ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

No Rear Camber Adjustment on 7ES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 11:01 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts
Default No Rear Camber Adjustment on 7ES?

I took my 2019 ES 350 to the dealer last week. When you drive into the service garage, there's a machine that measures your wheel alignment. The results appear on a large screen TV. I've driven through this device before and was in alignment. This time I wasn't. So, I agreed to have them do a wheel alignment.

When I got the car back, they gave me the attached graphic that shows the measurements before and after the alignment. I noticed that the right rear camber measurement is at the very edge of the acceptable range after the alignment. Also, there's a narrower range on the printout, which I'm guessing represents the proper range after an alignment.

I called the service rep, who checked with their top technician and he said that the rear camber 2019 ES is not adjustable. Does that sound right to you?
Attached Files
Old 04-21-21, 06:43 AM
GS430LUVR
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would also like to know. I recently lowered my ES7 and the right rear camber looks a little negative. I am going to get it aligned this week.

Old 04-21-21, 07:43 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

The rear lower control arm seems to have eccentric hardware according to this 7ES diagram so I think it has camber adjustment like most modern cars. He probably meant front.

Old 04-21-21, 08:09 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
The rear lower control arm seems to have eccentric hardware according to this 7ES diagram so I think it has camber adjustment like most modern cars. He probably meant front.
No, we were definitely talking about the rear. Did you look at the PDF I attached to post #1?
Old 04-21-21, 08:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I did, all that does is tell me what your settings are.

I used to do alignments back in the day using a 6 figure rack. and have torn apart quite a few suspensions.
Old 04-21-21, 08:18 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I did, all that does is tell me what your settings are.

I used to do alignments back in the day using a 6 figure rack. and have torn apart quite a few suspensions.
Do you see how far off center the right rear camber measurement is? Is that acceptable after an alignment? Am I correct in guessing that the inner narrow range is where the measurement should be after an alignment?
Old 04-21-21, 08:25 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

It would be nice if it were closer to the other side but it's not alarming. Any excessive wear relative to the other side would take quite a while to show up if it even does.

Spend $100 on another alignment and that would eat into the cost of a new tire, should you ever needed one due to the difference.

So I'd just ride that until you need new tires again in a few years or if it bugs you, have another shop redo it (or show your tech that bolt I showed you)
Old 04-21-21, 09:09 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

It would be nice if it were closer to the other side but it's not alarming. Any excessive wear relative to the other side would take quite a while to show up if it even does.

Spend $100 on another alignment and that would eat into the cost of a new tire, should you ever needed one due to the difference.

So I'd just ride that until you need new tires again in a few years or if it bugs you, have another shop redo it (or show your tech that bolt I showed you)
Thanks. I just emailed the diagram to my service rep and asked him if it shows that there is a rear camber adjustment on the 2019 ES 350. He responded "I’m not sure, that’s not the picture that’s my parts department sent me." So, I emailed him back asking for the picture his parts department sent him.

What does the narrower range represent. Am I correcting guessing that it represents the range that one should expect after an alignment?
Old 04-21-21, 09:13 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that's what I found on the google by searching 2019 lexus es350 rear suspension diagram. i haven't worked on or been near a 7ES suspension but it looks to me like that bolt has adjustments (based on the diagram).

I'm not sure what you mean by "narrower range"

if it's green its in spec, but the closer the better. (relative to the other side)
Old 04-21-21, 09:26 AM
DavidZ
Instructor

I'm not sure what you mean by "narrower range"

if it's green its in spec, but the closer the better. (relative to the other side)
On the PDF I attached there a notch at the top of each green (or red) rectangle illustrating the acceptable range. If you look closely, there's an even narrower notch, representing a narrower range. This narrower range represents a more precise range for some purpose. I'm guessing that narrower range represents the measurement you should expect (or target) after an alignment. What do you think this narrower range represents?
Old 04-21-21, 09:49 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think those are just visual cues for the tech to look at while he's sweating under the car contorted in an advanced yoga position. i wouldn't read too far into it. spec is spec.

and being out of spec doesn't necessarily mean bad. all in all i'd say your alignment is fine... by definition. it's in green.

in the old days, i used to align my car *out* of spec on purpose, for an advanced performance alignment.

i would say don't overthink it, green is green and you're fine. the car's suspension angle is dynamic anyway and is always fluctuating as you drive. the closer the better but not the end of the world if it's not perfect. the more sensitive spec anyway is toe. that's the one where you need it to be bang on as possible.
Old 04-21-21, 01:42 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

The service rep just emailed me back saying that that bolt adjusts the toe, not the camber.
Old 04-22-21, 05:14 AM
GS430LUVR
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested in this, as i just lowered mine and need to get it aligned. The camber on my drivers side rear is slightly negative since the lower. I guess there's only one way to find out, put it on the rack

Old 04-22-21, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

That diagram I sent you has three parts in it with eccentrics. One of them according to the parts diagram is called "camber adjustment #2" -- again I haven't looked at the suspension IRL so i can't say 100% for sure. Depends on whether or not that control arm is in line with the center of the hub. If it's offset, I could see it being a toe adjustment. Check the Camry forums.

I can't devote much time to this other than to say any actual camber problems you have would have to be because you lowered your car or hit something. But again I don't think this is worth spending time thinking about.
Old 04-22-21, 07:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS430LUVR
I'm interested in this, as i just lowered mine and need to get it aligned. The camber on my drivers side rear is slightly negative since the lower. I guess there's only one way to find out, put it on the rack
They make aftermarket camber arms for the Camry so if you insist on making camber changes that are out of the bounds of stock setup, then you may want to look at those.

Quick Reply: No Rear Camber Adjustment on 7ES?