ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2022 Lexus ES Refresh tease photo (redesigned headlights)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 07:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by bee144
What else could we see with a redesign other than updated front/rear lights?

I know in the Avalon mid-refresh, they also did an updated infotainment system and that was largely it besides new bumper covers and lights.

I’ve also seen Toyota do different bumper covers and adding more USB ports.

Nothing too wild based on their track record.

I’m hoping for an AWD ES300h with an electric motor on the rear axel.
As I already stated in my first post, it appears the front bumper has been reworked. There appears to be a bulge at the front grill... seems to be in line with Toyota's latest design language where there's a prominence at the front grill surround. Kind of bubbly. Not sure if I'll like it. I am not sure about the rear yet. The speculation is that it's unchanged based on the teaser video but I haven't really seen Lexus update only one side of the car. Or any car company, really. So we'll have to see.

As far as what else, probably more interior colors, possibly an additional exterior color, possibly updated interior trim and standard options.
Old 04-16-21, 09:09 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
As I already stated in my first post, it appears the front bumper has been reworked. There appears to be a bulge at the front grill... seems to be in line with Toyota's latest design language where there's a prominence at the front grill surround. Kind of bubbly. Not sure if I'll like it. I am not sure about the rear yet. The speculation is that it's unchanged based on the teaser video but I haven't really seen Lexus update only one side of the car. Or any car company, really. So we'll have to see.

As far as what else, probably more interior colors, possibly an additional exterior color, possibly updated interior trim and standard options.
Expecting wireless AppleCarPlay.
Old 04-16-21, 09:28 AM
bee144
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Expecting wireless AppleCarPlay.
that would be awesome but I’m skeptical because Toyota was basically the last company to adopt CarPlay.

wireless CarPlay has been barely adopted by any manufacturers right now. I wouldn’t expect Toyota who is routinely not leading the tech front to jump ahead.

my bet is we won’t see it until the 8th or even 9th gen
Old 04-16-21, 09:33 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I'd be on board with wireless car play so long as the music quality doesn't take a hit as is normally the case with wireless music. I tested this the other day wired vs. wireless and there is a small but perceptible difference in quality. That's the only gripe I have with wireless ACP. Though for navigation it would rock. If they can configure it to where you can choose how you want music streamed, that would be cool.
Old 04-16-21, 09:45 AM
Shaboom
Racer

I'd be on board with wireless car play so long as the music quality doesn't take a hit as is normally the case with wireless music. I tested this the other day wired vs. wireless and there is a small but perceptible difference in quality. That's the only gripe I have with wireless ACP. Though for navigation it would rock. If they can configure it to where you can choose how you want music streamed, that would be cool.
Actually, I use Bluetooth for music from my iPad to the Lexus system. I notice no loss in quality. I’m no audiophile but I’m very satisfied with wireless and hope Lexus adopts it for ACP.
Old 04-16-21, 10:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i am using an iphone 12 pro. there's a loss. you'll notice if you're picky and play the same song, same volume, same app, same device and switch back and forth.

apple is notorious to audiophiles for its sort of crappy streaming music codecs over BT. hopefully they improve on that for the next gen iphone.

for now i stay wired unless listening casually.
Old 04-16-21, 11:04 AM
Shaboom
Racer

yeah i am using an iphone 12 pro. there's a loss. you'll notice if you're picky and play the same song, same volume, same app, same device and switch back and forth.

apple is notorious to audiophiles for its sort of crappy streaming music codecs over BT. hopefully they improve on that for the next gen iphone.

for now i stay wired unless listening casually.

I use the BT in the car from my brand new Apple IPad Air 4. It’s really very good, though admittedly, not as deep and strong a signal as when it’s wired. Understandable.
Old 04-16-21, 11:08 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by radiologym
Lets see what else is new. Wireless Carplay?
here are the cars that have wireless AppleCarPlay. Lexus should be in this list.

Which Cars Offer Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for 2021?

Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

• BMW: 2 Series Gran Coupe, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, 8 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
  • Buick: Encore GX, Envision
  • Cadillac: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
  • Chevrolet: Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer
  • Chrysler: Pacifica
  • Dodge: Durango
  • Ford: Bronco, F-150, Mustang Mach-E
  • GMC: Acadia, Sierra 1500, Sierra 2500/3500, Yukon, Yukon XL
  • Honda: Accord
  • Jeep: Grand Cherokee L (not regular Grand Cherokee)
  • Hyundai: Elantra, Palisade
  • Kia: K5, Sorento
  • Mercedes-Benz: S-Class
  • Nissan: Rogue (not Rogue Sport)
  • Volkswagen: Atlas (2021.5 only), Atlas Cross Sport, Arteon, Golf GTI (not regular Golf), Jetta, Tiguan

Wireless Apple CarPlay Only

• Audi: A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
  • BMW: 2 Series coupe and convertible, X1, X2
  • Mini: Clubman, Convertible, Countryman, Hardtop
  • Mazda: Mazda6, MX-5 Miata
  • Porsche: 911, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera
  • Toyota: Supra
Old 04-16-21, 11:28 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
here are the cars that have wireless AppleCarPlay. Lexus should be in this list.

Which Cars Offer Wireless Apple CarPlay or Android Auto for 2021?

Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

• BMW: 2 Series Gran Coupe, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, 8 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, Z4
  • Buick: Encore GX, Envision
  • Cadillac: CT4, CT5, Escalade, Escalade ESV, XT4, XT5, XT6
  • Chevrolet: Camaro, Corvette, Malibu, Silverado 1500, Silverado 2500/3500, Suburban, Tahoe, Trailblazer
  • Chrysler: Pacifica
  • Dodge: Durango
  • Ford: Bronco, F-150, Mustang Mach-E
  • GMC: Acadia, Sierra 1500, Sierra 2500/3500, Yukon, Yukon XL
  • Honda: Accord
  • Jeep: Grand Cherokee L (not regular Grand Cherokee)
  • Hyundai: Elantra, Palisade
  • Kia: K5, Sorento
  • Mercedes-Benz: S-Class
  • Nissan: Rogue (not Rogue Sport)
  • Volkswagen: Atlas (2021.5 only), Atlas Cross Sport, Arteon, Golf GTI (not regular Golf), Jetta, Tiguan

Wireless Apple CarPlay Only

• Audi: A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, E-Tron, Q3, Q5, Q7, Q8
  • BMW: 2 Series coupe and convertible, X1, X2
  • Mini: Clubman, Convertible, Countryman, Hardtop
  • Mazda: Mazda6, MX-5 Miata
  • Porsche: 911, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera
  • Toyota: Supra
Not that I care about this but it's odd how the manufacturers are handling this - why would Hyundai equip the Elantra with it but not a single Genesis model is on the list?
Old 04-16-21, 12:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Not that I care about this but it's odd how the manufacturers are handling this - why would Hyundai equip the Elantra with it but not a single Genesis model is on the list?
You'd be absolutely shocked at how a 12 cent savings on a part can result in massive profits over hundreds of thousands of units--and not exaggerating with my figure of 12 cents. Now imagine manufacturers doing this on parts that cost over a dollar and over multiple parts.

Depends on the profit margin on a Genesis vs. hyundais and where each manufacturer decided it needs to spend its budget on. Possibly not enough units sold to justify spending X amount on a feature that won't necessarily = meaningful amount of sales.
Old 04-16-21, 05:25 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You'd be absolutely shocked at how a 12 cent savings on a part can result in massive profits over hundreds of thousands of units--and not exaggerating with my figure of 12 cents. Now imagine manufacturers doing this on parts that cost over a dollar and over multiple parts.

Depends on the profit margin on a Genesis vs. hyundais and where each manufacturer decided it needs to spend its budget on. Possibly not enough units sold to justify spending X amount on a feature that won't necessarily = meaningful amount of sales.
I hear you - everything comes down to the P&L. But its the same darn company. Do they really want to nickel and dime their premium consumers that way🤔
Old 04-18-21, 06:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

It's official. The 2022 ES adds touchscreen. Whoopdedamndo😀
Old 04-18-21, 07:09 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
It's official. The 2022 ES adds touchscreen. Whoopdedamndo😀
That would be such an improvement over the trackpad deal that I find too distracting to safely use while driving. Big improvement.
Old 04-18-21, 07:27 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Your new 2022 touchscreen-

The following users liked this post:
AndrewLWSN (04-25-21)
Old 04-18-21, 07:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

https://pressroom.lexus.com/2022-lex...xsFAGpG-U_-ByA
The following users liked this post:
DavidZ (04-18-21)

Quick Reply: 2022 Lexus ES Refresh tease photo (redesigned headlights)