ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Creaky noise from cup holder area

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 07:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I hear you. In my experience though, the dealer will just do poor attempt at locating the noise and just write "could not duplicate problem" on the invoice and send you home. So I don't even bother with them if i can avoid it. Let us knnow what they do.
Old 04-02-21, 07:34 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Part 10 -- New update on creaking. I found what could be a quick and SUPER easy fix for your noises. So despite removing and insulating my stereo AND HVAC units which were indeed creaking when i touched them, i still had some creaking on another drive yesterday. I am not sure if I did those fixes for nothing or if I fixed 75% of the creaking or 0% of it and just discovered the REAL cause sort of by accident which if it is the case for you guys, this fix is super easy and takes seconds to do.

What did I do? I listened, touched, brainstormed as the creaking occurred under acceleration and braking near coming to a stop. (low speeds). I then removed the side knee pads that are covered in a soft vinyl/leathery type texture, and the noise went away immediately. It's a simple test for you guys. Just drive with them off.

(you just pull them up with your hands, starting towards the back of the car) they pop off easy. Those plastic bits that dig into the corresponding dash? That's causing creaking. The fix? I simply wrapped them in tape. I recommend gaffers tape or insulating foam tape but honestly any tape would probably work. Took me 2 min per side to wrap all the little plastic protrusions. So could the fix all along simply be just popping these knee pads off? Try it!!

This test takes less than 10 seconds. Pull the vinyl knee pads off using your fingers and drive without them installed. See if your noise goes away. If so, insulate those little plastic fingers and simply reattached. The front parts hook into the corresponding dash then it simply pops on at the rear. Depending on the type of tape you use, it may fit very snugly/firmly when you reinstall.

Knee pad. Pull off using your fingers. Start towards the rear of the car nearest you.

Those holes are where the plastic hooks latch onto. That's what's causing creaking as the car body flexes.

Back side of the knee pad. Wrap the little plastic hooks in tape. I even wrapped the red clips in tape too. Just tiny pieces. Do both driver and passenger sides. Super easy.
The following 5 users liked this post by E46CT:
GSlasvegas (05-26-23), hammerme (04-02-21), rebel7254 (04-03-21), S0NY (04-23-22), srklin (05-27-22)
Old 04-05-21, 05:00 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I've solved some creaking and squeaking on my '19 ES350 and a GS350 I formally had with foam tape. The rubber stick on bumpers don't work and fall off.

Old 04-05-21, 08:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Update: after several drives including in the hot hot heat, i can report 0 noise! the creaks from the center console are 100% solved. if anyone has these creaks, start with my most recent post above on the knee pads. It's the easiest and quickest fix. just remove them (use your fingers to pull them up from the rear-most side) and see if your noise goes away. You can see the factory used a thin felt tape over a couple of the plastic tabs of the knee pads but it wasn't enough or maybe the particular worker responsible for the install at the factory didn't wrap enough of the tabs. Either case it's fixed. it's so nice driving a quiet car.
The following users liked this post:
scharffnh (03-12-23)
Old 04-05-21, 11:14 PM
maverick9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to your next project on the B pillar!
Apart from the B pillar, I’m still having some issues with the door panels as well, occasional rattling sound etc.

Many thanks for the nice sharing!
Old 04-06-21, 07:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

B pillar already done! It was the seatbelt slider metal bracket for height adjustment. By design, it flops around metal to metal. So I put a small sliver of tape on the back where the seatbelt sliders. At first I used two pieces, but the slider was too stiff and the tape rubbed off. So one piece worked. The slider is now pretty firm and doesn't rattle. however I am not sure what happens if i adjust the seatbelt a lot, it may rub the tape off. But no big deal as i don't plan on changing my height any time soon. lol
The pillar comes off a lot easier than it looks at first. You simply pull the bottoms out by first partially lifting/removing the lower plastic sills on both front and rear floor side sills when you open the door, then you pull away the lower b pillar (pops out) and carefully work your way up. just move it out of the way (don't remove it) then there's two plastic rivets that hold the bottom of the upper (beige) pillar cover then one plastic tab at the top of the cover then it pulls down. For educational / informational purposes only. Only do this if you have experience with DIY. The upper b pillar panel interfaces in a certain way for the seat belt height adjusting button so take note of that upon reassembly.

Work with gloves or clean hands if you have a light interior. Everything is put back together flawless and like new. or in this case, better than new!

Old 04-13-21, 02:59 PM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the fix. I put lots of tape on.

now I have 2 more new rattles. One is from SOS and cabin light panel. You can feel the moving by pushing it upwards. The second is from the dash behind the steering wheel. Both are very annoying.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Part 10 -- New update on creaking. I found what could be a quick and SUPER easy fix for your noises. So despite removing and insulating my stereo AND HVAC units which were indeed creaking when i touched them, i still had some creaking on another drive yesterday. I am not sure if I did those fixes for nothing or if I fixed 75% of the creaking or 0% of it and just discovered the REAL cause sort of by accident which if it is the case for you guys, this fix is super easy and takes seconds to do.

What did I do? I listened, touched, brainstormed as the creaking occurred under acceleration and braking near coming to a stop. (low speeds). I then removed the side knee pads that are covered in a soft vinyl/leathery type texture, and the noise went away immediately. It's a simple test for you guys. Just drive with them off.

(you just pull them up with your hands, starting towards the back of the car) they pop off easy. Those plastic bits that dig into the corresponding dash? That's causing creaking. The fix? I simply wrapped them in tape. I recommend gaffers tape or insulating foam tape but honestly any tape would probably work. Took me 2 min per side to wrap all the little plastic protrusions. So could the fix all along simply be just popping these knee pads off? Try it!!

This test takes less than 10 seconds. Pull the vinyl knee pads off using your fingers and drive without them installed. See if your noise goes away. If so, insulate those little plastic fingers and simply reattached. The front parts hook into the corresponding dash then it simply pops on at the rear. Depending on the type of tape you use, it may fit very snugly/firmly when you reinstall.

Knee pad. Pull off using your fingers. Start towards the rear of the car nearest you.

Those holes are where the plastic hooks latch onto. That's what's causing creaking as the car body flexes.

Back side of the knee pad. Wrap the little plastic hooks in tape. I even wrapped the red clips in tape too. Just tiny pieces. Do both driver and passenger sides. Super easy.
Old 07-04-21, 11:07 PM
chkk
Driver School Candidate

Same on second. Did yours sound like buzzing current flowing behind and beneath the steering wheel? This happened to me once the engine is on, no matter if I turned or not. And did u fix it? Really appreciate any tips!!!
Old 07-04-21, 11:16 PM
chkk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by happyep
this is the fix. I put lots of tape on.

now I have 2 more new rattles. One is from SOS and cabin light panel. You can feel the moving by pushing it upwards. The second is from the dash behind the steering wheel. Both are very annoying.
the one behind the wheel came up so randomly after I added gas with those fuel system cleaner and started engine. Been there ever since.
Old 07-06-21, 07:45 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Happy to report my June 2021 ES has zero noises out of the box, zero rattles or creaks. Whatever Lexus Kentucky factory changes they implemented-- bravo.

I forgot to mention my earlier November 2020 / MY21 ES had a trunk hinge squeak when brand new. I had to lube it myself.
Old 07-08-21, 07:17 PM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Happy to report my June 2021 ES has zero noises out of the box, zero rattles or creaks. Whatever Lexus Kentucky factory changes they implemented-- bravo.

I forgot to mention my earlier November 2020 / MY21 ES had a trunk hinge squeak when brand new. I had to lube it myself.
I think I have the same squeak? Would you be able to take a pic of where to lube that helped you fix it? I can't seem to pinpoint it and it's driving me crazy. Squeaks every time it closes whether it is using the auto close or I do it manually (not sure if yours has auto close feature). Much appreciated if you are able to, thanks.
Old 07-09-21, 07:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wait4Vtec
I think I have the same squeak? Would you be able to take a pic of where to lube that helped you fix it? I can't seem to pinpoint it and it's driving me crazy. Squeaks every time it closes whether it is using the auto close or I do it manually (not sure if yours has auto close feature). Much appreciated if you are able to, thanks.
All you do is open the trunk and look under the shelf area and you'll see two bars running across that form an X pattern, these are the springs for the trunk. i'm pretty sure theyre painted the same color as the car. can't miss it.

Follow the bars to the edges of the car and they sit in this metal bracket. just spray lube there. I used white silicone lube which is low odor/no odor. You don't want the smell of gasoline of strong smelling lubes in your trunk so maybe sniff it first lol. all you need is a tiny tiny bit. use the spray that comes w/ a straw so you can direct it easily.

Honestly this trunk design is low-cost/cheap/low-rent and used in 1970s Fords. The big ol metal hinges swing into the trunk space and requires big ol 5 foot long metal twangy springs.

A shame Lexus didn't use the space-saving/advanced hinge style trunk that BMWs have been using since the late 90s. I believe low end VWs like Jettas and stuff use the more advanced (but costly) system.
Old 07-09-21, 07:35 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Oh one other thing I noticed on my 2nd ES is the seats are about 1/4" further away from the glove box. So they don't rub and make noise like the old ES.

On my old one-- I found it was weird the seats were touching... from the factory. seems they changed something.
Old 07-09-21, 01:52 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Oh one other thing I noticed on my 2nd ES is the seats are about 1/4" further away from the glove box. So they don't rub and make noise like the old ES.

On my old one-- I found it was weird the seats were touching... from the factory. seems they changed something.
You should have asked or searched the forum about that. The Weird 2020 Seat Question thread has a long discussion on that. Posts #14, #18, and #23 are the ones to look at on at on the specifics of the problem and what Lexus did to fix the issue. (TL;DR, defectively manufactured seat frames)

Last edited by grp52; 07-09-21 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Fixed bad link
Old 07-09-21, 02:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grp52
You should have asked or searched the forum about that. The Weird 2020 Seat Question thread has a long discussion on that. Posts #14, #18, and #23 are the ones to look at on at on the specifics of the problem and what Lexus did to fix the issue. (TL;DR, defectively manufactured seat frames)
Except my last ES was also a 2021 so maybe it's not that.

that link doesn't load btw.

Quick Reply: Creaky noise from cup holder area