ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

ES 350 Ultra Luxury Driver Seat--Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 06:34 PM
Cinmarc17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2021 ES 300h premium from a Lexus Dealer 3hrs away from me. At the dealership when I told them the seat felt like it was hard they said the leather had to break in. The car I traded was a 2015 ES300H luxury and the seats were comfortable. Driving home in the 2021 after 3 hrs max me feel like I was sitting on a board. Seeing all the posts on this issue tonight I feel like I should return the car. Did you or others ever call Lexus with this problem. Need suggestions.
Old 09-10-22, 07:24 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 475 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Cinmarc17
I just purchased a 2021 ES 300h premium from a Lexus Dealer 3hrs away from me. At the dealership when I told them the seat felt like it was hard they said the leather had to break in. The car I traded was a 2015 ES300H luxury and the seats were comfortable. Driving home in the 2021 after 3 hrs max me feel like I was sitting on a board. Seeing all the posts on this issue tonight I feel like I should return the car. Did you or others ever call Lexus with this problem. Need suggestions.
Many of the luxury brands don't make their seats as soft or with as much cushion anymore compared to previous models. All manufacturers have moved onto more sporty look and feel. Look at any top trim Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. The seats are all still comfy to me and I find my F sport seats to be comfy and fit my frame nicely. Compared to the 2013 GS350 F sport we have in the family though, the cushions are definitely flatter in my ES. However, I've driven 3hrs straight with no complaints.
The following 3 users liked this post by dezymond:
ATL350 (09-11-22), GS350Miami (09-11-22), UltraLux22 (09-11-22)
Old 09-11-22, 12:09 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by dezymond
Many of the luxury brands don't make their seats as soft or with as much cushion anymore compared to previous models. All manufacturers have moved onto more sporty look and feel. Look at any top trim Audi, BMW, or Mercedes. The seats are all still comfy to me and I find my F sport seats to be comfy and fit my frame nicely. Compared to the 2013 GS350 F sport we have in the family though, the cushions are definitely flatter in my ES. However, I've driven 3hrs straight with no complaints.
I have the Ultra Luxury with semi-aniline leather and smaller side bolsters, and I agree with your comment on all counts. My last car's seats were softer and I preferred them, but I have found these seats broadly adjustable and supportive on long drives.
Old 09-11-22, 02:14 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 366 Posts

The driver’s seat is positioned so that when seated your hips are lower to the floor. This could be why some have issues. Seems like the driving position is different to some other brands I’ve driven. When I try to adjust to a more “L” shaped seating position, I can only adjust so far as the headrest hits the roof. This is one reason I’m getting an RX. I find the seating adjustments allow for a more upright position. Similar to sitting in a chair. On longer trips I have to keep adjusting in my 22’ UL but I had the same issue in my 19’ Lux

Last edited by UltraLux22; 09-11-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 02:26 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
Many of the luxury brands don't make their seats as soft or with as much cushion anymore compared to previous models. All manufacturers have moved onto more sporty look and feel. Look at any top trim Audi, BMW, or Mercedes.
I'll add to that list. A few years ago I rented a Cadillac for a trip from KY to FL and was quite surprised to find that the cabin was very cramped, somewhat like a cockpit. The seats were definitely smaller and oriented towards more sporty, spirited driving. They were definitely not as cushy as I remember when my family bought a Sedan De Ville or the Fleetwood. Those were like land yachts but terrific on long trips!
Old 09-11-22, 03:14 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

IMO they told you what they felt you needed to hear to humor you and not have the offer rescinded on the car. It has nothing to due with the leather being broken-in IMO. But you already know that now.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 09-11-22 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 11:08 AM
Cinmarc17
Driver School Candidate

What seat cushion did you buy
Old 10-16-22, 01:42 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

What seat cushion did you buy
Someone on this board recommended this one. I've been using it for a year and love it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Old 04-07-23, 12:17 PM
njlou
6th Gear

Angry deal breaker seats!!

Originally Posted by jck9890
I just recently gave my 2014 base model ES350 to my sister in law. I loved that car, but it was time for an upgrade. Had the dealer find me a new 2021 Ultra Luxury in Caviar with flaxen interior. I picked it up yesterday and I love everything about it except for one thing. The driver's seat feels like I am sitting on a bar. It is as if they forgot to put some padding in the seat. I would liken it to laying on a pull out bed from a couch when that thin mattress doesn't cover the bar. Same concept. Not sure if this is due to the thigh extender and it has to have a "box" or something to retract into? I am not sure of the reason but I'm almost embarrassed to go back to the dealer and ask if they forgot padding in the seat. Anyone else had this issue? It doesn't exactly hurt, but it is too firm and not comfortable for a long drive. I believe a seat cushion from Amazon will fix the problem so it isn't a deal breaker. I'm just very surprised this is an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated. Or if nobody else has noticed this, maybe they really did forget to include some padding? Thanks for your responses.
Looking at a 2019 es350 base model (used car dealer says luxury....not)
The seats are VERY uncomfortable. the seat portion is too short and pushes my lower thigh.
Since it is the base car the seats are ersatz leather. Not too thrilled with that.
Cloth seats may be better.
The BIG BOSS found it also and nixed the car!!!
We currently have a 2008 BMW 528xi ....seats are leather and very good.
Our prior car was a Volvo s80 also very good.
BUT is Lexus that bad???? Is it all name only!!
Both of us are thin and not the least bit heavy, tall or wide, so the seats would terrible for so many!!
Old 04-07-23, 12:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Don't install seat cushions. Car seats are heavily (very heavily) engineered as part of the overall passive/active restraint/kinematics package and they do NOT take into account aftermarket add-ons. In other words, if you get into a crash, the system is designed to work with the precise seat angles, hardness, height, etc baked into the existing design. You could get hurt, slide under, have poor seatbelt pre tensioner and load limiting behavior, airbag timing etc.

you heard it here first precise E46CT information. don't let me catch you guys doing these things!! I look out for people's safety!!

yes i know the 7ES seats are hard and suck but better that than getting hurt. The safety system of any car is tightly choreographed and rehearsed on computer models millions of times based on what you get right out of the box.
The following users liked this post:
Newy (04-24-24)
Old 04-07-23, 12:50 PM
Cinmarc17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Don't install seat cushions. Car seats are heavily (very heavily) engineered as part of the overall passive/active restraint/kinematics package and they do NOT take into account aftermarket add-ons. In other words, if you get into a crash, the system is designed to work with the precise seat angles, hardness, height, etc baked into the existing design. You could get hurt, slide under, have poor seatbelt pre tensioner and load limiting behavior, airbag timing etc.

you heard it here first precise E46CT information. don't let me catch you guys doing these things!! I look out for people's safety!!

yes i know the 7ES seats are hard and suck but better that than getting hurt. The safety system of any car is tightly choreographed and rehearsed on computer models millions of times based on what you get right out of the box.
I just had my first service. As it turns out the seats in the ES350 is softer tan the ES300h, which I have. I dont understand, but they are.
Old 04-07-23, 01:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

That could be a sample to sample variation, wear, supplier change for the cushion or other parts, and not necessarily the engine choice. I do not see the design would be different based on powertrain. Same part #s?
Old 04-07-23, 03:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

I just had my first service. As it turns out the seats in the ES350 is softer tan the ES300h, which I have. I dont understand, but they are.

Try 350 and 300h with the same package. Luxury/UL pads in the seat are not the same as on the Premium.
Old 04-07-23, 03:22 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think what happens is the foam wears out after 6 months. Both my 2021 ESes felt great when I drove them home and shortly after. But after 6 months, a wavyness develops on the seat bottom, and the foam underneath seems to flatten & compress creating the "hard bar" effect underneath. it's fine for short commutes but past 30 min it gets very hard and creates pressure points on the bum. Others have pointed this out for the luxury seats as well.
Old 04-09-23, 08:10 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jck9890
I just recently gave my 2014 base model ES350 to my sister in law. I loved that car, but it was time for an upgrade. Had the dealer find me a new 2021 Ultra Luxury in Caviar with flaxen interior. I picked it up yesterday and I love everything about it except for one thing. The driver's seat feels like I am sitting on a bar. It is as if they forgot to put some padding in the seat. I would liken it to laying on a pull out bed from a couch when that thin mattress doesn't cover the bar. Same concept. Not sure if this is due to the thigh extender and it has to have a "box" or something to retract into? I am not sure of the reason but I'm almost embarrassed to go back to the dealer and ask if they forgot padding in the seat. Anyone else had this issue? It doesn't exactly hurt, but it is too firm and not comfortable for a long drive. I believe a seat cushion from Amazon will fix the problem so it isn't a deal breaker. I'm just very surprised this is an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated. Or if nobody else has noticed this, maybe they really did forget to include some padding? Thanks for your responses.
Yep, that’s a real PIA! I also have the 2021 MY, sans thigh extender. It’s intolerably firm but one does get used to it over time. I missed noticing it when I checked the car out, on line, pre-purchase. Test drove a 2019 and didn’t seem to notice it then. I guess I was focusing on other issues. Never dreamed that such a luxury car would have such non-luxurious seats! Who would’ve thought!

Quick Reply: ES 350 Ultra Luxury Driver Seat--Ouch!