ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

F-Sport 350 : Bought the wrong ES ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-21 | 10:45 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by Woffski
I've had my 2020 ES350 F-Sport for several months now. Today, I took it out for a good ride. Noticed that it was a little noisy, but thought it was because it was windy today. Not all that bad, did think about it too much. Drove over 100 miles.

don't get me wrong the ES F-sport by no means a "noisy" car.. it just our expectations of library silence isn't there which we all seem to expect. I would say noise level is average for this class.

the issue is most of the online reviews I saw ie Alex on auto etc not a single one made this point, ie road noise. I believe they should have especially people expect certain attributes from the Lexus brand ie quietness. so lesson of the day do a long test drive.. better rent the car for a week and only then you can truly tell the car is right for you.

with hindsight I would have opted for ES Platinum model ( ie Ultra luxury) .. but that is my fault I fell for the F-sport good looks

Last edited by Prado; 02-21-21 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
A3A (02-21-21)
Old 02-21-21 | 07:40 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

...or negotiate specific tires when purchasing the car?
Old 02-21-21 | 05:00 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by Tootsall
...or negotiate specific tires when purchasing the car?

with dealerships here no... the dealers generally specify the specific tech and accessories. Based on what I could research the dealer specified Dunlop bcos of cost ... Michelin, continental etc are much quieter but are also more expensive. Also I believe the UL version has additional sound deadening features such as acoustic glass etc

it is a shame as this car wasn’t cheap it cost $52k after a massive clearance discount..

so bottom line ... if you are looking a Lexus ES experience and image stick with the regular ES.

if you want to look cool f sport all the way...and crank up the volume ***

Last edited by Prado; 02-21-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-22-21 | 08:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Prado
with dealerships here no... the dealers generally specify the specific tech and accessories. Based on what I could research the dealer specified Dunlop bcos of cost ... Michelin, continental etc are much quieter but are also more expensive. Also I believe the UL version has additional sound deadening features such as acoustic glass etc

it is a shame as this car wasn’t cheap it cost $52k after a massive clearance discount..

so bottom line ... if you are looking a Lexus ES experience and image stick with the regular ES.

It's all subjective. There is no difference to my ear in road noise. I have had many loaners non-FSport.
Old 02-22-21 | 09:01 AM
ALarsh
Rookie

I would recommend switching out your Dunlop's for a Michelin. My 2020 F-Sport with Michelin's is extremely quiet.
Old 02-22-21 | 09:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ALarsh
I would recommend switching out your Dunlop's for a Michelin. My 2020 F-Sport with Michelin's is extremely quiet.
Another tire in the 19" FSport size is the General Altimax - I had them on a prior car and they are super quiet, smooth and reasonably priced. I may go with those when my Michelins are ready for recycling.
The following users liked this post:
Prado (02-22-21)
Old 02-22-21 | 11:52 AM
Wait4Vtec
Pit Crew

My b9 A4 rode quieter because of the suspension (multi link front and rear) and Pirelli tires and less wind noise. It did not have acoustic glass either. The ES is quiet on good roads and noisy on less than pristine.
Old 02-22-21 | 01:22 PM
mickbrown
Driver

My understanding is that dealers have zero input on the OE tire brand. If Michelin and Bridgestone have each contracted for 50% of a vehicle’s fitments, you’ll get whichever one’s turn it is in your car’s assembly.
Old 02-22-21 | 04:50 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by ALarsh

Yes planning that in 2 years.... I only have 2k+ km on the clock..

Last edited by Prado; 02-22-21 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-22-21 | 04:59 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by mickbrown
My understanding is that dealers have zero input on the OE tire brand. If Michelin and Bridgestone have each contracted for 50% of a vehicle’s fitments, you’ll get whichever one’s turn it is in your car’s assembly.

I got this off from a Lexus service advisor, as I understood from him many customers complained about tyre noise and there was talk with the manufacturer to change this. Lexus has a particular following here and pricing is almost the same as other German luxury brands. Also keep in mind in Dubai and in fact in the rest of country there is only one authorized dealership unlike US where you have n number of dealerships.

So the dealer here are very influential..and specify the car to the last detail. For example I have the “full” spec F sports model but no wire less charging ...why ?... that reserved it for the Es platinum ( UL] model...
Old 02-23-21 | 07:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I got this off from a Lexus service advisor, as I understood from him many customers complained about tyre noise and there was talk with the manufacturer to change this. Lexus has a particular following here and pricing is almost the same as other German luxury brands. Also keep in mind in Dubai and in fact in the rest of country there is only one authorized dealership unlike US where you have n number of dealerships.

So the dealer here are very influential..and specify the car to the last detail. For example I have the “full” spec F sports model but no wire less charging ...why ?... that reserved it for the Es platinum ( UL] model...
Good the Platinum has the useless slow charging wireless option
Old 02-23-21 | 01:58 PM
primavera
Instructor

Try switching to Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II with both the same load and speed rating as the sticker on the inside of your door. The higher the load and speed rating, the more uncomfortable the ride.

The P7's are touring [sport-luxury] tires, have both a reasonably soft compound and reasonably flexible side walls with much more absorbent ​​​​​ride and low noise.

Old 02-23-21 | 07:29 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Good the Platinum has the useless slow charging wireless option

lol

to think it just about $100 option this is their idea of market segmentation.... ie younger f sport buyers don’t need wireless charging ....
Old 02-23-21 | 07:30 PM
Prado
Driver

Originally Posted by primavera
Try switching to Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II with both the same load and speed rating as the sticker on the inside of your door. The higher the load and speed rating, the more uncomfortable the ride.

The P7's are touring [sport-luxury] tires, have both a reasonably soft compound and reasonably flexible side walls with much more absorbent ​​​​​ride and low noise.
Are they better than Michelin?
Old 03-03-21 | 06:56 AM
Prado
Driver

did some more digging and around and I think I may have solved the issue of road noise.

In this video the review claims the ES F sport is quiet, now looking closely at the tyres I noticed this particular ES F sport is equipped with Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack.

I did some further snooping around tirerack website and plugged in my car details and specified high emphasis on quiet comfort and it recommended the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack among others..