ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Trim Around Windows Turning Color

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 11:39 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My ES has NEVER been through a car wash - hand wash every week and it still has that.
There goes that theory! Try Stoner's trim shine. It works miracles!
Old 05-07-21, 08:36 AM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Then, find a "hand" car wash. It will cost more, but what's your car's exterior worth?

Personally, I don't see why more people don't take the initiative to wash their own cars. They'll spend hours at the gym to exercise on machines and don't see it as "work," but, ask them to wash their own car and melt into a puddle of lazy goo. It's not that hard if you do it right, and once you get into a routine, it's not all that time consuming either.

I don't let anyone wash my cars, not even the "free" wash offered by the Lexus dealer when getting service. In fact, if they would allow it, I'll ask the dealer to not "prep" my next new car. You can't trust the lowest ranked/paid employees at the dealership to treat your exterior/interior properly!

Did you ever consider it may not be possible or practical for everyone to hand wash their own car? Many people because of their age or health may not be capable of doing this. Also what if someone lived in an apartment? Others may may not have the time to do it because of their lifestyles! It's not only about being lazy as you state!
Old 05-07-21, 12:46 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carsareus
Did you ever consider it may not be possible or practical for everyone to hand wash their own car? Many people because of their age or health may not be capable of doing this. Also what if someone lived in an apartment? Others may may not have the time to do it because of their lifestyles! It's not only about being lazy as you state!
Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. The "lazy goo" comment was directed at people who will work their butts off at the gym, but would never even consider washing their own car. And sure, some live in apartments. I should have said, for those who have the place to wash their own cars...

The "time" factor is more of a priority issue. If one cares about the life of their exterior, one will make the time. Once one gets the process down, it can be done in less than an hour.

My comments are to encourage people to take good care of their cars. If my words weren't inspirational to you, I apologize!
Old 05-07-21, 01:26 PM
spedteach
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken every car I've ever owned to the car wash. I've never had an issue like this. Especially on a car less than a year old. I don't think hand washing is better and I don't think taking it to a car wash caused it. My brother owns a 3 year old Chevy Cruz and has only ever taken it to the car wash. The rubber trim on his car is all perfect. For a car this expensive and only 10 months old, it shouldn't look like this.

Thanks to all who offered advice on what to do. I will be taking it in for service and to have the trim looked at this weekend.
Old 05-07-21, 01:48 PM
carsareus
Intermediate

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. The "lazy goo" comment was directed at people who will work their butts off at the gym, but would never even consider washing their own car. And sure, some live in apartments. I should have said, for those who have the place to wash their own cars...

The "time" factor is more of a priority issue. If one cares about the life of their exterior, one will make the time. Once one gets the process down, it can be done in less than an hour.

My comments are to encourage people to take good care of their cars. If my words weren't inspirational to you, I apologize!

It wasn't inspiration to me considering I've spent $4700 for paint protection on my car so I wouldn't have to hand wash it every time. If that isn't taking care of your car I don't know what is!
The following users liked this post:
AllinCLE (09-12-21)
Old 05-07-21, 05:27 PM
ionian
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by carsareus
I've spent $4700 for paint protection on my car...
wow. Was that for the whole vehicle?
Old 05-07-21, 06:30 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spedteach
I don't think hand washing is better and I don't think taking it to a car wash caused it.
OK, the carwash didn't cause your trim discoloration. I'll concede that point. However, hand washing is generally better for preserving the exterior of your car, without a doubt!
Originally Posted by spedteach
My brother owns a 3 year old Chevy Cruz and has only ever taken it to the car wash.
Give it a few more years (if a Chevy Cruz lasts that long) and you will see signs of dull paint and trim caused by the automatic car wash.

I'm not saying hand washing is for everyone, but If I spent $50K on a new car, I would do everything I could to preserve it! If you don't feel the same, that's fine.
Old 09-07-21, 03:37 PM
Woffski
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue as spedteach. Took my car in for service and showed/explained my concerns with this issue. Service advisor told me they took photos and will send it to Lexus and I would receive a call from someone at Lexus. Well, it never happened. I sent my Service Advisor a email and he responded that Lexus told him that it was not a part "failure", therefore, it was not a warranty issue. I just sent an email to Lexus. We'll see what they say.
Old 09-08-21, 03:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,160 Likes on 750 Posts

I would still take it back to Lexus since still under warranty. Have used this product on black trim and does extremely well. I stopped having the Lexus dealership wash my cars after service because after every time the black aluminum front windshield moulding trim would be dull with small marks. The only thing that would restore it back to the original condition was car wax.

Old 09-09-21, 01:32 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Why don’t you stop digging? Your comments make you sound like a judgmental pompous a$$. Your lame clarifications are worse. I am quite sure there are many things a lot of people do for themselves that you chose not to do for whatever reason. Does that make you a lazy goo?

Last edited by artbuc; 09-09-21 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-09-21, 04:00 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by artbuc
Why don’t you stop digging? Your comments make you sound like a judgmental pompous a$$. Your lame clarifications are worse. I am quite sure there are many things a lot of people do for themselves that you chose not to do for whatever reason. Does that make you a lazy goo?
I already apologized for my comment. Get a life.
Old 09-09-21, 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

That is super weird...just strange even the way that trim has a seam right there in the middle like that...

As for washing ones own cars....I own a business and have young children, I have no time to wash my cars. Sure I could MAKE time, but that would be time taken away from other things that are more important. Plus, I don't like washing cars so why would I subtract time from things I do enjoy? Exercising at the gym is important for your health and well being...
Old 09-09-21, 04:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Artbuc, wilson2000 exit this thread. No need for the rude personal comments.
Old 10-03-21, 03:55 PM
Woffski
Driver School Candidate

Well, if you all are experiencing this issue, Lexus will not be of any assistance. Good to know. I was considering buying that expensive V-8 they have coming out in 2022, but they (Lexus) helped me make my decision... I will not be buying another Lexus...
Old 10-04-21, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Woffski
Well, if you all are experiencing this issue, Lexus will not be of any assistance. Good to know. I was considering buying that expensive V-8 they have coming out in 2022, but they (Lexus) helped me make my decision... I will not be buying another Lexus...
There wont be an expensive V8 coming out in 2022 from Lexus lol

Quick Reply: Trim Around Windows Turning Color