ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Shifting smoothness

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 05:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Got a loaner today at the dealership, it is an RX 350 and I am honestly amazed at how much smoother the transmission is shifting in there. Makes me feel like something is actually broken on my car.
True but it's a different trans unit. None of that jerkiness though.
Old 03-01-21, 06:00 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rebel7254
Test drove a Genesis 2017 G90 5.0 Ultimate today. Shifting was silky smooth...puts my ES 350 to shame. More power (obviously) and the ride quality is just a bit better. Could probably improve it further by tweaking the settings. Cabin noise is on par with my ES 350 according to my decibel measurement app. It doesn't have Apple Carplay, but that's not a big deal for me. Besides that, I'm pretty sure it has all the tech/features my ES 350 has. Although I didn't find the "remote touch" infotainment interface to be all that terrible, I do think the G90 button/rotary **** interface is easier to use. Found a 2018 G90 with 23k miles for $43k, having it delivered to my house by Carvana. Comes with a 7 day/400 mile free return policy. I'll be covered under the basic warranty until October 2022.

I know I'm gonna lose several grand on this, but I'm just not gonna force myself to live with this poor driving experience. Thankfully I'm fortunate enough financially to be able to afford the loss. I'm also gonna take a hit on fuel economy but there's just something about that V8 feel. It reminded me a lot of my 2008 Cadillac DTS I had several years ago, except even smoother. Keep in mind the transmission in the G90 is an 8-speed also. So clearly the jerkiness of the transmission in the ES 350 isn't just because it's an 8 speed.

So I guess my return to the Lexus family is going to be short lived.
G90 total luxury and you're smart buying it preowned. Good luck with it.
The following users liked this post:
rebel7254 (03-01-21)
Old 03-01-21, 06:01 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
True but it's a different trans unit. None of that jerkiness though.
Yeah, I understand it's a slightly different transmission. It is just disappointing to know to drive that car back to back with the ES and actually feel the difference. I suppose I could complain about the roughness in the transmission to the service department at the dealership but I am sure that will get me nowhere since it is so widespread.
Old 03-01-21, 06:04 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I understand it's a slightly different transmission. It is just disappointing to know to drive that car back to back with the ES and actually feel the difference. I suppose I could complain about the roughness in the transmission to the service department at the dealership but I am sure that will get me nowhere since it is so widespread.
For me, most of my miles are highway driven where the ES is buttery smooth but the infrequent local drives can be a bit annoying. The RX is a great car but I still prefer a sedan. My wife drives the RX.
Old 03-01-21, 06:14 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

For me, most of my miles are highway driven where the ES is buttery smooth but the infrequent local drives can be a bit annoying. The RX is a great car but I still prefer a sedan. My wife drives the RX.
I by all means prefer the ES over an RX, but I agree with you that as long as you are not in stop-and-go traffic the transmission isn't so bad.
Old 03-02-21, 12:58 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

I by all means prefer the ES over an RX, but I agree with you that as long as you are not in stop-and-go traffic the transmission isn't so bad.
99+% of my driving is local stop/start which, I agree, is a completely different driving experience than open road cruising.

Old 03-02-21, 06:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
99+% of my driving is local stop/start which, I agree, is a completely different driving experience than open road cruising.
Yeah if you drive lots of stop n go, fuggetabout this ES. I'd rather go deep sea fishing and I have bad motion sickness on boats
Old 03-02-21, 09:20 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah if you drive lots of stop n go, fuggetabout this ES. I'd rather go deep sea fishing and I have bad motion sickness on boats
I suffer very badly from sea sickness. I was talked into a deep sea fishing trip against my better judgement. I was still shaking 3 days later.

My wife’s MDX is now 11 but in mint condition. We got it when a 95 yo man got confused and t-boned her 99 RX which was also mint. Totaled. Fortunately she was not in the RX which was legally parked. She would have been killed instantly. She preferred the MDX over another new RX, although she loved her old RX. I gave it to her for 1998 Christmas. The next generation RX seemed cramped and underpowered compared to the X. When her X turns 15, I hope to talk her into becoming a one car family. If successful, I will lose the ES and get a new car which pleases her...probably a Tesla.

Last edited by artbuc; 03-02-21 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 09:40 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
I suffer very badly from sea sickness. I was talked into a deep sea fishing trip against my better judgement. I was still shaking 3 days later.

My wife’s MDX is now 11 but in mint condition. We got it when a 95 yo man got confused and t-boned her 99 RX which was also mint. Totaled. Fortunately she was not in the RX which was legally parked. She would have been killed instantly. She preferred the MDX over a new RX. When her X turns 15, I hope to talk her into becoming a one car family. If successful, I will lose the ES and get a new car which pleases her...probably a Tesla.
I went deep sea fishing once off Montauk Long Island many years ago. Needless to say, I've never made that mistake again. My wife will probably want the next gen RX to replace her mint 17 which only has 51K miles. At that point, I may ditch the ES and take her RX for my daily commute. Somewhat less fuel efficient and while I still prefer a sedan, I won't mind running that thing into the ground after it's pretty much depreciated.
Old 03-02-21, 10:33 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,633 Posts

I would have 100% agreed with you a few years ago but honestly, I find that my ES 350 (ultra luxury not f sport) is quite sluggish. I think it is due to the throttle mapping and not the actual drivetrain. I don't know why but it always feels like to get the car up to speed I have to rev it out to 3 or 4 thousand RPMs and for a luxury car, it feels a little weak and in no way athletic. I can only imagine how underpowered the ES 250 is. I have driven a 300h and I feel like the off the line acceleration is better (not necessarily faster, but smoother, and more luxurious) and for some reason, I don't feel like the engine is struggling as hard to pull the car along, maybe do to the assistance of the hybrid motors. The 2GR v6 that is in the ES is a very peaky motor so to really get any power out of it I always find that I have to rev it way out and for a luxury car that just doesn't feel right. It's weird because I have owned other Lexus/Toyota products with the same v6 and always found them to be plenty powerful and acceleration to be effortless. Perhaps I have been spoiled by more powerful cars. Either way, none of this bothers me as I generally do not drive the ES spiritedly or quickly. I find myself puttering around in it and the car really seems to appreciate that driving style most and I feel that the hybrid drivetrain will further enhance that experience. The hybrid drivetrain just adds this extra level of CVT/Electric smoothness that is not present in the 350. Hybrids have gotten so good lately that I don't feel like there is a huge tradeoff consequence for the improved gas mileage. I find that some hybrids are actually quite pleasant to drive. I think hybrids have their place in both luxury cars and performance cars (not saying a Prius is either of these) and the use of hybridization in modern cars is something I actually quite look forward to. Of course, I will always love the howl of a naturally aspirated V8, but times are changing and in a luxury car, a big NA engine is just not necessary when the same level of smoothness or better can be achieved by a far more efficient drivetrain setup. To get back to the point, in terms of driving spiritedly the ES 350 is undoubtedly better than the hybrid, however, I question the choice of an ES for a spirited driver. The hybrid seems to suit the car's luxurious character better. Just my thoughts, to each their own.
The last part is exactly what Savagegeese said in their review. They said the ES hybrid is superior to the V6 in terms of suiting the car's character better. The engine is off half the time so the car is silent for most of commuting. whisper quiet while crawling and even up to 75mph, the ICE will turn off. The ICE is smooth and quiet even when on and dare I say sounds good... (though I think some sound is pumped in through the speakers)

I actually find accelerating and passing effortless and smooth. and i come from fast cars, sports cars, including two E46 M3s, two E36 M3s. Of course the ES hybrid isn't fast in an absolute sense, but its power delivery and execution is seamless and effective. night and day from my CT200h hybrid. The ES hybrid just responds and goes. I floored it for the first time today around 60mph and before I knew it i was in territory i shouldn't have been. pleasantly surprised at the pickup for a 3,700 lb car. More than adequate.

rebel7254 (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 11:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
The last part is exactly what Savagegeese said in their review. They said the ES hybrid is superior to the V6 in terms of suiting the car's character better. The engine is off half the time so the car is silent for most of commuting. whisper quiet while crawling and even up to 75mph, the ICE will turn off. The ICE is smooth and quiet even when on and dare I say sounds good... (though I think some sound is pumped in through the speakers)

I actually find accelerating and passing effortless and smooth. and i come from fast cars, sports cars, including two E46 M3s, two E36 M3s. Of course the ES hybrid isn't fast in an absolute sense, but its power delivery and execution is seamless and effective. night and day from my CT200h hybrid. The ES hybrid just responds and goes. I floored it for the first time today around 60mph and before I knew it i was in territory i shouldn't have been. pleasantly surprised at the pickup for a 3,700 lb car. More than adequate.
I'm sure it responds from 60 mph but try flooring it from 5 mph as if you're accelerating onto a highway and that's where it's sluggish. Again all subjective and that's why they sell both versions.
Old 03-03-21, 06:11 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm sure it responds from 60 mph but try flooring it from 5 mph as if you're accelerating onto a highway and that's where it's sluggish. Again all subjective and that's why they sell both versions.
If I put it in "normal" mode the car has no problem accelerating in my opinion. In ECO mode the car is a dog to accelerate from stop.
Old 03-03-21, 06:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
If I put it in "normal" mode the car has no problem accelerating in my opinion. In ECO mode the car is a dog to accelerate from stop.
Even the regular gas model is a dog in ECO. I only drive in SPORT.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
FTBoomer (03-06-21), kingofire (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 10:45 AM
Napcuramen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the ES300h and not problem with shifting as it does not have gear shifting at all. It works under the eCVT principle.
rebel7254 (03-03-21)
Old 03-04-21, 08:02 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Napcuramen
I have the ES300h and not problem with shifting as it does not have gear shifting at all. It works under the eCVT principle.
One of the reasons why I bought the 300h. Unlike many I am a fan of CVT's because of the floaty ride. I am showing my age lol. Another good thing about CVT, no gears so the transmission fluid doesn't get as hot and extends the fluid life.

Quick Reply: Shifting smoothness