ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models
View Poll Results: Have you experience any jerkiness in transmission of your ES350?
Yes
72.73%
No
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 11:19 AM
patekwis
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Didn't people say it jerks when new or shortly after new? If that's true, then the fluid wouldn't help
Unless, from the factory, it was improperly filled or the fluid was a bad batch that is still too thick when warm…?
Old 01-26-23, 05:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Didn't people say it jerks when new or shortly after new? If that's true, then the fluid wouldn't help
Oh yeah mine has done this from day one.
The following users liked this post:
hotwings (01-13-24)
Old 01-26-23, 05:59 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by patekwis
If someone has a guide I’m happy to try it out if it’s a drain and fill.
It's kind of a tedious procedure but this guy has a good Utube
I can't believe I've actually read some posts where dealers refused to perform a fluid change on the "sealed" 8 speed.

Last edited by hotwings; 01-26-23 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 06:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I'm becoming convinced that perhaps the best approach these days is to NOT touch the trans fluid. My buddy's 4Runner with 275K on the clock still with original fill.
F3Woody (01-27-23)
Old 01-27-23, 06:30 AM
F3Woody
Intermediate

Received 217 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'm becoming convinced that perhaps the best approach these days is to NOT touch the trans fluid. My buddy's 4Runner with 275K on the clock still with original fill.
May be something to this.
I had a 2003 Acura CL that was notorious for transmission failure and this topic was discussed, dissected and analyzed ad nauseam in online forums. The consensus, backed by a great deal of data, was that a trans fluid change could actually be a catalyst for damage. Something about how, over the years, the fluid picks up tiny contaminants, metal shavings, etc, but that the transmission actually "gets used to it". And by replacing that with a clean fluid, the whole system goes into "shock", resulting in failure.

It's been years since I was involved with this, I'm just recalling these terms by shoddy memory. FWIW.
Old 01-27-23, 07:34 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by F3Woody
May be something to this.
I had a 2003 Acura CL that was notorious for transmission failure and this topic was discussed, dissected and analyzed ad nauseam in online forums. The consensus, backed by a great deal of data, was that a trans fluid change could actually be a catalyst for damage. Something about how, over the years, the fluid picks up tiny contaminants, metal shavings, etc, but that the transmission actually "gets used to it". And by replacing that with a clean fluid, the whole system goes into "shock", resulting in failure.

It's been years since I was involved with this, I'm just recalling these terms by shoddy memory. FWIW.
I've read that elsewhere as well.
Old 01-27-23, 07:35 AM
hotwings
Intermediate

Before transmissions started getting "sealed", there was almost always a manufacturer's recommended service interval to change the transmission fluid. It might be 60K or 100K miles but it was there. There are rotating friction plates which are sandwiched together that transfer power to the car. When they get worn from normal use, they lose their frictional behavior and start to "slip". Changing the fluid on a regular basis should slow down the speed of wear, since contaminents that promote wear get flushed out. The thinking, like F3Wooddy said, is a transmission that was neglected had wear contaminents which helped prevent slipping of prematurely worn plates. The plates are more worn than if the transmission had been serviced, but now the contaminents themselves are increasing the friction and all seems good. If the fluid is changed, the contaminents are flushed out and the prematurely worn discs now slip. If the fluid had been changed on a regular basis, the plates would have lasted longer. At least that's the theory as I understand it and I'm not a transmission expert, I just read a lot!

Manufacturers are now saying their transmission fluid does not have to be changed which many experts say is bogus. So they seal the units and market them as "non-serviceable". Critics claim this is to appease owners by advertising a lower maintenance cost, since many people don't keep the same car much past 100K miles and the transmisison will likely work that long with no service. Other critics claim a "no service" transmission appeases the EPA by reducing waste oil,even when accounting for recycling.

In patekwis' case, he is questioning if the transmission was ever filled correctly when it was built. This might explain his worse-than-usual shifting problems and I'm guessing the dealer that serviced the car never checked it. There have been some reports of the sealed 8 speed not being filled to the proper level from the factory.

Last edited by hotwings; 01-27-23 at 09:44 AM.
mikemu30 (01-27-23)
Old 01-09-24, 04:27 PM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has this been fixed in 2022?
Old 01-09-24, 04:36 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

I've owned a '24 ES 350 since November and so far so good. I've mostly driven around town, very little highway and have not pushed the car hard but so far its been very smooth.
Mattstermh (01-09-24)
Old 01-10-24, 12:19 PM
Jack1986
Pit Crew

Received 106 Likes on 70 Posts

I have owned my F Sport since early May 2022 and have never experienced a jerky trans. It’s the smoothest transmission I’ve ever had. And I drive it hard in Sport + mode sometimes.
Old 01-10-24, 02:11 PM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

I test drove a 21 F sport but it didn't have Sport +, only Sport. Is Sport + only starting in 2022?
Old 01-10-24, 05:20 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattstermh
I test drove a 21 F sport but it didn't have Sport +, only Sport. Is Sport + only starting in 2022?
ES F Sport models equipped with the Adaptive Variable Suspension system have the Sport + driving mode.

For 2022 and earlier model year F Sport models, only those equipped with the F Sport Dynamic Handling Package have the Adaptive Variable Suspension system. For 2023 and later model years, all (and only) F Sport Handling model types have the Adaptive Variable Suspension system and it is a standard equipment item for those model types.

See the model type and year appropriate Owner's Manual in the "4-5. Using the driving support systems" subchapter's "Driving Mode Select switch" section for more details.
Mattstermh (01-10-24)
Old 01-10-24, 05:59 PM
Mattstermh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by grp52
ES F Sport models equipped with the Adaptive Variable Suspension system have the Sport + driving mode.

For 2022 and earlier model year F Sport models, only those equipped with the F Sport Dynamic Handling Package have the Adaptive Variable Suspension system. For 2023 and later model years, all (and only) F Sport Handling model types have the Adaptive Variable Suspension system and it is a standard equipment item for those model types.

See the model type and year appropriate Owner's Manual in the "4-5. Using the driving support systems" subchapter's "Driving Mode Select switch" section for more details.
Gotcha. So is the suspension different at all on the F sport vs the base one? If so, it sounds like there are 3 total suspensions - base, f sport, and f sport with sport +?
Old 01-12-24, 06:29 AM
Ltvscout
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

My '23 is night and day better than my '19 was.
Old 01-13-24, 08:25 PM
hotwings
Intermediate

I took the plunge and went for a '24 ES 350 and closing in on 1000 miles so far so good (Insert crossed fingers).
I have not driven it hard yet but absolutely no compaints with shifting.

Quick Reply: Do you experience jerkiness in transmission with your ES350?