. You simply tell them you have a copy of it if they want to see it. If anyone takes offense at it, that's their problem, not yours.

So, you would rather spend a couple of hours listening to the audio on other ESs on their lot and listening to them say that they don't hear any difference or can't find any record of the TSB? All because you're afraid to hurt their feelings? Is that it??
One last time, I promise. If you want to keep a good relationship with your SM, you explain the issue you're having and let them be the good guy. Exactly what SDiddy tried to do. Then, if they come back with - "we can't find anything", you will not come across as an entitled **** when you show them what you printed out. Now, if you don't care about maintaining any sort of working relationship with them, by all means, just go in there and stick the TSB in their face and say "I need this addressed". People in all walks of life deserve some common courtesy, but you do you.
Old 02-24-21 | 05:00 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

One last time, I promise. If you want to keep a good relationship with your SM, you explain the issue you're having and let them be the good guy. Exactly what SDiddy tried to do. Then, if they come back with - "we can't find anything", you will not come across as an entitled **** when you show them what you printed out. Now, if you don't care about maintaining any sort of working relationship with them, by all means, just go in there and stick the TSB in their face and say "I need this addressed". People in all walks of life deserve some common courtesy, but you do you.
More total nonsense. If I were the service rep and you made me go through all that and then sprung the TSB on me afterwards, I would feel set up and resentful. If I didn't say it to you, I'd certainly be thinking, "why didn't you give that to me in the first place, jerk?"

Offering the TSB upfront doesn't make you an "entitled ****." Not even remotely. It makes you an educated customer, which any self-respecting service rep would appreciate and respect.
The following users liked this post:
kalel2127 (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21 | 08:43 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

I understand Mike's sensitivity and appreciate it. I'm almost embarrassed now that I took a different approach. I informed the service advisor that I was aware of a TSB covering this issue and that my vehicle was within the VIN range stated in the TSB. The service advisor stated on the ticket "Guest states: car has an update for this and its within the VIN range." I was trying to be helpful and point them to the TSB to aid in their troubleshooting efforts, but I can certainly see how it could be perceived as telling them how to do their job.

I don't really think there is one right answer to this, we all have different approaches and the reality is that while one SA or tech might appreciate the information, the next might be offended. Having spent a career in IT I can say that I would always consider "advice" and file it accordingly. Sometimes I knew it was wrong and would blow it off, but there were certainly times when the self-appointed experts actually had good ideas or information. Working in my career field you had to have pretty thick skin becomes there is always "someone" who believes they know better than you anyway. I would never take unsolicited advice personally and if it led to a quicker resolution it was truly a win-win.