ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 07:05 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I try to forget how awful this trans is but then I drive my wife's RX and realize what a silky smooth trans is supposed to feel like. Fuel pump swap will have no impact on this issue.
Why torture yourself so? Dump it and get something that doesn't annoy you.
Old 03-30-21, 07:11 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

I try to forget how awful this trans is but then I drive my wife's RX and realize what a silky smooth trans is supposed to feel like. Fuel pump swap will have no impact on this issue.
Mike, I feel precisely the same about my wife’s MDX. I used to hate driving that car compared to my 99 Avalon. Now I am amazed at how smooth and powerful the MDX is compared to my ES. A world of difference.
Old 03-30-21, 08:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Why torture yourself so? Dump it and get something that doesn't annoy you.
Waiting for the new RX in 2023. Then I take her RX for my daily commute and she gets the new model.
Old 03-30-21, 08:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by artbuc
Mike, I feel precisely the same about my wife’s MDX. I used to hate driving that car compared to my 99 Avalon. Now I am amazed at how smooth and powerful the MDX is compared to my ES. A world of difference.
I like the look of the new MDX but would worry a bit about Acura reliability so I'm not steering my wife in that direction (yet)..
Old 03-30-21, 06:02 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Prado
I was surprised by every one's comments here stating that there is jerkiness from the transmission. I drive my YE 2020 F sport 350 every day and it is very smooth and even I have other people with transmission back ground check they had the same conclusion.

could it be my is a Japan made?
I had the same reaction as you. In fact, I spent about a month driving around trying to find fault with the transmission. Eventually, I was able to reproduce the problem they were talking about. I slowed down from about 25 mph to 15 mph and then hit the gas pedal hard. The transmission hesitated and then lurched as it downshifted.

But that's not how I drive. When I want power, I ease on the gas pedal until I feel the transmission kick in (which happens very quickly with a soft foot) and then let it rip by easing into it more. I get more acceleration out of the car doing it that way compared to using a heavy foot. I find the gas pedal to be very sensitive, responsive and well-calibrated. It works much better when used the way I described.

My ES was assembled in Kentucky.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavidZ:
debtfree1 (03-30-21), Prado (04-05-21)
Old 03-30-21, 08:15 PM
debtfree1
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I’ve said before, the es350 is a sedan and needs to be driven softly and smoothly. It’s not engineered for aggressive driving. Period! There is nothing wrong with the current transmissions. If there was, Lexus would correct it. Drive the damn car smoothly or go buy a race car or something more sporty. End of story!
Old 03-31-21, 03:17 AM
artbuc
Instructor

I like the look of the new MDX but would worry a bit about Acura reliability so I'm not steering my wife in that direction (yet)..
Not a fan of Honda either but my wife fell in love with it compared to the RX. She loved her 99 RX300 but hated the 2019 model...small, cramped and under powered compared to the X. Honda screwed the pooch with the VCM engine but it is easily defeated with the Muzzler.
Old 03-31-21, 03:22 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by debtfree1
Like I’ve said before, the es350 is a sedan and needs to be driven softly and smoothly. It’s not engineered for aggressive driving. Period! There is nothing wrong with the current transmissions. If there was, Lexus would correct it. Drive the damn car smoothly or go buy a race car or something more sporty. End of story!
Thx for the advice. Post a few dozen more times so no one misses it. Believe it or not, there are many times you are in stop/go traffic where you can’t come to complete stop and have to accelerate to safely move with traffic. This is normal driving for many people. I have owned many cars which handle this with ease. The ES does not, period.
The following 3 users liked this post by artbuc:
bc6152 (04-02-21), kalel2127 (03-31-21), Prado (04-05-21)
Old 03-31-21, 04:04 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by artbuc
...there are many times you are in stop/go traffic where you can’t come to complete stop and have to accelerate to safely move with traffic.
Of course. And how you deploy the gas pedal makes all the difference.

This is normal driving for many people. I have owned many cars which handle this with ease. The ES does not, period.
Have you considered adjusting the way you deploy the gas pedal?
The following users liked this post:
debtfree1 (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 05:46 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Of course. And how you deploy the gas pedal makes all the difference.

Have you considered adjusting the way you deploy the gas pedal?
Having to consciously and carefully modulate acceleration to avoid whiplash is not my idea of a nice riding car. Yes, I can do it but it is work. When I get in my wife’s MDX, or any other car I have ever owned, I just drive and enjoy. I used to think I had learned to subconsciously and automatically modulate the accelerator so that driving my ES was no longer a chore. However, as soon as I drive my wife’s car, I realize how much my ES sucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by artbuc:
bc6152 (04-01-21), kalel2127 (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 06:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by debtfree1
So slowing down for a full stop sign is now aggressive driving. Hmmmmmmm
Old 03-31-21, 06:55 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

So slowing down for a full stop sign is now aggressive driving. Hmmmmmmm
What are you talking about? What happens to you when you "slow down for a full stop sign?"
debtfree1 (03-31-21)
Old 03-31-21, 07:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

What are you talking about? What happens to you when you "slow down for a full stop sign?"
The whiplash downshift. Absolutely awful.
bc6152 (04-01-21)
Old 03-31-21, 07:29 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

The whiplash downshift. Absolutely awful.
Just from stopping?! I've never experienced that one. Could you provide a more detailed scenario for me to replicate it?
Old 03-31-21, 07:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Just from stopping?! I've never experienced that one. Could you provide a more detailed scenario for me to replicate it?
Read the first few posts in this thread. You can't miss it:

The worst time I experience the jerks are when slowing down in city traffic, like coming to a stop light. When the light turns green and I'm still going 15-20 mph, if I try to speed back up, I get a big jerk as the transmission downshifts. If I stay very light on the accelerator, it doesn't do that, but it also takes a long time to get back up to speed. I don't think this is uncommon in automatics with more than 6 speeds, but it's not very "luxurious" for a luxury car.

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?