Shaboom
Racer

Default What Should Be Here?

Is there something missing from these two rectangular spaces

that my dealer forgot to include?
Old 04-25-21 | 07:44 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

No, I don't believe you are missing anything. Maybe in another market. I use the empty space for a few of my own tools or gloves.

Dave Mac
Old 04-25-21 | 07:48 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. Maybe in another market. I use the empty space for a few of my own tools or gloves.

Dave Mac
Spare stash of Bazooka for long trips!
Old 04-25-21 | 09:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Those shapes and the one in the very center are very specific. It must be a cutout for another market. If it were just cutouts for the manufacturing process one would expect them to both be the same shape. Frankly, I would be more interested in seeing what kind of tool/adapter/fishhook fits in that center spot?
Old 04-25-21 | 09:43 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by TechNut
Those shapes and the one in the very center are very specific. It must be a cutout for another market. If it were just cutouts for the manufacturing process one would expect them to both be the same shape. Frankly, I would be more interested in seeing what kind of tool/adapter/fishhook fits in that center spot?
Good point. I didn’t notice. Could someone else, who has an item in that slot, please tell us what the item is. Could be important.
Old 04-25-21 | 10:20 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Good point. I didn’t notice. Could someone else, who has an item in that slot, please tell us what the item is. Could be important.
Just Googled it. That middle slot is customarily empty on all 350 ES. Must hold something for another model and they used the same shelf for both cars.
Old 04-25-21 | 10:39 AM
grp52
Instructor

U.S. built ESes don't have the towing eyelet feature. The empty central slot in the photo is where the towing eyelet is stowed in ESes built with the towing eyelet feature. The Lexus ES350 Owner's Manual has the detailed information on the towing eyelet and in the 2019 version on page 363 in the "Location of the spare tire, jack and tools" section there is a figure showing that's the slot where the towing eyelet is stored.

P.S. If you look closely in the various ES videos and photos you can discern towing eyelet ES versions from non-towing eyelet versions by noting the presence (or non-presence) of two rhomboid access panel seams in the front bumper - one on each side of and close to the front grill.
The following 3 users liked this post by grp52:
bc6152 (04-25-21), DaveGS4 (04-27-21), mcomer (04-27-21)
Old 04-25-21 | 10:47 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by grp52
U.S. built ESes don't have the towing eyelet feature. The empty central slot in the photo is where the towing eyelet is stowed in ESes built with the towing eyelet feature. The Lexus ES350 Owner's Manual has the detailed information on the towing eyelet and in the 2019 version on page 363 in the "Location of the spare tire, jack and tools" section there is a figure showing that's the slot where the towing eyelet is stored.

P.S. If you look closely in the various ES videos and photos you can discern towing eyelet ES versions from non-towing eyelet versions by noting the presence (or non-presence) of two rhomboid access panel seams in the front bumper - one on each side of and close to the front grill.
Wow, are you knowledgeable! Any idea why the two empty rectangular recesses?
Old 04-25-21 | 01:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

There was another thread a year or two ago about his exact subject.
Old 04-25-21 | 05:55 PM
grp52
Instructor

... Any idea why the two empty rectangular recesses?
I have no clue as to the purpose of the rectangular recesses. I also checked a few non-USA pdf download versions (from the UK and Australia) and they also show the same "Location of the spare tire, jack and tools" section figure as the USA version of the Owner's Manual including the empty rectangular recesses.

It is different arrangement for "emergency tire puncture repair kit" (no spare tire) equipped ESes. Copied from the UK Owner's manual version:

Trunk stowage configuration for 'Emergency tire puncture repair kit' equipped ES

B - Emergency tire puncture repair kit (compressor)
E - Emergency tire puncture repair kit (bottle) [contains the puncture sealant]

As can be seen, the arrangement is different. There are empty recesses; however, the recesses aren't shaped the same as spare tire equipped vehicles. So, if Lexus intended those empty recesses to be used for anything other than end user storage hidey-holes Lexus would have to have some spare tire/non-spare tire specific usage in mind.
Old 04-27-21 | 10:08 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
There was another thread a year or two ago about his exact subject.
...and if I remember the OP on that one, wouldn't take any response as a valid answer.
Old 04-27-21 | 10:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
...and if I remember the OP on that one, wouldn't take any response as a valid answer.
Not losing any sleep over this one regardless.
Old 04-27-21 | 12:03 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeeSoFL
Not quite correct:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...the-trunk.html
Old 04-27-21 | 12:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
Yep looks like the answer was for the middle tool but not the larger rectangular openings.
Old 04-27-21 | 01:17 PM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

The moral of both threads is, not every hole gets a peg.

Quick Reply: What Should Be Here?