ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23 | 07:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I highly doubt some are defective and others are not. My guess is it's a design issue and either exacerbated or improved by the driving style it tries to adapt to. I've driven many ES loaners and they all felt the same to me. I agree though if you do lots of stop and go driving, this ain't the car to do it in.
Old 01-25-23 | 07:27 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by patekwis
I am currently still dealing with it and quite unhappy. I am a “car guy” so this is very disappointing as I get no pleasure driving this thing.

They reset the drive logic twice and it didn’t help the rough first and second gear shifts.

Same issue since day 1.

I told Lexus Canada that the loaner was night and day to my car and they said, and this is their official explanation, that “the loaner has been driven by lots of people so it’s memory is different”.

I don’t know how a loaner with other users means that the shifting is smoother. If that’s the case, loan my car out.

Lexus Canada also told me that they have not had these complaints and they had to ask around to engineers if anyone knew of this issue.

They’re trying to say I am the only one in Canada complaining.

Not impressed.
Wow, I'm blown away by the lousy responses you received by the dealer and by Corporate Lexus. You would have to tie me down I'd be so irate.

Just a few suggestions:

1. Go to a different Lexus dealer (attitudes in service departments vary in my experience) and start the process all over. I know this is a big pain. Your complaint is probably already recorded in a database, but you could play dumb and start out by insisting a mechanic drive with you while you demonstrate the problem. Have the mechanic document what he witnesses, even if he says it's "normal" operation. The mechanic will hopefully acknowledge the problem as a defect.

2. Have the second dealer perform the memory reflash again. It would not be the first time someone made the same mistake multiple times while operating complex electronic scanning/repair tools.

3. Contact an attorney that deals with Lemon laws. The clock is ticking, but it sounds like you have this on record within the car's drivetrain warranty. Lemon laws vary state to state in the US and in your case this is a messy path since the dealer technically has not repaired anything and is claiming there is no problem. This is messy, but might be worth at least one phone call.

4. Ditch the car like Post #34 rebel7254 suggested. It would be painful to take the initial hit, but in the long run you would not be aggravated by daily misery.

Last edited by hotwings; 01-25-23 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-25-23 | 08:21 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hotwings
Wow, I'm blown away by the lousy responses you received by the dealer and by Corporate Lexus. You would have to tie me down I'd be so irate.

Just a few suggestions:

1. Go to a different Lexus dealer (attitudes in service departments vary in my experience) and start the process all over. I know this is a big pain. Your complaint is probably already recorded in a database, but you could play dumb and start out by insisting a mechanic drive with you while you demonstrate the problem. Have the mechanic document what he witnesses, even if he says it's "normal" operation. The mechanic will hopefully acknowledge the problem as a defect.

2. Have the second dealer perform the memory reflash again. It would not be the first time someone made the same mistake multiple times while operating complex electronic scanning/repair tools.

3. Contact an attorney that deals with Lemon laws. The clock is ticking, but it sounds like you have this on record within the car's drivetrain warranty. Lemon laws vary state to state in the US and in your case this is a messy path since the dealer technically has not repaired anything and is claiming there is no problem. This is messy, but might be worth at least one phone call.

4. Ditch the car like Post #34 rebel7254 suggested. It would be painful to take the initial hit, but in the long run you would not be aggravated by daily misery.
Unlikely any lemon law comes into play here.
Old 01-25-23 | 08:49 AM
patekwis
Driver

Just a few suggestions:

Indeed.

When I picked up the car the last time, the service representative told me "do not drive in rush hour traffic for a month, so the computer can relearn your habits". I responded by stating that I am a lawyer who works downtown, so this 'ask' of me is impossible. Also, it is unclear how not driving in rush hour for a month would magically make things OK when I go back to driving in rush hour.

It is also not a solution considering the baseline of the car after a flash should be smooth.

Again, the loaner I drove was excellent. You could feel the shifts but they were very subtle and smooth, and not abrupt and intermittently tapping your head back to the headrest.

I even tried to reason with Lexus Canada and tell them that there are strings of threads like this and they told me that they cannot take that into account and won't even bother looking at the forums or links I sent.

Service so far has been atrocious. My "unreliable" Mercedes caused less headaches, sadly.
Old 01-25-23 | 10:13 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Indeed.

When I picked up the car the last time, the service representative told me "do not drive in rush hour traffic for a month, so the computer can relearn your habits". I responded by stating that I am a lawyer who works downtown, so this 'ask' of me is impossible. Also, it is unclear how not driving in rush hour for a month would magically make things OK when I go back to driving in rush hour.

It is also not a solution considering the baseline of the car after a flash should be smooth.

Again, the loaner I drove was excellent. You could feel the shifts but they were very subtle and smooth, and not abrupt and intermittently tapping your head back to the headrest.

I even tried to reason with Lexus Canada and tell them that there are strings of threads like this and they told me that they cannot take that into account and won't even bother looking at the forums or links I sent.

Service so far has been atrocious. My "unreliable" Mercedes caused less headaches, sadly.

My last suggestion would be to take it to an independent shop that specializes in transmissions - Ask them if they have dealt with the Lexus ES 350 model w/8 speed and if not, maybe they can provide a recommendation.
I had an experience with a 1995 corolla where the car made a horrible noise when it was put into Drive from Park. I figured the transmission was shot. I took it to a dealer and they told me yes the transmission was shot and said the car was not worth repairing.

I got a second opinion from an Independent Transmission Shop and they diagnosed an intermittently seized front axle shaft. $200 dollars later I was on my way and the car lasted 10+ more years, it had nothing to do with the transmission.Obviously yours probably is transmission realated, all I'm suggesting is dealer mechanics sometimes know less than a reputable independent and it might be worth a shot.

I still question whether the dealer performed the reflash properly. From what you have written, your current dealer has been much less than helpful to say the least.

Last edited by hotwings; 01-25-23 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-25-23 | 01:08 PM
patekwis
Driver

My last suggestion would be to take it to an independent shop that specializes in transmissions - Ask them if they have dealt with the Lexus ES 350 model w/8 speed and if not, maybe they can provide a recommendation.
I had an experience with a 1995 corolla where the car made a horrible noise when it was put into Drive from Park. I figured the transmission was shot. I took it to a dealer and they told me yes the transmission was shot and said the car was not worth repairing.

I got a second opinion from an Independent Transmission Shop and they diagnosed an intermittently seized front axle shaft. $200 dollars later I was on my way and the car lasted 10+ more years, it had nothing to do with the transmission.Obviously yours probably is transmission realated, all I'm suggesting is dealer mechanics sometimes know less than a reputable independent and it might be worth a shot.

I still question whether the dealer performed the reflash properly. From what you have written, your current dealer has been much less than helpful to say the least.
Yeah, they say they reset the transmission logic (I don't have the service records with me). But I don't know if that constitutes a "reflash", nor what the difference exactly would be.

Would be nice if there was a Lexus tech on here to give us the down-low on this stuff.
Old 01-25-23 | 01:37 PM
patekwis
Driver

So I was doing some research today and I noticed that the 2019 Camry owners have been complaining about the same issues we have.

Apparently, there is new software for a reflash: TSB: T-SB-0152-19 Rev1

Does anyone know if this would make its way over to Lexus? And, particularly, the V6?

Many owners who have had the reflash done exactly as per the TSB report that it is great to drive after.

I note that it doesn't apply to 2020 for some reason.

Last edited by patekwis; 01-25-23 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-26-23 | 06:05 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Anybody try changing the transmission fluid to another type? I love Royal Purple Max ATF.
Old 01-26-23 | 07:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingofire
Anybody try changing the transmission fluid to another type? I love Royal Purple Max ATF.
My answer is no but it would make zero difference for this issue.
Old 01-26-23 | 08:09 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My answer is no but it would make zero difference for this issue.
How so?

I have also been wondering more and more if the rough shifting from a stop into the first gear and possibly the hesitation going into the second gear may be alleviated with better or clean fluid. I am starting to think some models got a bad fill. But I don’t know for certain.

I think we have two issues here: the programming of the tranny which includes the torque converter lock and the other tech the dealer told me about, and the rough shifting generally.

maybe a fluid change would help. Anyone got a DIY for this?
Old 01-26-23 | 08:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

How so?

I have also been wondering more and more if the rough shifting from a stop into the first gear and possibly the hesitation going into the second gear may be alleviated with better or clean fluid. I am starting to think some models got a bad fill. But I don’t know for certain.

I think we have two issues here: the programming of the tranny which includes the torque converter lock and the other tech the dealer told me about, and the rough shifting generally.

maybe a fluid change would help. Anyone got a DIY for this?
I guess it's possible - who's going to be the guinea pig?
Old 01-26-23 | 08:28 AM
patekwis
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I guess it's possible - who's going to be the guinea pig?
If someone has a guide I’m happy to try it out if it’s a drain and fill.
Old 01-26-23 | 09:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Search the forum - there may be some threads on the DIY process. I know there is on the RX 4GEN forum. That's also an 8 speed but a different unit I believe.
Old 01-26-23 | 09:06 AM
n2it
Rookie

I think this applies: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxSu4-4ojo
Old 01-26-23 | 10:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't people say it jerks when new or shortly after new? If that's true, then the fluid wouldn't help

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?