ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019+ ES. Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 11:10 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 760 Posts
Default 2019+ ES. Any problems?

I’m looking to purchase a 2019+ ES or ESh.

Any common problems/glitches?
Old 03-05-21, 02:36 PM
Gr8Car4Me
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not one single problem with the car. I totally love the vehicle.

So does my wife. As far as I can figure it seems I just own the car. My wife drives it. Something you might want to think about since you are considering such a nice car...
Old 03-05-21, 05:23 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Transmission is quirky and jerky at times. No issue if you're a highway cruiser but stop n go not so much fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
rebel7254 (03-05-21), YumpinYiminy (12-18-23)
Old 03-06-21, 04:11 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

How the Enform operates? Does it have a data sim card inside?
Old 03-06-21, 04:31 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

2020 ESh . Only 6 months old, but happy so far. SIM is embedded. 2020+ comes with 3 years of Lexus services. 2019 came with 1 yr.

in Canada the only thing the SIM does is vehicle data communication. There are no Enform apps.
CarPlay and Android Auto work well. I even don't mind the touch pad, specially work Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. You barely use that since Siri and Google assistant are much, much, much better than anything any car maker can make.

As a bonus, the car is like a tank in snow with snow tires. Drive through few snow storms without an issue.
Old 03-06-21, 04:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts

First look at Lexus's dependability. J D Power has ranked them over the last eleven years #1 nine times and #2 twice. No other car manufacturer is anywhere close to that consistency. They are back to #1 from #2 in the just released 2021 ranking. The ES has consistently been ranked the most reliable mid-size premium car. Attached from last year the ES achieved the highest score ever for dependability in J D Power's 31 years. . We are on out second one and have not had one problem.

https://automotivemap.com/jd-power-d...2#rebelltitem2
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
DavidZ (03-06-21), F3Woody (01-05-23)
Old 03-06-21, 10:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Transmission is quirky and jerky at times. No issue if you're a highway cruiser but stop n go not so much fun.
Worth noting this complaint has only been lodged against the standard ES 350. Those of us with the ES 350h have no such complaints. Be sure to drive both so you can see the differences for yourself.

Last edited by TechNut; 03-07-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 10:37 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

300h is smooth because there’s no changing gears.
I’m a bit afraid to get the 350 because of the transmission. Plus, there are only 9 300h’s in the USA under 35000.
Old 03-06-21, 12:07 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Have had our 350 ES for a few weeks now. Very pleased with it in all respects. Typically, I return to dealer after having a new car for a few weeks with my list of things that require adjustment or repair or replacement. When it comes to cars, I’m an ultra-perfectionist. But with our new Lexus, I’ve looked and listened very hard and been unable to find a single thing to complain about.
I wish the Apple Car Play were wireless. Some auto makes are. I missed that issue in doing my research before buying and I am displeased with visible cables. But I bought a 4 inch black cable and it’s hardly visible.
I almost bought a BMW but when I test drove it and had to tolerate that engine auto on-off thing, I ran the other way. What a nuisance and it’s got to be hard on the car over its lifetime. Also hate run-flat tires and sun roof that retracts OVER the roof.
CDillac was beautiful—-maybe nicer than the Lexus, but it’s reliability is questionable. Also doesn’t hold its value well.
Thrilled with this fine luxury Lexus 350 ES. Buy one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shaboom:
bdroc (03-10-21), Cmiller1111 (12-19-23)
Old 03-08-21, 06:17 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
First look at Lexus's dependability. J D Power has ranked them over the last eleven years #1 nine times and #2 twice. No other car manufacturer is anywhere close to that consistency. They are back to #1 from #2 in the just released 2021 ranking. The ES has consistently been ranked the most reliable mid-size premium car. Attached from last year the ES achieved the highest score ever for dependability in J D Power's 31 years. . We are on out second one and have not had one problem.

https://automotivemap.com/jd-power-d...2#rebelltitem2

This story and link are a year old.

Old 03-08-21, 06:32 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes, and calling the ES “compact”, the Regal “mid-size”, and the Avalon “large” really brings into question the credibility of the story.
The following users liked this post:
Prado (03-09-21)
Old 03-08-21, 06:35 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Yes, and calling the ES “compact”, the Regal “mid-size”, and the Avalon “large” really brings into question the credibility of the story.

Yeah I saw that part about the ES being called a compact. Your right it didn't make sense!
Old 03-08-21, 08:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
That's truly comical.
Old 03-08-21, 10:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Even the IIHS calls the Avalon and Genesis G70 "large" but the ES mid size... which makes zero sense.

Anyway as far as my 2021 ES hybrid, I like it. 450 miles on it though so need more time to drive it.

So far i'm getting 3 distinct rattles/squeaks.

1) HVAC control panel -- solved by taking it apart and insulating it
2) Radio - plan to solve, but will require more extensive disassembly of the dash. To do at a later date
3) B pillar panel, there's a plastic rattle behind the b pillar panel where it meets the fabric b pillar upper panel. it's annoying. rattles over sharp bumps.

Other issues or annoyances:

Both driver and passenger windows seriously etched on the outside. Solved by machine polisher and cutting compound. Can only see it really in strong outside sunlight. glass is perfectly clear now. Either the factory did this or the dealer.
Center armrest sort of squeaks as you lean on it.
The brake pedal can sometimes thud or click as you come to a stop. Only does it half the time, such as when you let the foot off the brake then reapply in trying to modulate. could just be inherent to this specific hybrid brake system where friction brakes engaged. my CT hybrid did not do this. Not a big deal, just annoying.
Paint is noticeably super sensitive to scratching. you look at it wrong and it'll scratch. more care/caution should be taken when washing/detailing and/or even touching or rubbing the paint. super super sensitive

Overall so far I love the car. Super quiet super smooth, looks great. it's just obvious in certain areas Lexus cut quality in material thinness or assembly, especially compared with older models who used notably thicker/more robust pannels/clips/parts/rivets. I believe Lexus is trying to ride a razor thin edge on where they can cost cut without impeding into perceptible quality. in some areas based on what i'm seeing, i think they are trying to go a bit too far where rattles and squeaks are popping up in high contact, highly audible places.
Old 03-09-21, 05:13 PM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
I’m looking to purchase a 2019+ ES or ESh.

Any common problems/glitches?

Es 350 from my experience = zero

some posters have mentioned transmission or squeaks , I have had none except for on rattle from glove box which was quickly fixed by dealer. Then again my Es 350 f sport is built in Japan.

the only thing you need to consider if you like total comfort, then go for regular ES and it is the most quiet. F sport looks much better but suffers from road noise and a firmer ride. I am ok with firmer ride but not with road noise which is largely due to noisy Dunlop sport max tyres that came with the car.

hybrid doesn’t sound or feel great compared to v6, the v6 is butter smooth

But do a test drive all versions ie f sport , regular and hybrid that best suits your preference
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (01-04-23)

Quick Reply: 2019+ ES. Any problems?