ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Fuel door won’t open (ES300h)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 10:15 AM
Jcrame00
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel door won’t open (ES300h)

The fuel door on my 2019 ES300h doesn’t open. Started around 15k miles and hasn’t worked since (current miles 20k). In the meantime, I position a credit card just above fuel door latch at a 45 degree angle. This places enough tension between fuel door and latch for it to open after pressing the release button again. Wallah, door opens and my credit card goes flying into the air.

Car is currently at dealer being serviced. They replaced one part which didn’t do the trick. Ordered different part number which is on back order. I’ll pass along more info as it comes available.

Anyone else experiencing similar issue?
Old 11-29-20, 10:55 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 572 Likes on 405 Posts

There is also a manual release inside the trunk, if the system fails.
The following 2 users liked this post by toyotaman7:
dklanecky1 (11-30-20), Jcrame00 (11-29-20)
Old 11-29-20, 02:38 PM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcrame00
The fuel door on my 2019 ES300h doesn’t open. Started around 15k miles and hasn’t worked since (current miles 20k). In the meantime, I position a credit card just above fuel door latch at a 45 degree angle. This places enough tension between fuel door and latch for it to open after pressing the release button again. Wallah, door opens and my credit card goes flying into the air.

Car is currently at dealer being serviced. They replaced one part which didn’t do the trick. Ordered different part number which is on back order. I’ll pass along more info as it comes available.

Anyone else experiencing similar issue?
I have had this issue on and off with my ‘19 ES300h. At my 5k check, I noted it, but of course it worked perfectly. Now (~ 18 k), it’ll work fine half the time and barely open the other half. I’ve found that even if it opens a fraction, I can fit a credit card in to make it open (voila, wallah, whatever &#128517
The following users liked this post:
Jcrame00 (11-29-20)
Old 11-30-20, 08:55 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

On most Toyota products, this little latch is what needs to be adjusted. Not sure if it's the same on a Lexus, but I adjust this by manually bending it to put just a bit more pressure against the release. Works all the time.

Old 11-30-20, 12:59 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
On most Toyota products, this little latch is what needs to be adjusted. Not sure if it's the same on a Lexus, but I adjust this by manually bending it to put just a bit more pressure against the release. Works all the time.
good to know. Probably exactly the same on the sister Lexus vehicles.
Old 11-30-20, 07:17 PM
chrisdabos
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was having the same issue, they had to adjust the spring in the door at the dealer.
Old 12-02-20, 07:26 AM
hammerme
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also had the same issue, where the fuel door often wouldn't open for me at the pump using the inside remote opener button. I know about the release cable thing in the trunk, but super-inconvenient to use at the pump. I had Lexus service it, but it still does it fairly often (unreliable). Even after I bent the spring a little (didn't want to break it) and lubricating with lithium grease, it is still unreliable. So eventually I discovered that if you hammer the remote release button numerous times in a row, it will open, or at least mine does. This thread confirms my thought that this is a fairly common minor defect for this model year of ES (my MY is 2019).
Old 12-02-20, 12:10 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 534 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by hammerme
I also had the same issue, where the fuel door often wouldn't open for me at the pump using the inside remote opener button. I know about the release cable thing in the trunk, but super-inconvenient to use at the pump. I had Lexus service it, but it still does it fairly often (unreliable). Even after I bent the spring a little (didn't want to break it) and lubricating with lithium grease, it is still unreliable. So eventually I discovered that if you hammer the remote release button numerous times in a row, it will open, or at least mine does. This thread confirms my thought that this is a fairly common minor defect for this model year of ES (my MY is 2019).
The problem looks like more of an issue with the fuel door latching and electrical latch release mechanism(s) than with a spring tension/force issue. Sounds like there's something in the latching mechanism that is causing the unlocking mechanics not to operate as it should with the steady state force applied by the electrical unlatching mechanism. The initial operating surge will provide a slightly greater impact force than the steady state force so with the rapid repeated "hammering" operation the greater impact force will slowly nudge the mechanical mechanism past what ever is preventing the smooth easy unlatching of the latch.

If the root cause of the problem is with some sticking/binding issue with the latching mechanics you also have to keep in mind that increasing the spring tension/force could make the problem worse rather than eliminate it.
The following users liked this post:
hammerme (12-02-20)