ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Automatic Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 03:44 PM
packman12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Automatic Car Washes

I just read a story in Car & Driver about new cars with all of the automated systems having issues while using car washes. I don't use a car wash and prefer to hand wash my cars, but I was wondering if the new ES350's had any issues with car washes, whether the drive through yourself kind or when the car wash pulls your car through without a driver. I think the problems stemmed from the automatic emergency braking, rain sensing windshield wipers, and perhaps some other systems. The article said to read the owner's manual and follow any instructions located there, but I could not find anything in my manual that covered this issue.
Old 12-30-20, 03:58 PM
AllinCLE
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by packman12
I just read a story in Car & Driver about new cars with all of the automated systems having issues while using car washes. I don't use a car wash and prefer to hand wash my cars, but I was wondering if the new ES350's had any issues with car washes, whether the drive through yourself kind or when the car wash pulls your car through without a driver. I think the problems stemmed from the automatic emergency braking, rain sensing windshield wipers, and perhaps some other systems. The article said to read the owner's manual and follow any instructions located there, but I could not find anything in my manual that covered this issue.
You have nothing to fear. My ES goes through a tunnel wash (you drive on a track, put it in neutral, and it pushes you through) 3 to 7 days a week and there are no issues at all.

​​​​​​Make sure the rain sensing wipers are off, and mute the parking sensor warning once it beeps and it's good to go. No need to actually turn it off.
The following 3 users liked this post by AllinCLE:
ATL350 (01-07-24), FTBoomer (01-07-24), KMiles (01-06-24)
Old 12-30-20, 04:09 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I think that a good rule of thumb is to avoid commercial car washes altogether or as much as you can. None of my cars for the last 40 years have been through a car wash including the one the dealer always wants to use when in for service. They destroy the paint and now, maybe electronics too... No car washes for me...
The following users liked this post:
Denzlex (01-06-24)
Old 12-30-20, 05:34 PM
SteveC666
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues at all. I use the car wash minimum once a week and still looks and performs as good as the day I picked it up.
Old 12-30-20, 09:11 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

They aren't good for your cars paint but I'm lazy and also have another car that has to be hand washed! I'm sure this is very dependent on the type of car wash you go to. I would avoid the HARD brush type washes that will definitely give you swirl marks in the paint over time. I've used the automatic washes may times on my 2020 ES350. Just turn in your mirrors and turn off the rain sensing wipers. I have extreme paint protection on my car though just because I knew I would be using these washes.
Old 12-31-20, 04:13 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Make sure your HOLD is not engaged.

Open the interior panel on the roof so you get the full effect from the flashing colored lights.

Healthy New Year to you all!
Old 12-31-20, 07:35 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by leesofl
make sure your hold is not engaged.

Open the interior panel on the roof so you get the full effect from the flashing colored lights.

Healthy new year to you all!
neutral no brakes
Old 12-31-20, 08:16 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
neutral no brakes
Pretty sure the HOLD remains active in neutral. I simply remove my seatbelt when I pay and that will disengage the auto HOLD.
Old 01-01-21, 01:37 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kalel2127
Pretty sure the HOLD remains active in neutral. I simply remove my seatbelt when I pay and that will disengage the auto HOLD.

I've never used the Hold button before but just put my car in neutral and it works fine every time.
Old 01-01-21, 04:46 PM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
I've never used the Hold button before but just put my car in neutral and it works fine every time.
I would recommend that you give Hold a try! When you come to a stop at one of those interminably long red lights, Hold lets you take your foot off the brake pedal and relieve some leg and foot tension. My ‘19 ES300h UL is the first car I have ever had it in, and now I’d never get another car without it. FWIW. (But disable it at the car wash!)
Old 01-06-24, 03:14 PM
Case71
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just purchased a 2024 ES 350 (midnight blue,), and I'm bumping this thread to see if there are any further thoughts or insights on using automatic car washes. The auto wash near me that I've used for previous vehicles uses plastic swishies rather than brushes that seemed to do okay.

Tbanks.

Last edited by Case71; 01-06-24 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-06-24, 03:21 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by Case71
I've just purchased a 2024 ES 350 (midnight blue,), and I'm bumping this thread to see if there is any further thoughts or insights on using automatic car washes.

Tbanks.
My ES is five years old and never been through one - only because I'm a cheapskate and refuse to pay $10+ to wash my car. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run through one if the car was covered in salt and I couldn't wash it myself outside. It's an ES, not an LFA.
Old 01-07-24, 04:37 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Everyone has their own reasons for maintaining their vehicles the way they do! To me they are just a piece of metal. I park mine n the driveway with no cover. I run them through car washes unless I’m doing a detail. I have all the tools that will make it look new if I feel like it. I keep a good coat of ceramic on them and am ready to polish out any paint Blemishes when needed. I still hand wash them when I feel like it but in most cases that only happens when I feel like playing with my foam cannon! Like I said, it’s only a piece of metal to me. A nice piece granted but, still just a piece.
The following users liked this post:
CJPrinter (01-10-24)
Old 01-07-24, 09:15 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

I use one multiple times a week. I like having the cleanest car on my block.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBQapple:
F3Woody (01-08-24), mikemu30 (01-07-24)
Old 01-08-24, 07:35 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 127 Posts

I have an unlimited monthly subscription to a car wash and take the car through about once a week. Love it. So convenient, and like BBQapple said - I just like looking at a clean shiny car, inside and out.
Are there minor swirls in the coat? Sure. But I don't mind giving a good buffer wax once a year and maintain with a spray on ceramic wax every couple months.
ALSO - My Atomic Silver hides those swirls really, really well. My wife's RX is black and I DO NOT take that through the car wash for that reason.

Quick Reply: Automatic Car Washes