ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Creaky noise from cup holder area

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 02:57 PM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaky noise from cup holder area

I just took the delivery of 2021 ES350. After the first few days, I started to hear a creaky noise from front cup holder area. It usually happens after car has been sitting in the sun for a while, and most pronounced at acceleration from stop or braking. Didn't see any noticeable gaps. Looks pretty tight. Hate to bring the car to the dealership. They either couldn't duplicate the noise, or suggest to take the center console apart I am afraid. It is a new car with only a few hundred miles on it now. \

Any one has the same issue? Thanks.
Old 01-16-21, 05:39 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

YES, exact same issue (and the only issue) on 2021 ES350 FSport. I hope someone has an answer to this question.

Dave Mac
Old 01-16-21, 05:53 PM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

Same here. A great car except this one . Really hard to live with this when you just paid 40+K on a car.
Originally Posted by Dave Mac
YES, exact same issue (and the only issue) on 2021 ES350 FSport. I hope someone has an answer to this question.

Dave Mac
The following users liked this post:
rebel7254 (03-30-21)
Old 01-16-21, 07:45 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Same here on 2020 fsport. I'm guessing due to the weather the plastic expand and create some creak/noise?
Old 01-16-21, 08:02 PM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

I guess so. Looks like it is fairly common. Any service bulletin on it? Or anyone has the luck to fix it?

Originally Posted by irobot2090
Same here on 2020 fsport. I'm guessing due to the weather the plastic expand and create some creak/noise?
Old 01-17-21, 03:24 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

If you're speaking of the section that has the pull-out plastic form that holds a phone, mine does make noise especially when the phone is in the designated slot.

To stop the phone from wiggling, I put two little pads (Home Depot) at the bottom of that compartment. To hold the slide-in/slide-out plastic section, I got adhesive sticks (FunTak or Blue Stick) and put a tiny amount between the slider and the holder and that did the trick. Invisible and easy to remove and reuse.

Old 01-17-21, 03:49 AM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

I actually removed that piece of phone divider plastic, the noise is still there. The creaking is from around that section though.

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
If you're speaking of the section that has the pull-out plastic form that holds a phone, mine does make noise especially when the phone is in the designated slot.

To stop the phone from wiggling, I put two little pads (Home Depot) at the bottom of that compartment. To hold the slide-in/slide-out plastic section, I got adhesive sticks (FunTak or Blue Stick) and put a tiny amount between the slider and the holder and that did the trick. Invisible and easy to remove and reuse.

Old 01-17-21, 06:41 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar noise when I first got my 2019. Like you, it mostly happened when it was hot out. When I had it in for my 5k service I brought it up. The issue was actually something on the left side of the glove box. They shimmed something with some foam and nary a creak since.
Old 01-17-21, 06:50 AM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for sharing.

did you hear the creaking sound from the glove box or cup holder section? I can hear it is from cup holder section pretty clear. I know sometimes the source of problem is somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I had a similar noise when I first got my 2019. Like you, it mostly happened when it was hot out. When I had it in for my 5k service I brought it up. The issue was actually something on the left side of the glove box. They shimmed something with some foam and nary a creak since.
Old 01-17-21, 06:59 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by happyep
Thanks for sharing.

did you hear the creaking sound from the glove box or cup holder section? I can hear it is from cup holder section pretty clear. I know sometimes the source of problem is somewhere else.
To me it sounded like the creak came from the right side of the front cup holder area. That's what I told them when I had it in. They found the problem to be on the left side of the glove box and shimmed something in that area with foam. Like I said, not a creak since.
Old 01-21-21, 04:14 AM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if this type of noise will go away after “break in” period. I now believe the noise is due to plastics expansion/contraction with temp change. I just hate to do anything on a brand new car. But I have to say it is annoying especially the car overall is so quiet.

Originally Posted by Ltvscout
To me it sounded like the creak came from the right side of the front cup holder area. That's what I told them when I had it in. They found the problem to be on the left side of the glove box and shimmed something in that area with foam. Like I said, not a creak since.
Old 01-21-21, 08:18 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

In March 2021 it will be 2 years of driving the ES and I still hear the same noises from the cup holder area. I always assumed it was due to my aftermarket sound system but apparently it's another gift from Lexus...
Old 01-21-21, 08:48 AM
happyep
Driver School Candidate

Well, if this is a common issue, Lexus should have a SB on it, right?
Unfortunately I am in sunny CA, the car is getting warm quickly in the sun, that's when the creaking noise appears especially when accelerating or slowing down. In the morning, all good so far. It should be a very quiet car
Old 01-26-21, 10:46 AM
Chinachip
Driver School Candidate

I want that lighting cable. Where did you find that?
Old 01-26-21, 10:50 AM
kalel2127
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Chinachip
I want that lighting cable. Where did you find that?
Here you go:

iPhone Charger Cable, Nylon Braided Right Angle Elbow

Quick Reply: Creaky noise from cup holder area