ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Creaky noise from cup holder area

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21, 02:44 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Except my last ES was also a 2021 so maybe it's not that.

that link doesn't load btw.
Geesh. The one time I don't double check a link... Fixed now. Thanks for the note.

I believe you've stated your last ES was a November 2020 build which was in the same time window that corporate Lexus became aware of the issue and was working on resolving it. So, the question is whether or not Lexus got the whole supply chain purged of defective seat frames before your last ES went down the assembly line.
Old 07-09-21, 02:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Yep MY 2021 with 11/20 build.

link still doesn't work. yeah would depend on when they changed the seat frames. Most companies outsource their seats to Lear. So yeah possibly a supplier issue but in the grand scheme of things, ultimately a Lexus issue.
Old 07-09-21, 04:00 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 514 Likes on 358 Posts

link still doesn't work. ...
The link fix is working as far as I can tell. You might still be using a stale copy from your browser cache.
Old 07-09-21, 05:50 PM
RJLsES
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Gremlins! ;-)
Old 07-12-21, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Link works now. interesting thread.
Old 02-20-23, 06:35 PM
pxc5057
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part 10 -- New update on creaking. I found what could be a quick and SUPER easy fix for your noises. So despite removing and insulating my stereo AND HVAC units which were indeed creaking when i touched them, i still had some creaking on another drive yesterday. I am not sure if I did those fixes for nothing or if I fixed 75% of the creaking or 0% of it and just discovered the REAL cause sort of by accident which if it is the case for you guys, this fix is super easy and takes seconds to do.

What did I do? I listened, touched, brainstormed as the creaking occurred under acceleration and braking near coming to a stop. (low speeds). I then removed the side knee pads that are covered in a soft vinyl/leathery type texture, and the noise went away immediately. It's a simple test for you guys. Just drive with them off.

(you just pull them up with your hands, starting towards the back of the car) they pop off easy. Those plastic bits that dig into the corresponding dash? That's causing creaking. The fix? I simply wrapped them in tape. I recommend gaffers tape or insulating foam tape but honestly any tape would probably work. Took me 2 min per side to wrap all the little plastic protrusions. So could the fix all along simply be just popping these knee pads off? Try it!!

This test takes less than 10 seconds. Pull the vinyl knee pads off using your fingers and drive without them installed. See if your noise goes away. If so, insulate those little plastic fingers and simply reattached. The front parts hook into the corresponding dash then it simply pops on at the rear. Depending on the type of tape you use, it may fit very snugly/firmly when you reinstall.

Knee pad. Pull off using your fingers. Start towards the rear of the car nearest you.

Those holes are where the plastic hooks latch onto. That's what's causing creaking as the car body flexes.

Back side of the knee pad. Wrap the little plastic hooks in tape. I even wrapped the red clips in tape too. Just tiny pieces. Do both driver and passenger sides. Super easy.
Can you elaborate on how to pull off the vinyl knee pad? Am I applying the pulling force upwards toward the ceiling or away toward the door? I'm having trouble pulling the knee pad off and am afraid of breaking it if I apply the wrong pressure.
Old 02-21-23, 12:51 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 974 Likes on 733 Posts

Pull the edge closer to the seat towards the door and then slide it towards the seat.
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (02-21-23)
Old 05-26-23, 04:23 PM
GSlasvegas
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genius

Part 10 -- New update on creaking. I found what could be a quick and SUPER easy fix for your noises. So despite removing and insulating my stereo AND HVAC units which were indeed creaking when i touched them, i still had some creaking on another drive yesterday. I am not sure if I did those fixes for nothing or if I fixed 75% of the creaking or 0% of it and just discovered the REAL cause sort of by accident which if it is the case for you guys, this fix is super easy and takes seconds to do.

What did I do? I listened, touched, brainstormed as the creaking occurred under acceleration and braking near coming to a stop. (low speeds). I then removed the side knee pads that are covered in a soft vinyl/leathery type texture, and the noise went away immediately. It's a simple test for you guys. Just drive with them off.

(you just pull them up with your hands, starting towards the back of the car) they pop off easy. Those plastic bits that dig into the corresponding dash? That's causing creaking. The fix? I simply wrapped them in tape. I recommend gaffers tape or insulating foam tape but honestly any tape would probably work. Took me 2 min per side to wrap all the little plastic protrusions. So could the fix all along simply be just popping these knee pads off? Try it!!

This test takes less than 10 seconds. Pull the vinyl knee pads off using your fingers and drive without them installed. See if your noise goes away. If so, insulate those little plastic fingers and simply reattached. The front parts hook into the corresponding dash then it simply pops on at the rear. Depending on the type of tape you use, it may fit very snugly/firmly when you reinstall.

Knee pad. Pull off using your fingers. Start towards the rear of the car nearest you.

Those holes are where the plastic hooks latch onto. That's what's causing creaking as the car body flexes.

Back side of the knee pad. Wrap the little plastic hooks in tape. I even wrapped the red clips in tape too. Just tiny pieces. Do both driver and passenger sides. Super easy.
you sir have saved me several weeks of messing around with the cup holders. I pulled the insert, taped the gap of the cup holder. Tried jamming o rings to snuck it up. But seems you had the right fix. And excellent explanation on how to do it. A lot of people are afraid to pull panels in fear of breaking something like a clip. I’m glad I’m not the only person that can’t stand rattles. Most people think I’m nuts. I’ve fixed the audio trim ratttle. Glove box rattle, door rattles and many more. Even took the baby chair out and I keep the passenger seat belt buckled with nobody in just to stop the madness
Old 01-20-24, 09:03 PM
20es7thgen
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for posting this. I discovered it’s the knee bolster/pad that’s causing this creaking sound. Do you have a picture of how you wrapped gaffer’s tape or the foam insulation tape over the clips? Would appreciate it. Do you just wrap tape over the tip of the clips or all around it? Thanks sir. 👍🏻
ATL350 (01-21-24)
Old 04-06-24, 02:32 PM
MattO2786
Driver School Candidate

Bump. Just got a 20 ES 350 a few weeks ago and that clicking noise when slowing down and accelerating from a stop was driving me crazy. Took off the knee pads, drove around, and the sound was gone. I used finger tape for golfers and wrapped it all the way around the hooks and clips, except for the back two (red ones). I just wrapped around the base of those and was careful not to cover the part that snaps in. Anyways, I recommend the golfer’s tape, because it’s elastic and soft, so you can easily conform it to the shape of what you’re wrapping it around. Thanks for figuring this out!
Old 04-07-24, 07:11 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Where was the clicking noise coming from? Is it the driver side knee pad? I hear same noises, it sounds like their coming from door panels but maybe not?

Originally Posted by MattO2786
Bump. Just got a 20 ES 350 a few weeks ago and that clicking noise when slowing down and accelerating from a stop was driving me crazy. Took off the knee pads, drove around, and the sound was gone. I used finger tape for golfers and wrapped it all the way around the hooks and clips, except for the back two (red ones). I just wrapped around the base of those and was careful not to cover the part that snaps in. Anyways, I recommend the golfer’s tape, because it’s elastic and soft, so you can easily conform it to the shape of what you’re wrapping it around. Thanks for figuring this out!
Old 04-07-24, 07:54 AM
MattO2786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by es250fsport
Where was the clicking noise coming from? Is it the driver side knee pad? I hear same noises, it sounds like their coming from door panels but maybe not?
It sounded like it was coming from the cupholder/climate control area, so when I googled it, this thread came up. I took both DS and PS knee pads off, drove around, and it didn’t make the noise anymore. I’m not sure which one was making the noise, but I taped up both and put them back on, and the noise appears to be gone.
es250fsport (04-07-24)
Old 04-07-24, 08:31 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Good to know. I will listen to it closely tomorrow and see if I can pin point it.
It sounded like it was coming from the cupholder/climate control area, so when I googled it, this thread came up. I took both DS and PS knee pads off, drove around, and it didn’t make the noise anymore. I’m not sure which one was making the noise, but I taped up both and put them back on, and the noise appears to be gone.
Old 04-08-24, 04:52 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

Hard to pin point but sounds like mine is coming from the front A pillars where it joins with the passenger door.
It was really annoying this morning, just kept ticking and ticking away.

Old 04-08-24, 04:55 AM
es250fsport
Intermediate

I think i have this exact problem in mine. It keeps clicking. Anyone experiencing this? Sounds like it is coming from the passenger door/ A pillar.
Originally Posted by Tootsall
My 2014 has a piece of plastic sheeting wedged in at the base of both A pillars between the pillars and the dash. I wondered if that plastic was "stock" but now I'm sure someone before me experienced the same, "creaky plastic" problem. I'm thinking it's time to trim/adjust that stuff so it's less obvious.

Last edited by es250fsport; 04-09-24 at 03:44 AM.