ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 09:27 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Read the first few posts in this thread. You can't miss it:

The worst time I experience the jerks are when slowing down in city traffic, like coming to a stop light. When the light turns green and I'm still going 15-20 mph, if I try to speed back up, I get a big jerk as the transmission downshifts. If I stay very light on the accelerator, it doesn't do that, but it also takes a long time to get back up to speed. I don't think this is uncommon in automatics with more than 6 speeds, but it's not very "luxurious" for a luxury car.
Yes, I read those. You're not talking about stopping, You're talking about accelerating after slowing down. Correct?

That's precisely the issue I addressed in post #50 above.
Old 03-31-21, 09:46 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Seems some Camry/Avalon owners experience the same issue and a TSB was issued for a reprogram. But appears it's still happening to newer Lexus models too. Maybe this TSB reprogram wasn't applied to Lexus models officially cause not enough people complained?

https://www.toyotanation.com/attachm...17-pdf.224550/

Old 03-31-21, 09:49 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

I have an 2008 Tundra and sometimes I feel like it is going to break my neck when that happens. Good example is slowing down for a yield sign and then pressing on gas. This is a real problem with toyota-lexus and has not and will not be fixed. My 2001 LS 430 is exactly opposite where is extremely sluggish in that situation. I have to reset transmission and keep in sport mode every few months by undoing battery cable to make more responsive. I also have a 2020 ES300h with different transmission and perfect. Haven't driven the ES350 but know exactly what you are talking about.
Old 03-31-21, 09:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,657 Posts

^ Agree. I love the e-CVT (not a CVT, nor a "transmission") of the ES hybrid. Completely smooth, seamless, in all conditions. Very responsive too. Feels like a traditional transmission in terms of response. (Unlike past Prius/CT200h) which were really rubberbandy and would barely respond when you floor it.

Toyota did a great job with the new A25AFXS e-CVT.
Old 03-31-21, 11:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Yes, I read those. You're not talking about stopping, You're talking about accelerating after slowing down. Correct?

That's precisely the issue I addressed in post #50 above.
Same damn thing. If you do come to a complete stop, the downshift is harsh. If you just slow down, the jerking is even worse. I think we've made our point. New subject - How about those Gonzaga Bulldogs
Old 03-31-21, 05:33 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Same damn thing. If you do come to a complete stop, the downshift is harsh. If you just slow down, the jerking is even worse. I think we've made our point. New subject - How about those Gonzaga Bulldogs
Clearly, both sides have made their points. Your comment about stopping was confusing. The issue is not about stopping or slowing down. It's about accelerating after stopping or slowing down. Or more precisely, how you deploy the gas pedal when accelerating after stopping or slowing down.
Old 03-31-21, 05:47 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Clearly, both sides have made their points. Your comment about stopping was confusing. The issue is not about stopping or slowing down. It's about accelerating after stopping or slowing down. Or more precisely, how you deploy the gas pedal when accelerating after stopping or slowing down.
Ppplllllease there's nothing confusing at all here. I don't see anything in the owner's manual about "how to deploy the gas pedal to avoid motion sickness". THE TRANS IN THIS CAR SUCKS. Bye.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
bc6152 (04-01-21), rebel7254 (04-01-21)
Old 03-31-21, 06:11 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

I feel the jerking in mine, too, at starting out up to 35 mph or so. Just turned 1,000 miles after 6 weeks.
Class action?
Old 04-01-21, 05:17 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shaboom
I feel the jerking in mine, too, at starting out up to 35 mph or so. Just turned 1,000 miles after 6 weeks.
Class action?
I am going to press the dealer next time I'm in there for an oil change. Probably an exercise in futility but nothing to lose. I took a look at the Avalon forum and same complaints there.
Old 04-01-21, 07:34 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I am going to press the dealer next time I'm in there for an oil change. Probably an exercise in futility but nothing to lose. I took a look at the Avalon forum and same complaints there.
Yes, it's probably futile.

Reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke. “The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor says, "Then don't do that!”
Old 04-01-21, 07:54 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, it's probably futile.

Reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke. “The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." The doctor says, "Then don't do that!”
Or "I hear a noise when I make right turns" "Just drive in circles to the left UUUggghh you can only laugh at these things in the end.
The following users liked this post:
debtfree1 (04-01-21)
Old 04-01-21, 05:07 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by artbuc
Having to consciously and carefully modulate acceleration to avoid whiplash is not my idea of a nice riding car. Yes, I can do it but it is work. When I get in my wife’s MDX, or any other car I have ever owned, I just drive and enjoy. I used to think I had learned to subconsciously and automatically modulate the accelerator so that driving my ES was no longer a chore. However, as soon as I drive my wife’s car, I realize how much my ES sucks.
OK, I hear ya. Fortunately, for me, my default driving style is in perfect harmony with the car. As I said before, I was surprised by these jerky transmission comments and had to experiment to reproduce the problem. In contrast with all the complaints in this thread, I find the 7ES drive train to be a joy that I look forward to each time I drive the car. To me, the gas pedal is very precise and powerful.

Believe me, there's nothing "old lady-like" about my driving style. I'm a very spirited driver. I learned to drive at age 17 delivering my father's shipments from Union City, NJ (the east end of the Lincoln Tunnel) to the garment district in NYC. The avenues of NYC are a great a training ground for real world driving. My current driving style is not much different now.
The following users liked this post:
debtfree1 (04-02-21)
Old 04-01-21, 05:25 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I hear ya. Fortunately, for me, my default driving style is in perfect harmony with the car. As I said before, I was surprised by these jerky transmission comments and had to experiment to reproduce the problem. In contrast with all the complaints in this thread, I find the 7ES drive train to be a joy that I look forward to each time I drive the car. To me, the gas pedal is very precise and powerful.

Believe me, there's nothing "old lady-like" about my driving style. I'm a very spirited driver. I learned to drive at age 17 delivering my father's shipments from Union City, NJ (the east end of the Lincoln Tunnel) to the garment district in NYC. The avenues of NYC are a great a training ground for real world driving. My current driving style is not much different now.
Just imagine driving the ES in midtown Manhattan😣 For me, the only salvation is my daily commute is a 20 mile stretch of highway so the jerking is not a constant issue.
Old 04-01-21, 05:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

After reading 71 posts (and counting) in this thread, my main take-away from reading the last 60 or so posts is that I am wondering how many times the same 3 or 4 people can keep saying the same things over and over again.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
Ltvscout (04-01-21), TechNut (04-02-21)
Old 04-01-21, 05:36 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Just imagine driving the ES in midtown Manhattan😣 For me, the only salvation is my daily commute is a 20 mile stretch of highway so the jerking is not a constant issue.
I can easily imagine that. I currently live in an area that's a blend of urban and suburban. Lot's of opportunities to utilize all the skills I learned in NYC. My bigger concerns about driving my 7ES in NYC would be the potholes and bottoming out by going too fast over some of the hilly avenues.

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?