ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

5K Service at Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 07:57 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 5K Service at Dealer!

Does anyone know what dealer going to do at 5K service? I took my car in for 5K service last week and noticed they didn't do anything on my car except some minor things on the car fit and finish.
I have a dash cam and look through all the clips and didn't see they open the hood to check for other stuffs like fluids, etc. They didn't even rotate my tires at all.

I complain about the backup camera been out of focus/blurry and heard on the clip the tech talked to another tech and said it's so clear, look like 4K to him (really???? moving on.)
I also complain about the fit and finish on the steering wheel, the gaps on both side are not even and heard they said "that's how it is, nothing they can do, ok fine...moving on)

They also complains and talk trash about people bringing their cars in for 5K and 10K service because they don't make any money out of it. (this is bull****, i heard everything on the clips when they talk trash to the customers.) I am disappointed, not sure if I need to bring my car in for the 10K service again, or maybe looking for another dealer.
Old 01-17-21, 05:00 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,136 Likes on 735 Posts

The 5,000 mile is a tire rotation and a bunch of inspections that I never get done. The 10,000 mile again is a tire rotation and an oil change and again a bunch of inspections I never get done.

My method is I never go in an ask for a 15,000 or 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance. I would be paying big bucks for a lot of inspections of things I do not need inspected. Every 10,000 miles I get an oil change and tire rotation. I bring my own oil and filter. Filter is bought on line for $5 and the Mobil 1 is bought at Walmart for $23 for a five quart jug. They charge $30 labor for the oil change and $ 30 for the tire rotation. Every 20,000 miles, I replace the air and cabin air filters which take less then 5 minutes and cost $40. At 30,000 mile intervals, I have the brake fluid replaced which is $120. I usually sell my cars with about 100,000 miles and usually buy two year old CPO which gives me my first four services free. These all added up cost me less then $1,000 every 100,000 miles for both our RX and ES combined.

Last edited by Freds430; 01-18-21 at 04:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
irobot2090 (01-19-21), LexNYC83 (01-17-21)
Old 01-17-21, 06:55 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by irobot2090
Does anyone know what dealer going to do at 5K service? I took my car in for 5K service last week and noticed they didn't do anything on my car except some minor things on the car fit and finish.
This is what they were supposed to do. Lexus pays the dealer to do your first 5k and 10k maintenance.
  • Program Lexus Personalized Settings (if requested)
  • Road test
  • Rotate tires
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
  • Inspect wiper blades
  • Inspect brake pads, calipers, and rotors
  • Check installation of driver’s floor mat
The first item they only do at your first 5k service if you request it. I had all of my personalized settings set by them before I took delivery of my car.

Here is what they do every 10k for service in addition to the above items:
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter
  • Reset oil maintenance reminder if oil was changed
  • Replace cabin air filter
I just had my first 10k service done last week. I can confirm they did everything above. Both my first 5k and 10k services were free. I'd talk to the service manager at your dealer. Tell them you have it on video that none of those services were performed.

The following users liked this post:
irobot2090 (01-19-21)
Old 01-17-21, 06:29 PM
irobot2090
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's exactly what I thought they would do. But I check my footages and never see them do any of the services above. I did asked them to do the Personalized settings but still complains bla bla bla.
They also complains when people asking them to do even thought they get paid to do it. UGH. I might have to look for another dealer.
Old 01-18-21, 10:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by irobot2090
That's exactly what I thought they would do. But I check my footages and never see them do any of the services above. I did asked them to do the Personalized settings but still complains bla bla bla.
They also complains when people asking them to do even thought they get paid to do it. UGH. I might have to look for another dealer.
They don't change your oil???
Old 01-18-21, 12:05 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

If this was my car I would download the video and send it to the General Manager of the dealership and a copy to Lexus corporate. I wouldn't let this go being treated (and cheated) the way you were. These two handjobs should be unemployed and you should go back and get what you're entitled to.
The following 3 users liked this post by bc6152:
dklanecky1 (01-19-21), irobot2090 (01-19-21), Tootsall (01-19-21)
Old 01-18-21, 12:17 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

The 5K does not include the synthetic LOF, those are scheduled every 10K.
The tire rotation (except staggered fitment RC/IS?LC's) are every 5K.

I agree that the Service Management should be made aware of the dash cam footage.
Since there are no parts involved at all the managers screens would not be expected
to show any entries and so would not raise any flags regarding work Not Done.
The following users liked this post:
irobot2090 (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 04:59 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Anyone being paid for a job and intentionally not doing it, yet still being paid for the job, is committing theft, IMO.

The most concering issue in my opinion is what else are they not doing?

How would anyone / you as a manager ever trust these guys again?

Last edited by dklanecky1; 01-19-21 at 05:02 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by dklanecky1:
bc6152 (01-19-21), irobot2090 (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 12:26 PM
tike71
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The mechanics (not sure about techs) are highly incentivized to finish each job quicker than the book time. If a certain job pays 2 book hours, and the mechanic finishes in 1, he can move onto another job while collecting 2 hours of work. This can be a huge factor in affecting customer satisfaction negatively and why most 100+ point inspections don't mean much; because they're not performed.
The following 2 users liked this post by tike71:
irobot2090 (01-19-21), kalel2127 (01-19-21)
Old 01-19-21, 08:39 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

I would change oil at 5k if your driving falls into ‘severe’ category, like excessive idling and frequent short trips that never let engine fully warm up.
Old 01-19-21, 08:45 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
Anyone being paid for a job and intentionally not doing it, yet still being paid for the job, is committing theft, IMO.

The most concering issue in my opinion is what else are they not doing?

How would anyone / you as a manager ever trust these guys again?
entirely management fault. They want them to do a lot more work per hour than what the book says. Warranty has lowest reimbursement per hour. You can complain to lexus corporate
Old 01-20-21, 04:00 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a situation with a Lexus dealership near where I live in Miami. Don't want to mention their name since I am not sure if it is allowed on this forum. Don't want to be accused of slander. A couple years ago, I brought my wife's NX there for an oil change that I chose to pay for. When I got home, I checked the oil just to be sure it was at the correct level and the oil did not look fresh. I realize Synthetic can sometimes be misleading when it comes to that. However, when it was time to bring my RX350 (vehicle I had before my ES350) there for an oil change and rotation which I also requested and paid for, I decided to cleverly hide a GoPro under the hood where it was not obvious at all. Secured it with wire ties, wrapped with pipe insulation to disguise and secured again with electrical tape. Knowing I had at most 3 hours of battery life, I made sure it was clear I was waiting for the car. Sure enough, I was charged $110 for the service, they did rotate the tires and I knew that because I made small crayon type markings on the inside back wheels. However, the hood was never opened. LOL The invoice had the parts for the oil change which included oil, filter, gasket and disposal fee. I paid with my Amex.

When I viewed the video when I got home, of course I made a mad dash back to the dealer and the service manager was in complete denial. I took a picture of the GoPro hidden under the hood to prove it was there and showed him that and tried to show him the video and he walked away saying it's impossible. Basically, accusing me of trying to get a free oil change. Also contacted Lexus Corporate and they did not want the video and suggested I go back to the dealer. That I was not going to do because I was extremely angry and I like my freedom.

Reported to the attorney general in Florida. Useless. However, American Express did come through and disputed the charge successfully . Obviously, I have been using another dealership in Broward County since then and used the camera the first time. They did the work. There are easier but not as solid ways to determine if this were to happen such as leaving the oil filler cap loose just (not to the point where it would shoot oil out) before you pull into the dealership. If they do change the oil, the tech would have to remove it and when screwing back in, you would think he would have it tight.

Old 01-20-21, 06:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

This is more prevalent than the public is aware. A few years ago here in Pennsylvania, based on an employee tip, the Pennsylvania Attorney General conducted an investigation on a nationally recognized oil change and lube company. It was determined that employees were instructed to falsify records and not change the oil. They gave customers a "wall job" which means they parked your car next to a wall and charged you for the services...
Old 01-20-21, 11:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,816 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno
I had a situation with a Lexus dealership near where I live in Miami. Don't want to mention their name since I am not sure if it is allowed on this forum. Don't want to be accused of slander. A couple years ago, I brought my wife's NX there for an oil change that I chose to pay for. When I got home, I checked the oil just to be sure it was at the correct level and the oil did not look fresh. I realize Synthetic can sometimes be misleading when it comes to that. However, when it was time to bring my RX350 (vehicle I had before my ES350) there for an oil change and rotation which I also requested and paid for, I decided to cleverly hide a GoPro under the hood where it was not obvious at all. Secured it with wire ties, wrapped with pipe insulation to disguise and secured again with electrical tape. Knowing I had at most 3 hours of battery life, I made sure it was clear I was waiting for the car. Sure enough, I was charged $110 for the service, they did rotate the tires and I knew that because I made small crayon type markings on the inside back wheels. However, the hood was never opened. LOL The invoice had the parts for the oil change which included oil, filter, gasket and disposal fee. I paid with my Amex.

When I viewed the video when I got home, of course I made a mad dash back to the dealer and the service manager was in complete denial. I took a picture of the GoPro hidden under the hood to prove it was there and showed him that and tried to show him the video and he walked away saying it's impossible. Basically, accusing me of trying to get a free oil change. Also contacted Lexus Corporate and they did not want the video and suggested I go back to the dealer. That I was not going to do because I was extremely angry and I like my freedom.

Reported to the attorney general in Florida. Useless. However, American Express did come through and disputed the charge successfully . Obviously, I have been using another dealership in Broward County since then and used the camera the first time. They did the work. There are easier but not as solid ways to determine if this were to happen such as leaving the oil filler cap loose just (not to the point where it would shoot oil out) before you pull into the dealership. If they do change the oil, the tech would have to remove it and when screwing back in, you would think he would have it tight.
Unreal. My wife's RX last oil change at the dealer, it was returned to me one quart low. I texted the service writer and also responded to a QC text - no reply from either. I added a quart myself.
Old 01-20-21, 11:16 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

mikemu30 - yes, that is unfortunate and happens as well. I always check my oil afterwards. But as bad as it is, that is incompetence or laziness and not outright theft which is what I experienced and bc6152 pointed out as being prevalent. Unfortunately, we need to be on high alert for scammers and dishonesty. It is a shame that we can't be more trusting of people but I guess that is way some conduct themselves in business and socially. Can't change others or the world. We can only be the best human being we can be and lead by example.

Quick Reply: 5K Service at Dealer!