ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019+ ES. Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 05:31 PM
bdroc
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
2019 won't have Android Auto and was also the first year this car was released in a new platform.
I think the older versions had an enform app that gave you things like iHeart radio and Pandora. Now those things are embedded in Android Auto which would be fine except you have to plug in in your phone.

I wish there was an aftermarket upgrade that would allow you to run Android Auto wirelessly.
Old 03-26-21, 03:16 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Get the new one and avoid the risk of “buying some else’s troubles.”
While this is always a risk buying used, it is less of a risk buying a used Lexus. As long as the owner did the scheduled maintenance and didn't have any accidents, both of which can be verified, buying a used Lexus can be an excellent value.

Regarding CPO used vehicles...I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Most are simply lease returns, and many may be gems, in spite of the extra profit the dealer wants to extract from them. Too, one may not have the option of buying non-CPO two/three-year-old used Lexus vehicles, as sellers are scarce. I know because I have search the market many times over the years for "sale-by-owner" vehicles. Most owners don't feel confident in selling a used car at $30-40-50K. Instead, they prefer to trade in or sell back to the dealer at a wholesale price, leaving thousands on the table!
Old 01-04-23, 08:00 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Prado
Es 350 from my experience = zero

some posters have mentioned transmission or squeaks , I have had none except for on rattle from glove box which was quickly fixed by dealer. Then again my Es 350 f sport is built in Japan.

the only thing you need to consider if you like total comfort, then go for regular ES and it is the most quiet. F sport looks much better but suffers from road noise and a firmer ride. I am ok with firmer ride but not with road noise which is largely due to noisy Dunlop sport max tyres that came with the car.

hybrid doesn’t sound or feel great compared to v6, the v6 is butter smooth

But do a test drive all versions ie f sport , regular and hybrid that best suits your preference
I just got mine 3 days ago 2019 ES F sport but made in USA , I was looking for the one are build in Japan can’t find any, most hybrids version were build in Japan !! But I do see the finishes in this car not so good front face door panels back trunk not aligned/centered , what years is yours and how’s the build quality ?
Old 01-04-23, 08:46 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by User 122922
I just got mine 3 days ago 2019 ES F sport but made in USA , I was looking for the one are build in Japan can’t find any, most hybrids version were build in Japan !! But I do see the finishes in this car not so good front face door panels back trunk not aligned/centered , what years is yours and how’s the build quality ?
2021 ES 350 bought new December 2020. American built and absolutely perfectly put together, so far as I can see. No squeaks, rattles or other imperfections. Totally pleased with the car. Never back to the dealer for any problems.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shaboom:
F3Woody (01-05-23), irishbrahm (01-28-23), LexFinally (01-28-23)
Old 01-05-23, 02:01 PM
Dale1962
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a L/certified 20 lexus atomic silver ES 350 Luxury w/panoramic roof for 42k in November 22 had only 6k on it probably overpaid a bit but did get good on my trade,ES is in mint condition person had for lease and never drove it due to working from home during pandemic.Checked vin and previous owner bought in march of 2020 for 46k.Had it a couple of months no problems other than the rear speakers everyone has mentioned but at 60yrs old not jamming like I use to still decent sound system IMO..
Old 01-05-23, 03:52 PM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure to test drive the car thoroughly in different driving conditions.

A jerky transmission seems to be apparent in 2019, 2020, and 2021 model years (I don't know of any 2022 reports but I test drove a 2022 and it drove perfectly). Some are fine, others are far from it.

I wouldn't buy mine again.
Old 01-06-23, 12:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts

This question is for 2019-2020 ESh owners (NiMH battery): when I release the throttle the ICE does not turn off immediately but it keeps spinning and spinning (the EV light does not come on, MG1 spins the engine 20-30 seconds). The 2022 RAV4 Hybrid turns the ICE off everytime I release the throttle. Is this normal for the ESh?

I don’t like this because it is supposed to turn the ICE off and to recharge the battery.
Old 01-06-23, 02:42 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 158 Posts

2020 ESh...There are times when it will cut off right after release but I guess conditions have to be just right for that to happen. It will do it more when I am in eco mode and also where I have inside temperature set. Probably about 20% of the time it will cut off right away.
Old 01-06-23, 04:48 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

My ‘22 RAV4 Hybrid cuts every single time and I like that. Here the problem is that the MG1 spins the ICE and it drains the battery.

Old 01-07-23, 06:02 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Try it with your heating system (HVAC) in off.

If the heater is on and heater core is cold, it will keep the engine on until the heater is warm. In summer the AC will use lots of electricity. Turning AC off will help.

The computer looks atEngine temperature
Internal temperature settings
Battery charge level Amongst other things before turning engine on and off.
Old 01-07-23, 07:49 AM
AndrewLWSN
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Haven't really checked carefully, but from my recollection after 3.5 years of continuous driving, it cuts almost instantly all the time (more than 8 times out of 10 for sure ; the green EV lights turns on on the dash) whenever I release the throttle, even at highway speed. I have the heater/AC on every time I drive and I drive in Normal Mode. I would say that it is not normal.
Old 01-07-23, 09:22 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Try it with your heating system (HVAC) in off.

If the heater is on and heater core is cold, it will keep the engine on until the heater is warm. In summer the AC will use lots of electricity. Turning AC off will help.

The computer looks atEngine temperature
Internal temperature settings
Battery charge level Amongst other things before turning engine on and off.

Tried this many times, no help.
In this case the MG1 spins the ICE, there’s no gasoline injected.
Old 01-27-23, 05:55 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Prado
Es 350 from my experience = zero

some posters have mentioned transmission or squeaks , I have had none except for on rattle from glove box which was quickly fixed by dealer. Then again my Es 350 f sport is built in Japan.

the only thing you need to consider if you like total comfort, then go for regular ES and it is the most quiet. F sport looks much better but suffers from road noise and a firmer ride. I am ok with firmer ride but not with road noise which is largely due to noisy Dunlop sport max tyres that came with the car.

hybrid doesn’t sound or feel great compared to v6, the v6 is butter smooth

But do a test drive all versions ie f sport , regular and hybrid that best suits your preference
I just bought 2019 es 350 3 weeks ago I was looking for the one built in Japan but no luck, I do see a lot of imperfection with the made in USA door panels not matching hood and fenders doesn’t aligned so many stuff passed Quality control I don’t know how !!? Did you ever notice anything with the J ones ?
Old 01-28-23, 01:39 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by User 122922
I just bought 2019 es 350 3 weeks ago I was looking for the one built in Japan but no luck, I do see a lot of imperfection with the made in USA door panels not matching hood and fenders doesn’t aligned so many stuff passed Quality control I don’t know how !!? Did you ever notice anything with the J ones ?
Correct me if im wrong, but I believe for that model year, the only ones built in Japan were the hybrid version. I have the hybrid built-in japan version, and i dont see any of that.
Old 01-28-23, 02:08 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

2019 was the first year of this body and chassis.

There are ALWAYS issues with first year vehicles and buyers must buy knowing and accepting that.

My 2020 ESh , made in USA doesn't have any of the issues you mentioned.
The following users liked this post:
LS500Fan (01-28-23)

Quick Reply: 2019+ ES. Any problems?