ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Infotainment System Replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 06:37 AM
juniorg21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infotainment System Replace

I'm probably going to get roasted for this but I hate this generation's infotainment system across the board. I'm getting ready to transition from the military to civilian life and am looking for a new daily driver. My Tacoma has treated me well but its time to treat myself a little. I love the current Lexus ES and IS models. I used to have a 2007 Camry SE and it reminds me of it and I loved that car. I'm leaning more towards the ES due to the size (I'm 6'3). Anyways, the only thing holding me from pulling the trigger on the ES is that I hate everything about this generation's Lexus infotainment systems. I hate how far and high up on the dash the screen is and I hate the track pad. What I do like are these new Tesla-style Andriod head units. Unfortunately, it doesn't like like one of those units would transition into the current generation's IS or ES due to the dash configuration and location of the current screen. Is it at all possible for Lexus to get creative and possibly swap the current dash and center console maybe from a 2017 Camry and install an Andriod touch screen? Yes I'm willing to go to all that trouble, I hate this generation's dash configuration that much. How bad would that break the bank? Has anyone seen anything similar done? Would appreciate any insight anyone could provide.

Last edited by juniorg21; 04-05-21 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 07:12 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

While I agree with most of your complaints regarding the design of the infotainment system, the changes you desire would, IMO, be so expensive that I would recommend, depending on your level of dissatisfaction, that you look at another manufacturer's cars. These cars are so complex, and each system is interconnected with the next that regardless of your budget I think it would be foolhardy. Check out Audi, BMW, Benz, maybe Genesis, Volvo, and others. It seems to me that the vehicle manufacturers just can't get it right. This feature is one of the largest areas of complaints among car buyers. And this includes the domestic makers as well such as Ford, GM, and FiatChrysler. GOOD LUCK in your quest...
Old 04-05-21, 07:32 AM
juniorg21
Driver School Candidate

End of the day I'm 90% sure I'll still get an IS or ES regardless. I'm just a tech guy and the infotainment system makes my skin crawl and I'll just have to let it grow on me.
The following users liked this post:
Lovelace77 (09-02-22)
Old 04-05-21, 08:35 AM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by juniorg21
End of the day I'm 90% sure I'll still get an IS or ES regardless. I'm just a tech guy and the infotainment system makes my skin crawl and I'll just have to let it grow on me.
There are touchscreen version of the ES infotainment screen with different interface and more function displays (also includes Carplay and AA) from Chinese factories, cost under $1000.

juniorg21 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 09:05 AM
juniorg21
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! what corner of the internet can those be found? might be right up my alley.
Old 04-05-21, 09:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,652 Posts

While using Apple Car play I find myself needing little or minimum interaction with the system. I set my route on GPS and plug the phone in. It's there. Or you can use the touch pad to quickly set a pre-set option. Change the radio, do it quickly on the steering wheel. The only things that take longer than they should using the touchpad are toggling A/C on/off, directing airflow, or setting "DUAL" temp on/off. but those are options i rarely use so it gets a pass.

other than that the design of the dash is baked in. it's classy and relatively higher end than a Camry/corolla/Civic --the kinds of cars where you'd have a smallish touch screen front and center right by the volume ****.

Look at a BMW, Mercedes E Class, S class etc, the screens are typically positioned upper tier. not center.

The tesla is an exception due to using a large screen that's fundamental to 100% of the vehicle's functions due to the car interior in general having minimal to no buttons to interact with.
juniorg21 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 09:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

btw the install of those chinese products involves tearing apart of half of the interior to install. you down for doing that? aside from the wiring.

aside from the quality issues those alibaba-type infotainment systems often come with, along with troubleshooting "my xx or yy doesn't work now"

I'd just learn to love what you have. not worth the hassle.

(many years experience of modding, retrofitting cars)
juniorg21 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 09:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
btw the install of those chinese products involves tearing apart of half of the interior to install. you down for doing that? aside from the wiring.

And that's the down side of modifying electronics today. Difficult to get it all back together and rattle free...
juniorg21 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 09:58 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. in some ways cars aren't made (in terms of materials) like they used to be. today maximum profit is the goal. that means thinner parts.
juniorg21 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 12:29 PM
clqw
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you! what corner of the internet can those be found? might be right up my alley.
Here is one of the many selling something similar.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001975444427.html

I think this simply involves taking out the top trim piece, and swapping the infotainment screen unit (plug and play), and may not need to take apart the whole dash to access the back end boxes like other installations for adding AA. I'm not 100% positive, so you would need to contact the seller for more installation info.
Old 04-05-21, 06:17 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

I use CarPlay to bypass the Lexus Infotainment system entirely. See the message I just posted in the "Dynamic Map Update $ -- What's your Version?" thread.
Old 04-06-21, 04:49 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 597 Likes on 417 Posts

I would just wait until end of there year and see Lexus will update ES to touchscreen. That way you won't really need the touch pad.
Old 04-06-21, 06:17 AM
rebel7254
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The track pad (aka remote touch) is fairly easy to master if you spend more than 10 minutes with it. The hate is completely overblown and undeserved IMO. It's especially silly when you consider the fact that - once you've set up your vehicle customization and preferences - the time you're required to use the remote touch interface is extremely limited. You can control navigation with voice, and you have dedicated buttons for climate and audio. What are you going to be using the track pad for on a regular basis? You'll never need to touch it in 95-99% of your trips in the vehicle.

Here's an idea, since your heart is set on the ES anyway. Get one and actually drive it for a month, and if you still think the infotainment/remote touch is so horrible, then you can start contemplating spending big bucks and hours on trying to overhaul it. If you'll do that, odds are you'll learn that the interface is not a big deal and you'll save a lot of time and money.
TechNut (04-06-21)
Old 04-06-21, 06:52 AM
TR2911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone to believe the OP is serious about replacing the infotainment unit in a new car needs mental help. Take a step back and think about it for a minute. OP researches a new car while exploring the option to replace/reconfigure the entire stock infotainment unit and asking the group for feedback. I realize we are in a pandemic and people are bored and love to post random **** on the forum, but this is as useless as the guy who was posting pics of his front license plate frame like he won the lottery.....

Last edited by TR2911; 04-06-21 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 06:55 AM
rebel7254
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TR2911
OP researches and buys a new car THEN decides to replace or inquire how to replace the head unit by asking the group for feedback..
OP has not bought the car yet.

Anyways, the only thing holding me from pulling the trigger on the ES is that I hate everything about this generation's Lexus infotainment systems.

Quick Reply: Infotainment System Replace