ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 02:34 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
After reading 71 posts (and counting) in this thread, my main take-away from reading the last 60 or so posts is that I am wondering how many times the same 3 or 4 people can keep saying the same things over and over again.

As one of the 3 or 4, I was thinking the same thing, lol. I’m out!
Old 04-02-21, 03:57 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

It would be a plus if it could be adjusted somehow. If anyone finds out info or gets it done please let us know...
Old 04-04-21, 04:26 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2019 ES 350 F-Sport (Kentucky build) with just over 12K miles on it. Always drive in Sport mode and do drive somewhat aggressive at times to maneuver around some idiot drivers in South Florida. For me, I really don't feel any jerkiness or abnormalities with the transmission. Seems rather smooth and downshifts well at highway speeds if I need to pass a slow driver in the left lane aggressively (again, typical in South Florida LOL). That's my two cents.

Sorry about the South Florida humor. Originally from NY and actually I do love it down here. But the driving can be adventurous at times. Driving in NYC was life threatening so I shouldn't complain.
Old 04-04-21, 06:42 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 523 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno
I have a 2019 ES 350 F-Sport (Kentucky build) with just over 12K miles on it. Always drive in Sport mode and do drive somewhat aggressive at times to maneuver around some idiot drivers in South Florida. For me, I really don't feel any jerkiness or abnormalities with the transmission. Seems rather smooth and downshifts well at highway speeds if I need to pass a slow driver in the left lane aggressively (again, typical in South Florida LOL). That's my two cents.

Sorry about the South Florida humor. Originally from NY and actually I do love it down here. But the driving can be adventurous at times. Driving in NYC was life threatening so I shouldn't complain.
Hello back from Southern Florida (Marco Island). I know what you mean about the idiot drivers, mostly those who visit here seasonally.
My 2021 350 ES does fine, too, though I can feel the first three gear up shifts. Sport mode also eliminates the symptom for me. I’m not complaining about my new car and CERTAINLY not complaining about spending winters in souther Florida!😎
Old 04-04-21, 08:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by acotugno

Born and raised NYC. Spend time these days in SOFL west coast but Miami is definitely the worst. Worked there for roughly 18 months a few years back and it was worse than NYC by a longshot😣
Old 01-04-23, 11:47 AM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wanted to bump this somewhat old thread with my experience.

I am a longtime MB/BMW driver who switched to the ES350 due to my E-Class being written off (that car drove like a dream, notwithstanding it was a few years old). I replaced my beloved E-Class with a 2020 ES350 Premium.

Since the day after I bought the car and drove in rush hour traffic, I could feel a noticeable jerk at low speeds. This was accelerating and deaccelerating generally the 1st and 2nd gears it seemed. Coming to a stop, it almost felt like the car was about to stall like a manual (I see others have the same sensation). Taking off, the first gear change happens quickly and produces a noticeable jerk.

In rush hour traffic, if I apply the gas to increase RPMs very slowly up to about 1800, the car will shift around that point (keeping the RPMs the same) and then momentarily after the first shift, the car lurches forward (i.e., a jerk). Of course, in rush hour traffic, I have to slow down immediately after the first gear change (since it is a short gear) and then repeat the process again. In addition, around 50-60kmh, if I were to take my foot off the gas for a second to de-accelerate (where a brake is not warranted) and then reapply the gas, another jerk.

I brought the car into my local Lexus dealer many, many times for this issue. Each time they told me it was "normal" and they couldn't find anything wrong. The reset the transmission memory/drive logic to no avail. In fact, the dealer tried to blame it on the "Flex Start Control" module control, whereby the "clutch is operated at a high rate during initial takeoff and the SLU solenoid is enabled during initial start-off".

Of course, this doesn't quite make sense because we're talking about the 1st gear change, not take-off (i.e., from 0RPM - 1800RPM), but I digress.

Yesterday, after finally capitulating and opening a case with Lexus Canada, the dealership gave me an ES350 while they sent diagnostic data to Lexus Canada and worked on my car. The loaner I received was a 2022 ES350 F-Sport. I cannot stress this enough, that the 2022 model I received was perfect. Yes, I felt gear changes slightly (as one does in any non-CVT), but there was no jerk. It shifted smoothly, consistently, and didn't feel like I was riding a manual transmission when re-applying the gas or coming to a stop.

Notwithstanding that the loaner was the exact same car from a mechanical and software standpoint, the Lexus dealer stood firm saying that "all diagnostic data was OK that we sent to Lexus Canada". I responded by asking them why I can feel a massive difference (i.e., the cars were night and day) and they shrugged and said they've done everything and Lexus Canada only considers diagnostic data (i.e., they aren't here to drive the car or feel the jerkiness or test drive both cars back to back).

It seems that Lexus has so many diagnostic systems in place and relies on diagnostic data to pinpoint all issues rather than the "old school" method of just getting in the car, noticing something is wrong, and then trying to figure out what. They are wearing blinders to the fact the car does not drive the same or even close to a model that is purported to be the exact same mechanically and technically (in all relevant aspects).

For greater certainty: I tried everything over the past year, including changing my driving style to be slower, faster, and everything in between, and even trying to accommodate this poor excuse for a transmission by changing the way I accelerate or stop. Nothing worked; this is not about driving style. There is definitely an issue, as evidenced by my driving two ES350s back to back and noticing a difference with the same driving style.

At this point, I now know that there are defective ES350s out there and ones that are normal. It is incumbent on Lexus to stand up for their products and fix this issue.

I am waiting on a call from Lexus Canada to let them know, even though they reset the drive logic/transmission memory (yet again), the issue remains the same and that the newer ES350 did not have this problem at all (in fact, it was a joy to drive).

This is likely to be my last Lexus, ever. And likely my first lawsuit with an automaker.

Apologies for the long-rant, but I am quite disgusted with the customer service I have received and the fact I have purchased a very expensive lemon, and nobody is willing to make it right.

The following 2 users liked this post by patekwis:
BBQapple (01-24-23), F3Woody (01-04-23)
Old 01-04-23, 12:08 PM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis

I am a longtime MB/BMW driver who switched to the ES350 due to my E-Class being written off (that car drove like a dream, notwithstanding it was a few years old). I replaced my beloved E-Class with a 2020 ES350 Premium.

Apologies for the long-rant, but I am quite disgusted with the customer service I have received and the fact I have purchased a very expensive lemon, and nobody is willing to make it right.
Man, I'm sorry to hear this, but I know your frustration. I had the same exact issue with my 2018 Acura TLX. Occasional hang up/delay between gear shift followed by a lurch or sometimes a HARD audible clunk into gear. The first time I took it in to Acura they acknowledged it (because I was in the car when it happened on the test drive), did the computer reset and sent me on my way. The problem persisted. But like you, every time I brought it in they relied only on computer data and said their hands were tied unless they could replicate it, which of course they never could.
Obviously this is extremely rare for either brand, but clearly a narrow reliance on computer readouts and shows that new technology is never perfect.
I spent a lot of time researching the issue online but couldn't find any widespread instances, so I just got rid of the car. Sad.
Old 01-20-23, 09:41 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Since the day after I bought the car and drove in rush hour traffic, I could feel a noticeable jerk at low speeds. This was accelerating and deaccelerating generally the 1st and 2nd gears it seemed. Coming to a stop, it almost felt like the car was about to stall like a manual (I see others have the same sensation). Taking off, the first gear change happens quickly and produces a noticeable jerk.

In rush hour traffic, if I apply the gas to increase RPMs very slowly up to about 1800, the car will shift around that point (keeping the RPMs the same) and then momentarily after the first shift, the car lurches forward (i.e., a jerk). Of course, in rush hour traffic, I have to slow down immediately after the first gear change (since it is a short gear) and then repeat the process again. In addition, around 50-60kmh, if I were to take my foot off the gas for a second to de-accelerate (where a brake is not warranted) and then reapply the gas, another jerk.

I brought the car into my local Lexus dealer many, many times for this issue. Each time they told me it was "normal" and they couldn't find anything wrong. The reset the transmission memory/drive logic to no avail. In fact, the dealer tried to blame it on the "Flex Start Control" module control, whereby the "clutch is operated at a high rate during initial takeoff and the SLU solenoid is enabled during initial start-off".

Of course, this doesn't quite make sense because we're talking about the 1st gear change, not take-off (i.e., from 0RPM - 1800RPM), but I digress.

Yesterday, after finally capitulating and opening a case with Lexus Canada, the dealership gave me an ES350 while they sent diagnostic data to Lexus Canada and worked on my car. The loaner I received was a 2022 ES350 F-Sport. I cannot stress this enough, that the 2022 model I received was perfect. Yes, I felt gear changes slightly (as one does in any non-CVT), but there was no jerk. It shifted smoothly, consistently, and didn't feel like I was riding a manual transmission when re-applying the gas or coming to a stop.

Notwithstanding that the loaner was the exact same car from a mechanical and software standpoint, the Lexus dealer stood firm saying that "all diagnostic data was OK that we sent to Lexus Canada". I responded by asking them why I can feel a massive difference (i.e., the cars were night and day) and they shrugged and said they've done everything and Lexus Canada only considers diagnostic data (i.e., they aren't here to drive the car or feel the jerkiness or test drive both cars back to back).

It seems that Lexus has so many diagnostic systems in place and relies on diagnostic data to pinpoint all issues rather than the "old school" method of just getting in the car, noticing something is wrong, and then trying to figure out what. They are wearing blinders to the fact the car does not drive the same or even close to a model that is purported to be the exact same mechanically and technically (in all relevant aspects).

For greater certainty: I tried everything over the past year, including changing my driving style to be slower, faster, and everything in between, and even trying to accommodate this poor excuse for a transmission by changing the way I accelerate or stop. Nothing worked; this is not about driving style. There is definitely an issue, as evidenced by my driving two ES350s back to back and noticing a difference with the same driving style.

At this point, I now know that there are defective ES350s out there and ones that are normal. It is incumbent on Lexus to stand up for their products and fix this issue.

I am waiting on a call from Lexus Canada to let them know, even though they reset the drive logic/transmission memory (yet again), the issue remains the same and that the newer ES350 did not have this problem at all (in fact, it was a joy to drive).

This is likely to be my last Lexus, ever. And likely my first lawsuit with an automaker.

This post both scares me and gives me hope. I really want a 2023 Lexus ES350 but after readng all the posts about the 8 speed transmission problems I'm frozen in indecision. It's not just the ES350 that has these complaints, it's every Toyotya model that uses this 8 speed transmission.

patekwis's post says the 2022 model he drove felt fine, so it sounds like maybe they fixed it? I'm trying to decide between the hybrid camry which everybody who owns loves (very smooth eCVT transmission) and the Lexus ES350. I would prefer the luxury of the Lexus and the Power of the V6 but not at the expense of harsh shifting.
It's mostly the reports of hesitiation when hitting the gas at low speeds and merging on highways that I'm concerned with.

So now what, is the problem fixed? I find it odd that there was not a single post in 2022 to this thread, so maybe they fixed it?

Last edited by hotwings; 01-20-23 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 10:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwings
This post both scares me and gives me hope. I really want a 2023 Lexus ES350 but after readng all the posts about the 8 speed transmission problems I'm frozen in indecision. It's not just the ES350 that has these complaints, it's every Toyotya model that uses this 8 speed transmission.

patekwis's post says the 2022 model he drove felt fine, so it sounds like maybe they fixed it? I'm trying to decide between the hybrid camry which everybody who owns loves (very smooth eCVT transmission) and the Lexus ES350. I would prefer the luxury of the Lexus and the Power of the V6 but not at the expense of harsh shifting.
It's mostly the reports of hesitiation when hitting the gas at low speeds and merging on highways that I'm concerned with.

So now what, is the problem fixed? I find it odd that there was not a single post in 2022 to this thread, so maybe they fixed it?
They don't all use the same 8 speed. RX for example has a different one - my wife's 2017 shifts silky smooth.
Old 01-20-23, 10:26 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

The complaints include Toyota Camry,Avalon,Highlander and other toyota models as well as Lexus ES350.
The RX as you know is Lexus, like I said it's every Toyota model that uses this 8 speed transmission

Last edited by hotwings; 01-21-23 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 10:50 AM
july1988
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I live with this everyday for 4 years, it's not that bad LOL I consider it as a feature that keep me awake if I'm ever sleepy LOL and that keep working harder and save up to get a better car LMAO. Joke a side, maybe there will be a recall campaign for them to fix this.
Old 01-20-23, 02:18 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

I'm going to keep my eye ont the Toyota Nations Forum for the 2022 Avalon to see if there are many complaints. Maybe they finally fixed it?
Old 01-24-23, 03:53 PM
patekwis
Driver

Test drive it first. In rush hour. Downtown. Something the dealer refused and failed to do, which is why I presume they cannot figure this out (other than just not caring).

It is infuriating to know that some of these cars are OK and some are not but that the dealers or Lexus won’t fix it, even if it’s very obvious.

Sadly, I have steered many family members and colleagues towards different brands because of this issue. It would have been cheaper for Lexus to replace the car altogether rather than lose that type of business.

Seems Lexus’ stance is to suck it up.
Old 01-24-23, 04:38 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Test drive it first. In rush hour. Downtown. Something the dealer refused and failed to do, which is why I presume they cannot figure this out (other than just not caring).

It is infuriating to know that some of these cars are OK and some are not but that the dealers or Lexus won’t fix it, even if it’s very obvious.

Sadly, I have steered many family members and colleagues towards different brands because of this issue. It would have been cheaper for Lexus to replace the car altogether rather than lose that type of business.

Seems Lexus’ stance is to suck it up.
Patekwis,

Did you get your transmission memory reflashed/erased per the TSB for this issue? Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts.
How did you resolve your problem? Are you still dealing with it? I would have contacted Toyota at the Corporate level since you clearly know the dealer loaner performed perfectly.
Did your problem get worse with time or was it there from the start? I assume you purchased the 2020 ES350 brand new.

It must be extremely frustrating especially in your case, the dealer is looking the other way since he can't point to an "error code". Too bad you couldn't take him for a ride in both cars to convince him.

That is an excellent idea, take the car for a test drive before making final payment. It's been so long since I bought a new car (2006) I forgot the details that you put a deposit down and pay the rest when taking delivery.
My hope would be that if there was a problem with the shifting of the transmission, it would show up on the test drive if I knew what to look for, and not get worse with time.

Last edited by hotwings; 01-24-23 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 05:56 AM
patekwis
Driver

Patekwis,

Did you get your transmission memory reflashed/erased per the TSB for this issue? Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts.
How did you resolve your problem? Are you still dealing with it? I would have contacted Toyota at the Corporate level since you clearly know the dealer loaner performed perfectly.
Did your problem get worse with time or was it there from the start? I assume you purchased the 2020 ES350 brand new.

It must be extremely frustrating especially in your case, the dealer is looking the other way since he can't point to an "error code". Too bad you couldn't take him for a ride in both cars to convince him.

That is an excellent idea, take the car for a test drive before making final payment. It's been so long since I bought a new car (2006) I forgot the details that you put a deposit down and pay the rest when taking delivery.
My hope would be that if there was a problem with the shifting of the transmission, it would show up on the test drive if I knew what to look for, and not get worse with time.
I am currently still dealing with it and quite unhappy. I am a “car guy” so this is very disappointing as I get no pleasure driving this thing.

They reset the drive logic twice and it didn’t help the rough first and second gear shifts.

Same issue since day 1.

I told Lexus Canada that the loaner was night and day to my car and they said, and this is their official explanation, that “the loaner has been driven by lots of people so it’s memory is different”.

I don’t know how a loaner with other users means that the shifting is smoother. If that’s the case, loan my car out.

Lexus Canada also told me that they have not had these complaints and they had to ask around to engineers if anyone knew of this issue.

They’re trying to say I am the only one in Canada complaining.

Not impressed.

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?