ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Dynamic Map Update $ -- What's your Version?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 01:06 PM
ccuttner
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynamic Map Update $ -- What's your Version?

2019 ES300h UL with Nav. Sort of annoyed by lots of subscriptions and some "trial" subscriptions that have to earn their renewal...

I went to the 'map data' page and followed the 'update' path -- and received a "can't update contact your dealer" -- I fell for this language once before -- It's Lexus-speak (so the technician says) for: "there is nothing to update"...

We're now into 2021 and the map version still shows the map version as [2018-03-01]... Even going to the Lexus (Android) App and drilling down to enter data from the map screen in the vehicle, nada.

What's YOUR current map data version and, therefore, are "Dynamic Map Updates" worth anything? I continue to use Google Maps and find in-car nav less than optimal.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-21, 02:23 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I also have dynamic map update on my car and thought that the maps were continuously updated until the subscription expires. Confusing...
Old 04-01-21, 02:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I also have dynamic map update on my car and thought that the maps were continuously updated until the subscription expires. Confusing...

I think that is correct. I know that, with my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid, which has the same version of navigation as the new Lexus cars, when I enter a destination, the system pauses until it can get updated map information and directions from the cloud. I think that, once the 3 year trial subscription expires, unless the paid subscription is renewed, the system will just get directions from the map information that is already loaded in the car.
The following users liked this post:
bc6152 (04-01-21)
Old 04-02-21, 09:32 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that is correct. I know that, with my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid, which has the same version of navigation as the new Lexus cars, when I enter a destination, the system pauses until it can get updated map information and directions from the cloud. I think that, once the 3 year trial subscription expires, unless the paid subscription is renewed, the system will just get directions from the map information that is already loaded in the car.
I agree with that analysis, but if we don't renew that service, I wonder if there is an update process like the older nav systems that can be installed every few years rather than paying for the monthly subscription.

I suspect the reason ccuttner saw a 2018 map date is simply because that was the base load for his or her particular 2019, before any cloud/dynamic information was retrieved. I also wonder if that dynamic information is cached or retained, or if it gets removed/overwritten after some specific period of time or a storage capacity limit has been reached and requires purging of old data in order to load new data. I think there is too much "vagueness" behind the Toyota/Lexus dynamic nav. I wish they would publish specific details about this particular system so we knew more about HOW it works and could make any necessary plans accordingly.

Last edited by TechNut; 04-02-21 at 09:35 AM.
lesz (04-02-21)
Old 04-02-21, 09:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I agree Doug, too many loose ends where one doesn't know all the details...
Old 04-02-21, 10:21 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

Vehicle navigation systems have always had a static base of data embedded when the car was built.
As roads are built and business are added or changed the data changes and can be updated periodically.
Early systems were multiple CD's (really!) then DVD's, some had HDD drives and lately, micro SD chips.
Update methods range from simple, DVD's and SD chips to difficult, HDD drives but all involved paying for
licensing fees to the Data publishers and a labor charge particularly for the HDD that involves over an hour
of TechTool to vehicle connection time.

Dynamic Navigation involves real time Data updates of road and POI info generally and traffic conditions
specifically to your route. Included for a three (3) year trial on Lexi. Uses the Lexus App and your phones
data plan to enhance your travels. Similar to Siri/Alexa it has enhanced voice recognition and up to date
POI information. Creates changes to the static data that your car was built with.

We have always has the option of updating our Nav data. This thread addresses the value of continuing to use
the Dynamic Nav and whether it is worth paying for. How often do use Nav and how tough is it to create your
Point B's?
Old 04-02-21, 10:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TechNut
I agree with that analysis, but if we don't renew that service, I wonder if there is an update process like the older nav systems that can be installed every few years rather than paying for the monthly subscription.

I suspect the reason ccuttner saw a 2018 map date is simply because that was the base load for his or her particular 2019, before any cloud/dynamic information was retrieved. I also wonder if that dynamic information is cached or retained, or if it gets removed/overwritten after some specific period of time or a storage capacity limit has been reached and requires purging of old data in order to load new data. I think there is too much "vagueness" behind the Toyota/Lexus dynamic nav. I wish they would publish specific details about this particular system so we knew more about HOW it works and could make any necessary plans accordingly.
Those are all great questions, and I'd like to know the answers to them, too.

My guess, which is admittedly influenced by cynicism, is that, when the 3 year trial ends and if you don't buy a paid subscription, the map data would return to its initial state at the time when the car was built, but that is a complete guess.

Also, I'd wonder, if the data does not return to its initial version, if one could periodically pay for a subscription for a couple of months and, then, discontinue the subscription and have the updated data base remain in the car's system. I suspect that that will not be the case, but, again, that is just a guess.
Old 04-03-21, 09:13 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

Official Lexus statements on Dynamic Navigation Update Process (condensed)

The vehicle owner has 3 options regarding updating their Dynamic Navigation:
1. Update the embedded maps and also extend dynamic navigation for another 2 years (If it's within 90 days of
expiring or has already expired). This can be done in the shop or entirely through the Lexus app by the vehicle owner.
2. Only get an embedded maps update in the dealership’s shop without extending the dynamic navigation services
(This can only be done in the shop if their dynamic navigation trial/subscription hasn't expired yet).
3. Do nothing and keep the embedded maps the car came with when they bought it. The navigation system, traffic info,
voice commands, etc. still work, the maps simply just won’t update with new streets automatically anymore.

If the vehicle owner decides to get a Dynamic navigation update (option 1), it will update the embedded maps on their
vehicle and also enable dynamic navigation updates for 2 more years. If the vehicle owner chooses not to update their
Dynamic Navigation, the vehicle navigation system will revert back to the original map data that existed when the vehicle
was purchased new (or the last time an embedded map update was performed on the vehicle). The vehicle cannot retain
newer roads and POI data in memory after Dynamic Navigation expires due to how dynamic navigation functions: the system
boots up and loads the embedded maps, then immediately overlays new roads on top by loading that data from the cloud.

It is possible for the vehicle owner to update their dynamic navigation on their own through the Lexus app. This process is
intended to be done entirely by the vehicle owner and is a part is ordered from the Lexus app directly. This method will
update the embedded maps in their vehicle and also extend Dynamic Navigation for 2 more years. If they order this part
through the app, they cannot then bring that same part into a Lexus dealerships shop to perform the update via TIS.
The total cost of updating through the Lexus app is $169.00 for the part.
The following 4 users liked this post by mcomer:
bc6152 (04-03-21), dhschneide (04-06-21), lesz (04-03-21), TechNut (04-03-21)
Old 04-03-21, 09:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer

1. Update the embedded maps and also extend dynamic navigation for another 2 years (If it's within 90 days of
expiring or has already expired). This can be done in the shop or entirely through the Lexus app by the vehicle owner.
2. Only get an embedded maps update in the dealership’s shop without extending the dynamic navigation services
(This can only be done in the shop if their dynamic navigation trial/subscription hasn't expired yet).
3. Do nothing and keep the embedded maps the car came with when they bought it. The navigation system, traffic info,
voice commands, etc. still work, the maps simply just won’t update with new streets automatically anymore.

If the vehicle owner decides to get a Dynamic navigation update (option 1), it will update the embedded maps on their
vehicle and also enable dynamic navigation updates for 2 more years. If the vehicle owner chooses not to update their
Dynamic Navigation, the vehicle navigation system will revert back to the original map data that existed when the vehicle
was purchased new (or the last time an embedded map update was performed on the vehicle). The vehicle cannot retain
newer roads and POI data in memory after Dynamic Navigation expires due to how dynamic navigation functions: the system
boots up and loads the embedded maps, then immediately overlays new roads on top by loading that data from the cloud.

It is possible for the vehicle owner to update their dynamic navigation on their own through the Lexus app. This process is
intended to be done entirely by the vehicle owner and is a part is ordered from the Lexus app directly. This method will
update the embedded maps in their vehicle and also extend Dynamic Navigation for 2 more years. If they order this part
through the app, they cannot then bring that same part into a Lexus dealerships shop to perform the update via TIS.
Great information. Thanks.
Old 04-03-21, 09:56 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
Great information. Thanks.
Agreed. Very helpful. Finally some clarity on the Dynamic Navigation in these newer vehicles. Thank you mcomer!

What is interesting, is I never even noticed that "Navigation Update" section in the app. Is that new or am I just that "blissfully unaware"?

I do also see that this option is only available on our 2019 ES, the option is not present on our new 2021 RX. Given it will be three years before our Dynamic Nav expires on the RX, I have to wonder if this is an option that will only appear with time?

Last edited by TechNut; 04-03-21 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 10:30 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Geez, what would we do without you... Thanks...
Old 04-03-21, 01:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

If the cost of updating the maps through the app is $169, does that include the cost of extending the subscription by 2 years, or is there and additional charge for extending the subscription?

TIA
Old 04-03-21, 01:58 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Very confusing. And I went onto the app and looked for the option of buying or renewing the Dynamic Maps and couldn't find anything. There is an option for Destination Assist, remote, and Safety Connect but no maps/nav option. ?? All of them are $8.00 a month or $80.00 a year...
Old 04-03-21, 04:55 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bc6152
Very confusing. And I went onto the app and looked for the option of buying or renewing the Dynamic Maps and couldn't find anything. There is an option for Destination Assist, remote, and Safety Connect but no maps/nav option. ?? All of them are $8.00 a month or $80.00 a year...
I found it down under the subscriptions in a section labeled “glovebox”:

And then the next menu after selecting Navigation Update shows:

Last edited by TechNut; 04-03-21 at 07:34 PM.
bc6152 (04-03-21)
Old 04-03-21, 07:22 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TechNut
I found it down under the subscriptions in a section labeled “glovebox”:

And then the next menu shows:

I'm guessing that the "Navigation Update" option only appears in the "Glove Box" if there is a navigation update available for that particular vehicle. I checked both the Lexus app and the Toyota app (which are identical). The other options, including FAQ, Manuals and Warranties, Connected Tech Support, and How-to-Videos appear for both my Lexus and ES and my Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, but Navigation Update does not appear for either.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Map Update $ -- What's your Version?