ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2020 ES300h Cruise Control Stalk

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 08:57 PM
billmayer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 ES300h Cruise Control Stalk

Why did they remove the cruise control stalk in the 2020 ES300h? The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel have no differentiating feel. You can't activate or deactivate without looking at the steering wheel so dangerous. The prior cruise control stalk lever was easy to use, easy to activate/deactivate and you never had to look at it. Newer is not better!
Old 05-01-21, 03:44 AM
LeeSoFL
Advanced

Received 222 Likes on 145 Posts

Control is on the right side of the wheel on my '19. Was there a stalk on different models back in 2019?

Old 05-01-21, 04:35 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You are so right! Stalk cruise was great! Button cruise sucks...........
Old 05-01-21, 08:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by billmayer
Why did they remove the cruise control stalk in the 2020 ES300h? The cruise control buttons on the steering wheel have no differentiating feel. You can't activate or deactivate without looking at the steering wheel so dangerous. The prior cruise control stalk lever was easy to use, easy to activate/deactivate and you never had to look at it. Newer is not better!

+1
Old 05-01-21, 08:48 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

I agree. The stalk was used for so many years on various Toyotas and Lexus vehicles, it was just second nature and I didn't have to think about it. Oddly enough, my 2021 RX uses the familiar stalk. Yay!

I can see how the design team likely thought moving it to the steering wheel made for a cleaner implementation and I am slowly getting used to it. I do wish they would give the on/off a different/brighter color or something so it only takes a quick glance rather than a concerted "study" while driving. Then perhaps the +Res could have a bump and the -Set could have a dimple. The radar distance setting could have indented lines perhaps, to represent distance from the car in front. The bottom line is make it easer to launch with a glance and then manipulate by feel. Anyway, so much for my fantasy re-design...
Old 05-01-21, 03:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

We have both with my wife's RX and my ES. They both work just fine.
Old 05-01-21, 05:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

It appears that Lexus and Toyota have moved to putting the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel for all/most of their models. My 2017 ES has the old cruise control stalk, and my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid has the controls on the steering wheel.

I found that I very quickly got used to having those controls on the steering wheel of the RAV4, and I actually like it better that way. For me, it is easier to see what I'm doing with only a quick glance.
The following users liked this post:
tp0908 (06-18-21)
Old 05-03-21, 07:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,658 Posts

it's cause not only does it make the car overall less expensive and easier to operate (in terms of everything in one place), it allows for a more upscale feel and look vs. a traditional Camry from 1988 that uses a plastic lever that juts out.

so a win/win/win/win/win. except for the few that prefer the old style.

i agree the new system takes more attention to use but so does the radio compared to said 1988 Camry.
Old 05-05-21, 05:12 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

With the stalk system a driver could develop a sort of muscle memory or touch feel memory so that one did not have to look down and take eyes off the road. I could actually use it to drive in light traffic by going on and off the + and - functions. I am thinking of attaching small raised buttons to improve the tactile feel of the on the wheel system.
Old 05-05-21, 12:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

New for 2021 ES's...• The OK and CANCEL buttons on the steering wheel-mounted controls have been slightly raised for improved tactile recognition.
MikeP (05-10-21)
Old 05-06-21, 03:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I rarely use cruise and after reading this post I was out in the car today and tried using the buttons for the various actions. I found that I couldn't do it without looking at the buttons.
The first time I used the cruise control about two years ago when the car was brand new, I inadvertently turned on the radar cruise. The car was accelerating and slowing down by itself and I thought something was wrong with the car. The raised buttons are a good idea by Lexus...
Old 05-10-21, 08:43 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CJS57
You are so right! Stalk cruise was great! Button cruise sucks...........
I soooo agree with the cruise control stalk.

With the stalk system a driver could develop a sort of muscle memory or touch feel memory so that one did not have to look down and take eyes off the road. I could actually use it to drive in light traffic by going on and off the + and - functions. I am thinking of attaching small raised buttons to improve the tactile feel of the on the wheel system.
Where will you be getting the 'small raised buttons' to attach?
Old 05-11-21, 11:08 AM
mickbrown
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I rarely use cruise and after reading this post I was out in the car today and tried using the buttons for the various actions. I found that I couldn't do it without looking at the buttons.
The first time I used the cruise control about two years ago when the car was brand new, I inadvertently turned on the radar cruise. The car was accelerating and slowing down by itself and I thought something was wrong with the car. The raised buttons are a good idea by Lexus...
If you want to use “regular” cruise control, press the main cruise control button and hold for ~ 1.5 seconds. Pressing it for < 1.5 seconds turns on the radar cruise control.
bc6152 (05-11-21)
Old 05-12-21, 03:25 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Attach raised tiny buttons using: Round "new dress shirt" pin heads attached to the middle of the + and - buttons by micro drilling a shallow hole and then epoxy the pin head with a short shank into the hole. Or heat the pin head red hot and let it melt into the button. Have not done this yet, but plan to.
Old 05-12-21, 11:53 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 568 Likes on 399 Posts

Attach raised tiny buttons using: Round "new dress shirt" pin heads attached to the middle of the + and - buttons by micro drilling a shallow hole and then epoxy the pin head with a short shank into the hole. Or heat the pin head red hot and let it melt into the button. Have not done this yet, but plan to.
For a non-destructive trial run, you might want to try some version of tactile overlay stickers that are available for the visually impaired or blind to add on to various buttons/controls so they can feel with their fingers location, orientation, and/or function. Some are simple bumps; some are simple shapes; and some are simple braille character.

I'm not certain as to the size of each sticker but the HALOS Tactile Stickers for microwave, washer, or oven looks promising.

Quick Reply: 2020 ES300h Cruise Control Stalk