ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Just A Little Worried

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 08:26 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 486 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Just A Little Worried

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find it.
When brand new 2021 ES 350 car was delivered (with under 100 miles and 9 weeks ago) , to familiarize myself with the car, I checked the oil. Level was at top dot on dipstick.
Now, 9 weeks and 1400 miles later, I checked it in preparation for trip from FL to PA. It is at 3/4—down from top dot by 1/4. Is this normal during break-in?Should I top it off before starting the trip. Yes—-I will, of course, keep an eye on it during the trip. It just seems like a bit too much oil use In 1400 miles and 9 weeks. Just a little worried.
Old 04-25-21, 09:32 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by Shaboom
I’m sure this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find it.
When brand new 2021 ES 350 car was delivered (with under 100 miles and 9 weeks ago) , to familiarize myself with the car, I checked the oil. Level was at top dot on dipstick.
Now, 9 weeks and 1400 miles later, I checked it in preparation for trip from FL to PA. It is at 3/4—down from top dot by 1/4. Is this normal during break-in?Should I top it off before starting the trip. Yes—-I will, of course, keep an eye on it during the trip. It just seems like a bit too much oil use In 1400 miles and 9 weeks. Just a little worried.
Let it set a while longer for oil to flow back in. Checked it again. Actually, it’s down only 15% or 20%. Still, isn’t that unusually high oil consumption even during break-in and only after 1400 miles?
Old 04-25-21, 01:40 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Let it set a while longer for oil to flow back in. Checked it again. Actually, it’s down only 15% or 20%. Still, isn’t that unusually high oil consumption even during break-in and only after 1400 miles?
Mine has never consumed a drop of oil in 32k miles. Did you loosen the filler cap before you checked the level and was it on level ground?
Old 04-25-21, 01:50 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Mine has never consumed a drop of oil in 32k miles. Did you loosen the filler cap before you checked the level and was it on level ground?
Never heard of that. Are you suggesting that I do it or do not do it? Yes, I moved the car to level ground, s
letbthe engine warm up, then shut it down then waited 10 minutes then checked it. Down about 15% to 20% from top dot.
Old 04-25-21, 02:08 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Just checked it again. Loosened filler cap first. Still only 75 to 80 to the second dot. I’ll check it each evening during our trip and if worst comes to worst stop at an AutoZone and buy a can of 0-20 and have the kid pop it in, half a quart at a time. Then, I’ll call Lexus service when we get home to Pittsburgh.
At this point, I’m still attributing it to break-in but it sounds excessive to me. Hope I don’t have a bad unit. If there’s no leak, what might be the cause?
Old 04-25-21, 03:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Same engine in our RX as well. Similarly, it has NEVER consumed a drop of oil in 52K miles. Just watch yours as perhaps it's an issue while being broken in.
Old 04-25-21, 03:57 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 191 Posts

Down about 15% to 20% from top dot.
That is not normal for a brand new spanking vehicle. Keep a very close eye on it during your trip and document it as you are going to need it at the dealership. 10+ years ago my brand new Acura TL was doing similar thing brand new. Most manufacturers include an escape clause in their manual saying something about it is normal to burn a quarter of oil every 1,200 miles blah blah. I wish you luck. To make my long story short I went through the lemon law and the lawyer recommend to settle it out of court at the end of the long journey. The law firm took like 40% of the fee so I ended up with about $2,500 and I traded in the car soon after as I didn't want to deal with it and know the oil consumption will only get worse as the car ages.

I feel bad for the next owner. I wasn't legally required to disclose the issue. The carfax report is clean as a whistle.

Last edited by ionian; 04-25-21 at 03:58 PM. Reason: ...
Old 04-25-21, 04:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I guess piston rings can take a few thousand miles to seat properly?
Old 04-25-21, 05:25 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Maybe I shoulda’ bought that new Cadillac after all. Just that I expected trouble free service from a new Lexus. Very disconcerting. Last thing in the world I need at my age is repeated stressful trips to Lexus Service Department at best and Lemon Law litigation, at worst. Unhappy and disappointed. Maybe after break-in, it’ll all settle down. Let’s hope.
Old 04-25-21, 06:02 PM
ionian
Instructor

It would be prudent to pay the dealer a visit after your trip to get your issue on the record. Hopefully Lexus will make you whole. Acura refused to do for me and instead let their lawyers do the speaking. Needless to say after that incident I haven't been back to Acura and bought many vehicles and none of them is Acura.
Old 04-25-21, 06:30 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe I shoulda’ bought that new Cadillac after all. Just that I expected trouble free service from a new Lexus. Very disconcerting. Last thing in the world I need at my age is repeated stressful trips to Lexus Service Department at best and Lemon Law litigation, at worst. Unhappy and disappointed. Maybe after break-in, it’ll all settle down. Let’s hope.
My guess it is highly unlikely this will become an issue but who knows. Top it off before you leave FL and check it every 500 miles on the way. Let us know how things turn out and safe travels.
Old 04-25-21, 07:57 PM
DavidZ
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 218 Posts

Why not take it to the dealer now to ask why it's low and get on record?
Old 04-26-21, 09:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I've built and rebuilt engines.

Oil consumption on a new engine isn't unheard of.

Any oil level comparisons must be done at the same time after shut down. So check A) 5 min after shutdown, Check B) 5 min after shut down. Etc etc. See owners manual as to see exactly when to check since that's hot the dots on the stick are calibrated

Typically takes between 600 and 1,200 miles for rings to set.

Initial break in is important. No harsh acceleration, no idling for extended periods, no extended drives at the same RPM.

If you measure correctly and you still read a difference after your next change, then report back or ask your dealer.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a non issue and you're just overreacting a bit or reading too much into things.
The following users liked this post:
mike995134 (04-26-21)
Old 04-26-21, 09:28 AM
ionian
Instructor

It has been over 1,400 miles that Shaboom put on his vehicle. If it hasn't sealed correctly by now I highly doubt it will without a repair since modern engine is built to a much more tight tolerance than in the past. Hopefully we are overreacting and the issue goes away on its own. I think we all curious once he makes it to his destination and check the result once more.
Old 04-26-21, 05:59 PM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by ionian
It has been over 1,400 miles that Shaboom put on his vehicle. If it hasn't sealed correctly by now I highly doubt it will without a repair since modern engine is built to a much more tight tolerance than in the past. Hopefully we are overreacting and the issue goes away on its own. I think we all curious once he makes it to his destination and check the result once more.
Good report, gentlemen. Drove from Marco Island Fl to Gainesville today. Had dinner then went out to check oil. Car sat on level for a good half hour after turning engine off, rather than the mere 5 minutes owners manual directs. Held my breath,checked it and found it to be closer to top than yesterday before this long drive. Now down only maybe 10%, which I can live with and attribute to break-in loss of oil, etc. I’ll post tomorrow after another 300 miles of driving on Rt. 75 with load of luggage and two adults. I’m feeling better. Let’s hope it lasts.

Quick Reply: Just A Little Worried