ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 09:18 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Not even close to accurate.
It's very accurate for me. Never even thought about this topic until I read about it in this forum.
The following users liked this post:
debtfree1 (03-17-21)
Old 03-13-21, 05:41 PM
Prado
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian2k
Just curious how of you out there experience the jerky transmission issue with the non-hybrid ES?

no jerkiness,

transmission is the smoothest I have experienced.

Note I have a Japan made one don’t know if that makes any difference
debtfree1 (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21, 05:01 PM
debtfree1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not yet own a es350. But plan to order one in the next 7 days. I recently took a 2021 es350 premium for a somewhat lengthy test drive. Here are my thoughts..... Transmission shift points are very quick and seem to be precise. If your foot is always on and off the throttle you won’t be happy. This transmission likes speed maintain type driving not hot shot driving. It’s a luxury car not a damn sports car. If you drive the Lexus like you would a rental car from hertz, don’t buy a luxury car. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-20-21, 06:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by debtfree1
I do not yet own a es350. But plan to order one in the next 7 days. I recently took a 2021 es350 premium for a somewhat lengthy test drive. Here are my thoughts..... Transmission shift points are very quick and seem to be precise. If your foot is always on and off the throttle you won’t be happy. This transmission likes speed maintain type driving not hot shot driving. It’s a luxury car not a damn sports car. If you drive the Lexus like you would a rental car from hertz, don’t buy a luxury car. Just my 2 cents worth.
Having owned my ES for nearly 2 1/2 years and 30k+ miles, I can assure you that the jerkiness of the trans has nothing to do with driving style.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
debtfree1 (03-20-21), es250fsport (04-24-24)
Old 03-20-21, 06:48 PM
debtfree1
Rookie

Having owned my ES for nearly 2 1/2 years and 30k+ miles, I can assure you that the jerkiness of the trans has nothing to do with driving style.
I have 2 million miles of driving under my belt both commercial petroleum transportation and my personal vehicles. I didn’t experience any unusual hard downshifts while on my test drive.
please do describe the jerkiness you’re experiencing.
Old 03-21-21, 02:54 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Hundreds of complaints all over the internet but based on a test drive you know this transmission is fine...just a bunch of complainers who do not know how to drive. Well, all I can say is good-luck. I have purchased 8 brand new Lexus and Toyota vehicles going back to 1974 - Corolla, Tercel, Cressida, 4Runner, RX300, LS400, Avalon and ES350. The ES350 is, as Chingachgook says, a breed apart. When you buy your new ES, ask them to throw in some spurs and chaps. Yippee ki-yay!

Last edited by artbuc; 03-21-21 at 03:05 AM.
debtfree1 (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 08:16 AM
debtfree1
Rookie

Originally Posted by artbuc
Hundreds of complaints all over the internet but based on a test drive you know this transmission is fine...just a bunch of complainers who do not know how to drive. Well, all I can say is good-luck. I have purchased 8 brand new Lexus and Toyota vehicles going back to 1974 - Corolla, Tercel, Cressida, 4Runner, RX300, LS400, Avalon and ES350. The ES350 is, as Chingachgook says, a breed apart. When you buy your new ES, ask them to throw in some spurs and chaps. Yippee ki-yay!
Transmissions shift gears. You are going to feel gears shift in a conventional transmission. I don’t care what brand it is. Maybe it’s the fuel mapping and not the transmission. We both live in PA, why don’t we meet and you show me the issue so I can feel it. If it slams into gear one time, I’ll buy you dinner. 😎
Old 03-21-21, 08:55 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Transmissions shift gears. You are going to feel gears shift in a conventional transmission. I don’t care what brand it is. Maybe it’s the fuel mapping and not the transmission. We both live in PA, why don’t we meet and you show me the issue so I can feel it. If it slams into gear one time, I’ll buy you dinner. 😎
No thanks...not interested in proving anything to anybody. Hope you enjoy your new ES.
debtfree1 (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 09:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

No issue with upshifts. Read the complaints. It's the downshift to 1 as you slow down for a stop sign etc. It is horrendous. Great if you don't experience it. Must be my driving style. I will start driving through stop signs to see if that resolves the issue😮
Old 03-21-21, 09:49 AM
debtfree1
Rookie

Originally Posted by artbuc
No thanks...not interested in proving anything to anybody. Hope you enjoy your new ES.
it’s not that i don’t believe you, just wanted to feel the issue for myself. That’s all.
Old 03-21-21, 09:52 AM
debtfree1
Rookie

No issue with upshifts. Read the complaints. It's the downshift to 1 as you slow down for a stop sign etc. It is horrendous. Great if you don't experience it. Must be my driving style. I will start driving through stop signs to see if that resolves the issue😮
Smart ***! 😀 Are you a fast driver? Hard on brakes? If you fly up to a stop sign 45mph and start slowing down 50 yards before, then I’m sure you will get hard shifts. Try driving the car a little slower In the city and see if things change. Adjust your style of driving and just see if it changes. Keep an open mind.
Old 03-21-21, 09:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Smart ***! 😀 Are you a fast driver? Hard on brakes? If you fly up to a stop sign 45mph and start slowing down 50 yards before, then I’m sure you will get hard shifts. Try driving the car a little slower In the city and see if things change. Adjust your style of driving and just see if it changes. Keep an open mind.
You seem to be the jack-ss here.
Old 03-21-21, 12:52 PM
debtfree1
Rookie

You seem to be the jack-ss here.
far from it! I’m just saying sporty driving doesn’t match the es350 very well. It’s a luxury car. Try driving it a little slower in the city. I think the transmission will adjust. Might work and it might not. I’m just trying to open up minds. Most people struggle with contentment. We are buying Lexuses not Million dollar cars. Its cheaper to learn the car and adjust driving habits then to sell the car or trade as a loss.
Old 03-21-21, 08:14 PM
rebel7254
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My driving style isn’t aggressive/sporty at all, and the shifting in the ES 350 was so off putting that, after coming here and learning of all the complaints, I traded it in for a ES 300h two weeks later. The deal cost me an extra $7k because of depreciation but I don’t regret it.

Maybe yours will be fine or you’re just not as sensitive to it as I (and apparently many others are). Good luck with it.
Old 03-22-21, 12:34 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rebel7254
My driving style isn’t aggressive/sporty at all, and the shifting in the ES 350 was so off putting that, after coming here and learning of all the complaints, I traded it in for a ES 300h two weeks later. The deal cost me an extra $7k because of depreciation but I don’t regret it.

Maybe yours will be fine or you’re just not as sensitive to it as I (and apparently many others are). Good luck with it.
Were you flying up to stop signs doing 45 then slamming on your brakes 50 yards from your stop? Did you ever try driving in a city at slow speeds? Were you keeping an open mind? How old are you? Did you take Driver’s Ed in school? Maybe you just needed some more driving experience.

Last edited by artbuc; 03-22-21 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?